21 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Frank sounds excellent -- a lot like Sonny Stitt on those Prestige sides with Bud Powell. Also, one tune they play is "Bouncing with Bud," which had only been recorded and released by Bud with Sonny and Fats months before the tape was made. Frank starts his solo by quoted Sonny's solo from the record. What you hear are the cats assimilating the latest bebop from NY n real time. Tommy Flanagan sounds amazingly assured -- a full six years before his recognized recording debut in NY. Not a great piano so hard to hear his touch, but it's definitely a smooth articulation. 

But back to Frank, here's a record he made at the same time, 1950, with Barry Harris. This was Barry's first recording too.

To my ears, Frank Foster sounds better on this 1950 recording than he does decades later. Barry Harris was an outstanding jazz piano player from the beginning until now.

I recall hearing bass player Ray McKinney back when I lived in Detroit. Thought he was quite good. As I recall, he was on a couple of recordings, but soon seemed to disappear from view. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

To my ears, Frank Foster sounds better on this 1950 recording than he does decades later. Barry Harris was an outstanding jazz piano player from the beginning until now.

I recall hearing bass player Ray McKinney back when I lived in Detroit. Thought he was quite good. As I recall, he was on a couple of recordings, but soon seemed to disappear from view. 

Yes, I particularly like early Frank Foster. This one from 1954 with a French rhythm section is a favourite:

R-16089953-1603913857-1390.jpeg.jpg