RIP Dr. Lonnie Smith

sgcim

It is a terrible news.  RIP.

The Good Doctor visited Japan several times and I could catch some.  I heard that he really loves Japanese "Mugi Choco" (chocolate-coated wheat puff, cheap but good stuff).  Hope he can get tons of them up there.

My favorite in his later years:

Edited by mhatta

One of my favorites--it seems I was fortunate enough to see him live eight times, but never in the city where I live.

May 29, 2007: Jazz Standard, New York

January 31, 2014: Carver Center, San Antonio

May 1, 2014: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 25, 2015: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

July 30, 2016: Lensic, Santa Fe

September 29, 2017: Antone's, Austin

January 11, 2018: Jazz Standard, New York

April 25, 2019: Snug Harbor, New Orleans

I first saw him with Lou Donaldson and he really impressed me. 

And I saw a film from German TV about Lou Donaldson with Lonnie Smith. There was a sound check without Lou and Lonnie Smith played a very fast version of Dizzy´s "Blue´n Boogie". That was first class bop on organ !!! 

I didn´t know he was "only 79" when he died. When I saw him around 2000, maybe due to that strange turban and that long an weird beard he looked much older than the maybe 50+ he was at that time. And he had that really hoarse voice like Miles Davis. 

I saw later fotos of him with a cane, so maybe he really had been  quite frail or sick for some times. 

43 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

He didn't need the walking stick. Like the turban and the Dr, it was a commercial affectation.

MG

Oh I see ! And not to forget his huge rings on his fingers. Some people might wonder how he could play with it, but I know how that is, since I also wear more rings than just my wedding ring:D

1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I saw Dr Lonnie in 2000 at the Brecon Jazz Festival, here. He's the only musician ever who got me so excited I couldn't help screaming.

RIP.

MG

This is very sad news, especially so as he was still active musically. It was around 2003-4 that I got to see him at the Jazz Cafe in London with Lou Donaldson. Very glad that I did. RIP, sorry that he is no longer with us.

One memory implanted in my mind is of him coming through the main door into the gig with a couple of Tesco carrier bags. Surreal. Also the beaming face of Steve Winwood stood next to me digging Lonnie’s playing.

Edited by sidewinder

August 2008, NYC, Charlie Parker Jazz Festival, Marcus Garvey's park, just before the Rashied Ali's set. A man with a smile bigger than life  finds its way to the seat right behind me, it's Dr. Lonnie Smith. I must have stared at him like 10 seconds until he gave me huge wink! Those little trivia that made that journey even more memorable.

Thank you for the music!

When I saw that famous photo with Iggy Pop from when his last album came out I remember I thought he looks really much younger than Pop. But that can have something to do with Iggy Pop's lifestyle and with Smith wearing a turban. At the time I thought he was older, but I'll check now. They can easily be in the same age group. Iggy Pop is also in his 70s IIRC.