George Mraz (1944 - 2021)

soulpope

10 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’m sure I heard him live a few times (at least), but off the top of my head I’m remembering him with Joe Henderson’s trio (with Jack D). Maybe with McCoy Tyner too.

His playing was pretty incredible with Joe Henderson. I saw him play with Joe in a trio twice and George's bass playing was superb.

George Mraz was a superb bass player, with a great sound. He will be missed.

He certainly had great intonation, but he wasn't the only one. Red Garland said that (at whatever point he said it) Doug Watkins had the best intonation of all the bassists he played with. I listen carefully to the bass on recordings and I've found that pretty much all of the well-known ones play in tune most of the time. As a saxophone player, I am amazed that they can do so without frets. How do they remember where to place their fingers? (Rhetorical question.)

My favorite bass player is Ron Carter, and I've never heard him play a bad note. Paul Chambers is arguably the best of all jazz bassists. He was almost always in tune, and even if he wasn't, his superb feel and sound was enough to make the music good. No complaint from me.

George Joyner was way off on the late 1957 sessions with Red Garland (Paul should have been used.) and it spoils the music for me. Curley Russell sounded bad on Bird's "Now's The Time", but was O.K. on other sessions, notably the Blakey Birdland date with Lou Donaldson. Pee Wee Marquette was out-of-tune though.

Andy Simpkins has great intonation on the Three Sounds sessions, and always plays a nice double-stopped tenth just when one thinks it would be good to include.

And Ray Brown was always in tune.