Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - First Flight to Tokyo

Brad

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I thought that was a boot, but it's actually a legit release by the Something Else label out of Japan. They partnered a lot with Blue Note for a good while, wonder why thins on never came over...anyway, I found a nicely-priced copy on discogs and it's on the way.

I looked at that nicely priced copy and didn't jump. :excited:

Edited by Dan Gould

On 15/09/2021 at 9:55 PM, JSngry said:

I hope Lou doesn't go off on his "Wayne Shorter can't play changes" trip in his interview....

Aww c, mon - that's part of the reason a Lou Donaldson interview will always make me smile - and learn a hell of a lot if you pay close attention to the deeper stuff he talks about. I recently re-read that epic interview with Ted Panken, what an amazing memory for detail and nuance of psycho-social context the great man has (Lou Donaldson).  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cannot comment on any hi-res version, but in terms of the balance of the mono recording, it's a good, engaging live recording that is above average for this time period. Maybe the bass is just slightly low in the mix, but everybody are generally captured well, except for short moments off-mike. 

I'm listening to the first disc now. I agree mostly with Daniel above. The sound is pretty good as far as hearing each instrument. Perhaps just a tad bright. But rather than mono so far it sounds to me as if it's a badly balanced stereo recording with far to much information in the right channel.

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I'm listening to the first disc now. I agree mostly with Daniel above. The sound is pretty good as far as hearing each instrument. Perhaps just a tad bright. But rather than mono so far it sounds to me as if it's a badly balanced stereo recording with far to much information in the right channel.

Okay I am re-listening to disc 1 and though I think it may be a stereo recording with a slight bias to the right channel, what I was hearing yesterday was due to a system glitch I guess (I was breaking in a new pair of rectifiers in the Monoblocks and I have new fuses still breaking in). The imbalance between left and right is far less today, close to normal. I was pretty sure if everyone was hearing what I had heard yesterday there would be more comments to that effect. Good news--this is a better recording and better playback than I thought.

Edited by jazzbo

Anyone got the CD already? EMI quality control was acquired by Universal (or soaked up by Zev F. – the recent Evan's has some minor mistakes, too), my copies' booklet jumps from back of front cover (prob. p.2 but it's not numbered) to p.5 (thus in the back I don't get a track list etc.). Should I even try the hassle of a return with Mr. Space Penetrators empire?

Listening to CD's now.  Sound doesn't knock me out, though it's plenty good enough.  Packaging is pretty great.   Performances are longer than other versions we've heard by this group (Morgan/Shorter/Timmons/Merritt/Blakey).  Worth having, for sure.

It became available here in The Netherlands a couple of weeks ago and I have already given it a few spins.

Audio is not spectacular but decent enough. The programme - as one might expect -  is somewhat more conservative than on American gigs, where Shorter's tunes were entering sets. 

I just checked my booklet, but no binding-errors here.

Edited by Mark13