RIP Dr. Lonnie Smith

sgcim

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Man, RIP to a legend. Can only wish I got to see him live. Damn. 

Same here. He performed in Frankfurt a few years ago, but not with his trio but guesting with some band I definitely did not like, and only for a short one hour part of a festival, so I didn't go. 

RIP, and thanks for so much exciting music.

Edited by mikeweil

12 hours ago, sidewinder said:

One memory implanted in my mind is of him coming through the main door into the gig with a couple of Tesco carrier bags. Surreal. Also the beaming face of Steve Winwood stood next to me digging Lonnie’s playing.

That's great! I was just thinking at the weekend how he was one of the greats I hadn't managed to catch yet...

About the turban:

1) Not long after 9/11, I saw him at Blues Alley. He talked to us for a few minutes afterwards from the bandstand about all the hassles he was getting when flying. I almost thought he was admitting to us that he was, in fact, a sikh, but just did not advertise it.

2) A few years later, I saw him at the Kennedy Center. There were 30 or so sikhs with turbans waiting to sign CDs afterwards. It was clear from the conversation that they thought he was 'one of them' and I did not think I should argue.

So was he really a sikh? I still don't think so, but I am not 100% sure.

All I know is he was a super sweet guy and a fabulous musician. The last of the B3 giants from that generation. I will miss him. 

3 hours ago, bertrand said:

About the turban:

1) Not long after 9/11, I saw him at Blues Alley. He talked to us for a few minutes afterwards from the bandstand about all the hassles he was getting when flying. I almost thought he was admitting to us that he was, in fact, a sikh, but just did not advertise it.

2) A few years later, I saw him at the Kennedy Center. There were 30 or so sikhs with turbans waiting to sign CDs afterwards. It was clear from the conversation that they thought he was 'one of them' and I did not think I should argue.

So was he really a sikh? I still don't think so, but I am not 100% sure.

All I know is he was a super sweet guy and a fabulous musician. The last of the B3 giants from that generation. I will miss him. 

Well wearing something on the head that lets others supose that you are a member of a certain nation or religion always can give room for speculations.....

Let´s say if he  wore the turban just as a gimmick, a decoration,  and it had nothing to do with sikh, most will know this, and others will think he was a sikh.

When I was very young and thought I must be a bit "dizzy" just to be identified, I wore a red Fez I had bought in Tunisia, and had that Eric Dolphy type beard. Especially in summertime when I was quite tanned it happend that people in clubs asked me if I´m a muslim......

I'm not sure if it's the place or time, but my main memory of Dr. Smith's music is driving down the motorway blasting out Afro-Desia completely lost in the moment, only for both of my kids to suddenly get explosively car sick, followed by my wife too. The car never recovered, and a year later I am still not allowed to play Dr. Lonnie Smith in the house because my wife is so traumatised.

Anyway, RIP to one of the greats. There are few jazz players who could completely hypnotise me with their solos in the way that Smith could. 

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm not sure if it's the place or time, but my main memory of Dr. Smith's music is driving down the motorway blasting out Afro-Desia completely lost in the moment, only for both of my kids to suddenly get explosively car sick, followed by my wife too. The car never recovered, and a year later I am still not allowed to play Dr. Lonnie Smith in the house because my wife is so traumatised.

Just don't drive your house and there should be no issues. :g

• 5 weeks later...