BFT 210: the reveal

Pim

Maybe one day too early but I am really busy coming days and I don't think there are any more contenders? It really was a pleasure composing this BFT and reading the reactions. Just a few remained unidentified. Here we go.

R-5906780-1553979359-9720.mpo.jpg

1.      1. European Boogie by Angles 9 from the album Injuries (Clean Feed)

With: Martin Küchen (alto, tenor saxophone), Erik Hegdal (soprano saxophone, baritone saxophone), Goran Kafjes, Magnes Broo (cornet) Mats Alekint (trombone), Mattias Stahl (vibes), Alexander Zethson (piano), Johan Berthling (bass) Andreas Werilin (drums)

The jazz on Organissimo is mostly oriented on the US and less on the European scene. Clean Feed is a label that produces lots of interesting stuff by jazz musicians from the old continent. Angles 9 is a group from Sweden. Have to admit that I only know Magnus Broo. Great, dynamic music with lots of energy. Was mostly linked here to Don Cherry and his experiments. Group was identified by mjazzg

R-8198703-1460188335-9037.jpeg.jpg

2.      2. Talmai by Flaga from album Book of Angels Volume 27 (Tzadik)

With: Craig Taborn (piano), Christian McBride (bass), Tyshawn Sorey (drums)

Funny no one heard the connection with Zorn’s music. I do like some out of these series and this one is definitely among them. Great trio. Most people disliked the drumming of Sorey. I thinks he gives it some extra energy. This one remained ID’d though someone did guess Sorey’s name after a few hints.

R-2636542-1579562155-5430.jpeg.jpg

3.      3. Re-Entry by Charles Sullivan from the album Re-Entry (Why Not)

With: Charles Sullivan (trumpet), Kenny Barron (piano), Buster Williams (bass), Billy Hart (drums)

Charles Sullivan is one underappreciated guy that did not make a lot of appereances unfortunately. Heavily influenced by Shaw and Tollvier but still managed to keep his own thing going. This is a group that can’t do a lot wrong. Barron is on fire here. ID’d by Randy Hersom

R-3148585-1548020394-1109.jpeg.jpg

4.      4. Sock it to Me Socrates by Eric Kloss from the album ‘In The Land of Giants’ (Prestige)

With: Eric Kloss (alto saxophone), Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone), Jaki Byard (piano), Richard Davis (bass), Alan Dawson (drums)

Well he did walk with giants on this album. Kloss was one funky cat and I really like his Prestige/Muse output. He also seems to be a little bit forgotten.  ID’d by Felser.

R-13109287-1548203654-8556.jpeg.jpg

5.      5. 13th by Michel Petrucciani from the album Live in Karlsruhe (SWR Jazzhaus)

With: Michel Petrucciani (piano), Gary Peacock (bass), Roy Haynes (drums)

The little man from France is one I often revisit. This recent release of a live concert is fantastic with some originals and some standards. I love the way he interacts with Peacocks bass reminding but not copying Evans. Have to admit this track might be a little sweet but I like it anyway. Artist was ID’d by mjazzg. Album and bassist remained unidentified.

R-1106902-1192516728.jpeg.jpg

6.      6. Paranoia by Buddy Terry from the album Pure Dynamite

With: Buddy Terry (tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, flute), Woody Shaw (trumpet), Joanne Brackeen (electric piano), Stanley Clarke (bass), Lenny White, Billy Hart (drums), Mtume, Airto Moreira (percussion)

Another man who seems to be largely forgotten. I really like 2 of his Mainstream albums. This is one of them. Jazz fusion with a killer group. Was ID’d by Felser.

R-16200472-1605171851-4943.jpeg.jpg

7.      7. Impressions from Copenhagen by Joe Bonner from the album Impressions of Copenhagen

I really like the fact that most people enjoyed this track. When I found it, it really felt like small hidden gem. The music is sweet but creative anyway. It’s refreshingly something else without getting too difficult. Lovely project. The recent Pure Pleasure issue is fantastic. Felser was the first to get this one.

R-1955083-1421321140-5062.jpeg.jpg

8.      8. The Wedding by Gyorgy Szabados from the album As Eskuvo

No one got this one but no one really liked this Hungarian piano avant-gardist. Might be known for a collaboration with Anthony Braxton. You have to be in the mood to listen to it.

R-6063700-1410117324-4343.jpeg.jpg

9.      9. Sounds of Balochistan by Hera with Hamid Drake from the album Seven Lines

With: Waclaw Zimpel (clarinet, alto clarinet, harmonium), Pawel Postaremcak (tenor saxophone) Maciek Cierlinski (hurdi gurdi), Raphael Roginski (guitar), Ksawey Wjcinski (bass), Pawel Szpura (drums), Hamid Drake (drums, frame drum, voice)

Hera is a fantastic Polish project by Zimpel. The songs are long but there is a lot to be liked here. I love the world music influences and the meditative feel. This album is one of the best from the 2010’s for me. I would have expect someone would recognize Drake’s humming and frame drums. He has done that before. Remained unidentified.

R-1772102-1556212977-4474.jpeg.jpg

110. My Gift to You by Louis Hayes from the album The Real Thing

With: Woody Shaw (trumpet), Slide Hampton (trombone), Rene McLean (alto & tenor saxophones), Ronnie Matthews (piano), Stafford James (bass), Louis Hayes (drums)

These drummers albums tend to get overlooked. Hayes recorded some fantastic albums in the ‘70’s all with killer groups. Shaw is in prime form here. Well: everybody is. A postbop classic I would say.Tom Keith got this one right!

R-1235706-1622128686-9743.jpeg.jpg

11.   11. Doi Moi by Billy Bang from the album Vietnam: Reflections

With: Billy Bang (violin), John Hicks (piano), Curtis Lundy (bass), Michael Carvin (drums)

I love Bang. I really love him. The two Vietnam albums for Justin Time are among his very best and also most accessible. The song I selected isn’t necessarily an example for the sound in general but I think it’s stunning beautiful. Appearances by Henry Threadgill, Ted Daniel and James Spaulding on the other selections. Recommended! Artist and song ID’d by Tom Keith

R-1359206-1336476994.jpeg.jpg

1.   12. The Tree of Life by The Cracow Klezmer Band from the album Remembrance

Funny how everybody was thinking they were listening to Argentinian tango. This really is Klezmer but not the party kind of klezmer. I always had a soft spot for eastern, gipsy and Jewish music. These are some highly skilled musicians from Poland. Remained unidentified.

R-9540768-1482369305-3728.jpeg.jpg

1.   13. What is This Thing Called Love by Kenny Garrett from the album ‘Standard of Language’

With: Kenny Garrett (alto saxophone), Vernell Brown (piano), Charnett Moffett (bass), Chris Dave (drums)

I was a little surprised to read that people found this a hard listen. It is busy and in your face but hey: very much structured and it swings so freakin hard. One of the few jazz songs that is in my gym playlist. Kenny doesn’t get much love around here and I don’t see why. Sure he plays within the tradition but I think his sound is sincere and his musical qualities are incredible. Must admit I don’t like the 2 albums before his latest release. Milestones got this one first.

R-3249858-1422476547-8895.jpeg.jpg

1  14. Summit Conference by Reggie Workman from the album Summit Conference

With: Sam Rivers (tenor saxophone), Julian Priester (trombone), Andrew Hill (piano), Reggie Workman (bass), Pheeroan Aklaff (drums)

I didn’t start with his Blue Note stuff. This was the first album I bought by Sam Rivers and it’s among my desert island discs. That group, that sound, that energy! Reggie can’t do nothing wrong with me. Thom got this one right.

Thanks Pim.  It was a great listen and great fun trying to identify things. I shall now go back and relisten with new knowledge.

I'm surprised that no.2 is Taborn who I tend to really like and with Sorey too. 

no.9 was the one I was really taken by (apart from Bonner which everyone liked) and it was no.9 that I was going to buy when I knew who it was. But, I have it!  Zimpel had a run of very good albums in that period.  He seems to have moved to more electronics based music now.

As for Angles 9, I think that they are very much Martin Kuchen's band who is a fascinating musician working across a very wide spectrum of Jazz and free improvisation. Angles 9 is definitely one of his more accessible projects and a great band at that.

Nice couple of eastern European curveballs too. @Rabshakeh posted a Szabados in 'listening now' recently and that reminded me about him but I never followed it up.

Edited by mjazzg

I enjoyed a lot of this BFT. Surprised how much Taborn sounds like McCoy on that second track. Of the European players included, tracks 1 & 9 were my favorites. I'll probably never warm up to track 8, but I won't let that put me off listening to more Szabados. I really dig Billy Bang as well, but this track wasn't for me and I'm kind of surprised by that, esp since I enjoyed the klezmer track more - that was unexpected. Priester on that Workman track was excellent. Regarding the Garrett track, I liked it but have never sought out any of his work. I did sense boundaries within his playing - like he was conscious of not stretching beyond (not that I'm an expert on these things, but this was something I noticed here); not that that's a bad thing. Thanks for putting this together!

23 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks Pim.  It was a great listen and great fun trying to identify things. I shall now go back and relisten with new knowledge.

I'm surprised that no.2 is Taborn who I tend to really like and with Sorey too. 

no.9 was the one I was really taken by (apart from Bonner which everyone liked) and it was no.9 that I was going to buy when I knew who it was. But, I have it!  Zimpel had a run of very good albums in that period.  He seems to have moved to more electronics based music now.

As for Angles 9, I think that they are very much Martin Kuchen's band who is a fascinating musician working across a very wide spectrum of Jazz and free improvisation. Angles 9 is definitely one of his more accessible projects and a great band at that.

Nice couple of eastern European curveballs too. @Rabshakeh posted a Szabados in 'listening now' recently and that reminded me about him but I never followed it up.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! I already thought you would have the Hera album or at least had heard it. It's great music by a great band. I also love Hamid Drake's drumming. Have to dive into Martin Kuchen so thanks for reminding me of that. 

Thanks guys, I am glad you all enjoyed and attended my BFT. Up to next year :)

I'm sorry but couldn't find the time to listen to the remaining tracks. I wonder if I would have recognized the Reggie Workman track, as he is one of my favourites and I love that album.

I should have recognized Booker Ervin. Oh my ......... Thanks for putting together an intersting program.