Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - First Flight to Tokyo

Brad

The selections have all appeared elsewhere, so I will pass on this set.

I just dug out the 1960 set at Birdland, because I was re-arranging it all into consecutive order. (Why not? It was live, and we are not now constrained by release schedules and the LP time limit.) It all fitted onto one CD if the two versions of "The Theme" are cut short; plus, I don't like a certain M.C. who was described as something rude by Prez, so I made sure that his squeak is not heard. Prior to that, I did the same with the 1959 Birdland set, which has Hank Mobley. I don't like Wayne's work on the 1960 set - very harsh and it suffers by comparison with Hank's mellow sound. I am a big Shorter fan, and I like "Mosaic" and "Free For All, and Wayne is fantastic on Freddie Hubbard's amazing "Ready For Freddie" album, which was one of my first Blue Note LPs.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

The selections have all appeared elsewhere, so I will pass on this set.

These two discs worth of Blakey/Wayne/Lee/Bobby in Japan have appeared "elsewhere"?  I'd like to know where that was because it's being promoted as never-before-released, and I know its not the same as the "day in Japan" releases back in the 90s.

I do have somewhere a multi-generation copy of a video of them in Japan but that was with a Japanese big band ...

38 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

What I meant is that the tunes have been issued from other sessions, not from this new one.

Yeah but these are new live performances. That's enough for me to spring for it. Especially with Bobby and Lee. Not concerned either about the "conservative" tune selections ...

• 5 months later...