Catesta?

ghost of miles

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

No, he was not.

Actually, there's only been one that I know of - Paul Secor. And hey kinda took his own car on that one.

I'm another one, though I still occasionally lurk and post here, but I keep my posts at a minimum. There are more who left because of you, but I'm not going to name names, I only speak for myself. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Edited by J.A.W.

People are too prickly, and ought to develop a thicker skin. If one or more of the people — even mods — around here are an ass on occasion (and even a big pain in the ass now and then), that’s just the way it goes.

People (imho, too) easily bent out of shape, are likely to find plenty things not to their liking where ever they want to find them.

Have I gotten rubbed the wrong way by stuff here on occasion? Sure. Did I let it piss me off enough to want to jump ship? Well, doing so would have been more to my own detriment, than to anyone else here.

I do have some sympathy for those who have felt aggrieved here and there — but they (like me) shouldn’t let it get to them/myself. Life’s a lot easier when you don’t let stuff drag you down. In most cases — especially in terms of online discussion forums — it’s just not worth getting worked up over (even when you think or know you are in the right).

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I do have some sympathy for those who have felt aggrieved here and there — but they (like me) shouldn’t let it get to them/myself. Life’s a lot easier when you don’t let stuff drag you down. In most cases — especially in terms of online discussion forums — it’s just not worth getting worked up over (even when you think or know you are in the right).

So how does that work in the current case of the Sexiest Album Covers thread?  It would be nice if Sangrey didn't "let stuff drag you down," and in fact leave it alone.  Instead, he's intent of stinking up the place.  I am seriously thinking of cutting down my yearly $ contribution to this board because Sangrey thinks he owns this place.

36 minutes ago, mjzee said:

So how does that work in the current case of the Sexiest Album Covers thread?  It would be nice if Sangrey didn't "let stuff drag you down," and in fact leave it alone.  Instead, he's intent of stinking up the place.

No idea, I only peruse the Sexiest Album Covers thread periodically — and even then, I sure ain’t reading it “for the articles” (or the nouns, adverbs, prepositions, or any other part of speech).

If a particular thread or topic gives you heartburn, just avoid it.

I get that something rustled your jimmies — mine get rustled now and then too. But a conscious effort to just not let anything bother you is all it takes — to preserve one’s jimmies in a unrustled state.

I occasionally fail at it, but by and large I try not to let shit get to me. And more often than not, it doesn’t. Takes a little practice, but after a while, it’s kinda second nature.

I’m not taking anyone’s side in all this — nor am I defending anyone. If someone’s a pain in the ass, so be it. Doesn’t mean they have to be a pain in MY ass.

• 1 year later...

Strange, I don´t remember that nick. 
I think those whom I know from writing here all have been long time users who write almost every day. 
Well I remember one guy from Ex-Iugoslavia with the nick MMilorad or something like that, who had a Lester Young pic as avatar and I liked what he rote. But I haven´t read him for some years. Hope he´s doin well. It was no easy times for that neighbour country for many years, first some civil war when Miloșevici was their president, then some petrol embargou and things like that...

But he was a real jazz expert and knew all the stuff.....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Well I remember one guy from Ex-Iugoslavia with the nick MMilorad or something like that, who had a Lester Young pic as avatar and I liked what he rote. 

I believe you're thinking of "mmilovan".

Catesta was one of the "original" members here, as was Jim R.

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I believe you're thinking of "mmilovan".

Catesta was one of the "original" members here, as was Jim R.

2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Milan was doing fine the last time I was in touch with him, maybe two years ago. Nowadays he's only lurking on this board, more active elsewhere.

Thank you both ! About "original members" .....I came in later that´s why maybe I don´t know them.

On 9/18/2021 at 3:02 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

People are too prickly, and ought to develop a thicker skin. If one or more of the people — even mods — around here are an ass on occasion (and even a big pain in the ass now and then), that’s just the way it goes.

People (imho, too) easily bent out of shape, are likely to find plenty things not to their liking where ever they want to find them.

Have I gotten rubbed the wrong way by stuff here on occasion? Sure. Did I let it piss me off enough to want to jump ship? Well, doing so would have been more to my own detriment, than to anyone else here.

Yeah, I almost left once because of clementine but we worked it out and are cool. I miss Paul Secor.

It's easy enough to mute posts by people that annoy you. I've done that for one or two folks, none of whom have (so far) posted in this thread. Surely some have done the same for me.

I've muted one guy who I believe is no longer around.  Prickly opinions opposed to mine I'm fine with (this forum is not for the faint of heart - a different forum crowd called us "wild and woolly').  Direct attacks on me because I don't agree with your opinion, not so much.   I see Jim as one of the great things about this forum, and I've learned a lot about this music from him.   Never knew Catesta.   I liked Paul, but he could be awfully prickly himself, and I experienced being on the other end of that.

haha, yeah, the feet get old. 

this place was and is my jazz education -- I knew some about the music before hopping on, but the level of expertise and experience here is mind-boggling. Jim and I may have butted heads a few times but I can't remember them so I'm inclined to think that if it ever happened it wasn't serious.

the political threads' disappearance is probably for the best. It's an easy place to get shit stirred up; I mostly avoided it.

49 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

This place was and is my jazz education… …the level of expertise and experience here is mind-boggling.

Amen, amen, and amen — 1,000x over.

The collective knowledge and wisdom around here is unparalleled, in terms of a singular place to get good info, discographical or otherwise — and a solid variety opinions and historical perspectives.  And the BS-quotient is normally quite low, all things considered (a rarity in this world, especially online).

I wouldn’t know 1/4th of what I know about jazz without this place — and might not have ever discovered probably close to 1/3rd of the titles in my entire collection — or easily only discovered things a decade or more later than I did.

This place has been a serious blessing in my life (and despite my use of the terms ‘amen’ and ‘blessing’ here… for the record, I’m really more of an atheistic-leaning agnostic).