BFT 211 is up and running!

mjzee

Good morning, and welcome to BFT 211!  It's CD length: 18 tracks, 79 minutes total.  Available at: http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/  Hope y'all enjoy it, and good luck!

I liked randyhersom's idea in April, and will create some vertical space below so that everyone can experience it fresh:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can recognize a few tunes, but nothing else. :(

Track 1: "St Louis Blues"

Track 7: I know this one very well, but can I name it? No.

Track 8: "Stolen Moments"

Track 10: "Skylark"

Track 11: "Shaw Nuff"

Track 12: "Cherokee"

Track 13: "Willow Weep for Me"

Track 18: "Getting to Know You"

29 minutes ago, BillF said:

Well, I can recognize a few tunes, but nothing else. :(

Track 1: "St Louis Blues"

Track 7: I know this one very well, but can I name it? No.

Track 8: "Stolen Moments"

Track 10: "Skylark"

Track 11: "Shaw Nuff"

Track 12: "Cherokee"

Track 13: "Willow Weep for Me"

Track 18: "Getting to Know You"

Pretty good, but Track 10 (at least per the label) is not "Skylark."

ONE:   Old time stuff...sounds like “St. Louis Blues.”  It shifts into more of a swing approach.  It might be relatively modern, maybe by Marsalis or one of his disciples.

TWO: This is like acoustic funk; it has a sort of R & B sound. Tenor is like someone you might hear with Ray Charles.  Fun enough, if a little long.

THREE: This track certainly has the elements of West Coast style.  It bounces along nicely.  Good solos on tenor and vibes.  I think it’s another player doing the second tenor solo, and I like his a bit better.  Guitar only so-so. I would rather hear someone more fluid, like Herb Ellis or Tal Farlow.  Everything is done well, but it's likely the work of lesser-known musicians. 

FOUR: This has more of  pop jazz sound, a little like Pat Metheny group or maybe The Yellowjackets. I don’t hear Pat (or any guitar), but I would not be surprised if it were Lyle Mays on the keys. But I’m doing nothing but speculating.  I very rarely listen to stuff like this, though it is pleasant enough.

FIVE:  A short piece that is a bit too much "easy listening" for my taste.  But could this actually be early Keith Jarrett?  Some of his numbers have that pop song quality.

SIX:   I know....it's a Pat Martino piece.  I believe it's from “Stone Blue,” and the song if "Mac Tough."  This is a bit less intense than some other versions of the tune. The cheesy synthesizers (or whatever they are) don’t sound very good.  Pat Martino has a really smoking trio version on "Live at Yoshi's," which I prefer by a large margin.  

SEVEN:  Cool piece.  I think I know this, although not this version.  Sounds like someone with really solid chops—could be Pat Martino, could be Larry Coryell.  Just tossing out guesses. 

EIGHT:  “Stolen Moments”…interesting approach.  I’ve never heard an organ-guitar-drums version. It has a moody quality…and fairly appealing. Very brief…even too brief.

NINE:  I never know who to guess on these sorts of things. Pleasant, though a bit repetitious.

TEN:  Charlie Byrd certainly comes to mind.

ELEVEN:  “Shaw Nuff,” but no idea who is performing.  Guitar sounds like Joe Pass; he’s got chops galore.  Not sure about the electric piano.

So far, I’m finding that there are some quite well-known pieces here, but I’m not feeling confident at all in trying to identify performers.

Edited by Milestones

Taking the day off today, so let's not dally. 18 songs is a LOT!!!!!

TRACK ONE - Me, I hate to see that morning sun come up, because that means I'm already awake and working, but to each their own. Not Earl Hines' "Boogie Woogie on the St. Louis Blues", but there is some well-deserved "boogie" connection. And if there's any doubt that Jug was coming straight out of Pres, hey, remove it now!

TRACK TWO - Sounds like a "Cleo's Mood" knockoff, which may or may not mean anything. Mostly sounds like it could be Dewey, but often (enough), it doesn't. I don't think it is, it doesn't flow like Dewey. That vibrato seems not quite vocal in nature. But everything else sounds right (enough). Hmmm....I dunno. Somebody knows their tenor, though. Just what part of it...I'm not sure. No, that's not Dewey. This player knows some of what Dewey knew, just not the part that made Dewey Dewey. Some things pass with time. By the time it's over, I'm left wanting something...more. Or Different. And maybe from this same group. Or maybe not!

TRACK THREE - Phil + Al + Eddie Costa, is s what it sounds like. Those guys could do this in their sleep or wide-awake, it made no difference, nor can I tell which one it is here, and that's a compliment.

TRACK FOUR -  I dunno, man, this sounds like"Christian" music that doesn't want to leave anybody out. But I am left out, and I'm totally ok with that. Really, I am.

TRACK FIVE - A classic! I think it's funny as hell, that everybody talks about the "CTI sound", and ok, but anytime you hear a piano on a CTI record, no, that;'s RUDY'S sound! Age has made me lose a lot of my more youthful enthusiasm for this type of "innocence" in music, but damn...this is just right, period. I think Airto's kit drumming is the difference here.

TRACK SIX - People used to mock big bands for sounding like "The tonight Show Band". Well, today we can mock these type of..."fusion"(?) bands for sounding like...The Tonight Show Band! Not The Roots, the one before them, the what's his name, the guy after Branford? Kevin Eubanks, THAT tonight Show Band.

TRACK SEVEN - "Bohemia After Dark", with no wrong notes. Maybe they should play it slower to see if they can find some.

TRACK EIGHT - "Stolen Moments" with some wrong (at least not original) notes, but I think it's on purpose. I like that.

TRACK NINE - What a cute couple!

TRACK TEN - That's nice. short, to the point, and tastefully/expertly (in equal measure!) done. Play well, make a good take, get paid, hey, life as a musician can be good if you work harder than anybody and don't fuck up. That way the traps won't get to you. And believe me, there are traps aplenty. But sounds like this guy pretty much stepped around and over them all. A fine record for sure, I mean, that sounds like almost two guitars, but it's not, that's one guitar. So hey, this guy(?) didn't fuck around!

TRACK ELEVEN - "Shaw 'Nuff". Is that an electriic piano? Like, one of the later ones where you could really tweak the tone to where it sounded less like an electric piano? I never liked those.

TRACK TWELVE - Sounds like The Tonight Show Band! The Doc one! Well, almost, this one is a little cuter with the woodwind doubling. Otherwise...yeah, too cute for me. My next guest is...

TRACK THIRTEEN - Now THIS is interesting...it'd got Oliver Nelson virtually oozing out of every pore, but I don't know of any Oliver arrangement of this ...and the band is a bit more ragged than Oliver's usual crews. So best as I can figure, somebody learned from Oliver and learned well. No idea about the band, though, sounds real enough, NOT like The Tonight Show Band!!!!!

TRACK FOURTEEN - Oh my! This is almost too clever for its own good. ALMOST! Not something I'd want to live with, but they could live on the block for as long as they like and I'd not complain. Kinda sounds like a woke/chill Steve Coleman, only those are not Steve Coleman solos at any turn. With better solos, I'd welcome them to move in next door, or at least across the street. As it is, just share the lead sheets and we'll talk when we see each other out in the yar, it'll be good like that.

TRACK FIFTEEN - Is that Larry Coryell or somebody? Of its time, I suppose? Most things are to one degree or another. I like that trumpeter.

TRACK SIXTEEN - Interesting. I very much like that it's about music and not "style", at least not overtly.

TRACK SEVENTEEN - Your man's gone now? So why did they leave you behind? They could have done us all a favor and taken it all away!

TRACK EIGHTEEN - WAYNE!!! OMG, I remember buying Second Genesis on some Affinity(looking) LP and getting happy with it right away, but then THIS started up and I LOL'ed IMMEDIATELY.  It still strikes me that way, like bababaBAHBAH, , that Wayne, his comedic sense is not often enough noted, that's some funny shit. PRECISELY my cup of tea! YEAH WAYNE!

18 cuts, like a golf course! Now to return to the 19th!!!!

38 minutes ago, Milestones said:

FIVE:  A short piece that is a bit too much "easy listening" for my taste.  But could this actually be early Keith Jarrett?  Some of his numbers have that pop song quality.

Not bad at all.  It's a Jarrett composition and he plays on it, but he's not the leader.

39 minutes ago, Milestones said:

SIX:   I know....it's a Pat Martino piece.  I believe it's from “Stone Blue,” and the song if "Mac Tough."  This is a bit less intense than some other versions of the tune. The cheesy synthesizers (or whatever they are) don’t sound very good.  Pat Martino has a really smoking trio version on "Live at Yoshi's," which I prefer by a large margin. 

You nailed this one.

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Taking the day off today, so let's not dally. 18 songs is a LOT!!!!!

TRACK ONE - Me, I hate to see that morning sun come up, because that means I'm already awake and working, but to each their own. Not Earl Hines' "Boogie Woogie on the St. Louis Blues", but there is some well-deserved "boogie" connection. And if there's any doubt that Jug was coming straight out of Pres, hey, remove it now!

TRACK TWO - Sounds like a "Cleo's Mood" knockoff, which may or may not mean anything. Mostly sounds like it could be Dewey, but often (enough), it doesn't. I don't think it is, it doesn't flow like Dewey. That vibrato seems not quite vocal in nature. But everything else sounds right (enough). Hmmm....I dunno. Somebody knows their tenor, though. Just what part of it...I'm not sure. No, that's not Dewey. This player knows some of what Dewey knew, just not the part that made Dewey Dewey. Some things pass with time. By the time it's over, I'm left wanting something...more. Or Different. And maybe from this same group. Or maybe not!

TRACK THREE - Phil + Al + Eddie Costa, is s what it sounds like. Those guys could do this in their sleep or wide-awake, it made no difference, nor can I tell which one it is here, and that's a compliment.

TRACK FOUR -  I dunno, man, this sounds like"Christian" music that doesn't want to leave anybody out. But I am left out, and I'm totally ok with that. Really, I am.

TRACK FIVE - A classic! I think it's funny as hell, that everybody talks about the "CTI sound", and ok, but anytime you hear a piano on a CTI record, no, that;'s RUDY'S sound! Age has made me lose a lot of my more youthful enthusiasm for this type of "innocence" in music, but damn...this is just right, period. I think Airto's kit drumming is the difference here.

TRACK SIX - People used to mock big bands for sounding like "The tonight Show Band". Well, today we can mock these type of..."fusion"(?) bands for sounding like...The Tonight Show Band! Not The Roots, the one before them, the what's his name, the guy after Branford? Kevin Eubanks, THAT tonight Show Band.

TRACK SEVEN - "Bohemia After Dark", with no wrong notes. Maybe they should play it slower to see if they can find some.

TRACK EIGHT - "Stolen Moments" with some wrong (at least not original) notes, but I think it's on purpose. I like that.

TRACK NINE - What a cute couple!

TRACK TEN - That's nice. short, to the point, and tastefully/expertly (in equal measure!) done. Play well, make a good take, get paid, hey, life as a musician can be good if you work harder than anybody and don't fuck up. That way the traps won't get to you. And believe me, there are traps aplenty. But sounds like this guy pretty much stepped around and over them all. A fine record for sure, I mean, that sounds like almost two guitars, but it's not, that's one guitar. So hey, this guy(?) didn't fuck around!

TRACK ELEVEN - "Shaw 'Nuff". Is that an electriic piano? Like, one of the later ones where you could really tweak the tone to where it sounded less like an electric piano? I never liked those.

TRACK TWELVE - Sounds like The Tonight Show Band! The Doc one! Well, almost, this one is a little cuter with the woodwind doubling. Otherwise...yeah, too cute for me. My next guest is...

TRACK THIRTEEN - Now THIS is interesting...it'd got Oliver Nelson virtually oozing out of every pore, but I don't know of any Oliver arrangement of this ...and the band is a bit more ragged than Oliver's usual crews. So best as I can figure, somebody learned from Oliver and learned well. No idea about the band, though, sounds real enough, NOT like The Tonight Show Band!!!!!

TRACK FOURTEEN - Oh my! This is almost too clever for its own good. ALMOST! Not something I'd want to live with, but they could live on the block for as long as they like and I'd not complain. Kinda sounds like a woke/chill Steve Coleman, only those are not Steve Coleman solos at any turn. With better solos, I'd welcome them to move in next door, or at least across the street. As it is, just share the lead sheets and we'll talk when we see each other out in the yar, it'll be good like that.

TRACK FIFTEEN - Is that Larry Coryell or somebody? Of its time, I suppose? Most things are to one degree or another. I like that trumpeter.

TRACK SIXTEEN - Interesting. I very much like that it's about music and not "style", at least not overtly.

TRACK SEVENTEEN - Your man's gone now? So why did they leave you behind? They could have done us all a favor and taken it all away!

TRACK EIGHTEEN - WAYNE!!! OMG, I remember buying Second Genesis on some Affinity(looking) LP and getting happy with it right away, but then THIS started up and I LOL'ed IMMEDIATELY.  It still strikes me that way, like bababaBAHBAH, , that Wayne, his comedic sense is not often enough noted, that's some funny shit. PRECISELY my cup of tea! YEAH WAYNE!

18 cuts, like a golf course! Now to return to the 19th!!!!

As usual, you know too much, so let's leave some fun for other respondents.  But I will say that you got some things wrong.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I think I got most things wrong, actually, other than song titles. Not very many records on here I know, only four #s1, 5, 17, & 18.

I don't think you know 17, at least not the singer.

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

So #5 is likely Chares Lloyd?  I think I heard some flute in there.

Nope, sorry.

1. Could be Ben Webster.  Seems brawny, but not quite that brawny.  The piano combines flashy and boogie.
2. Prominent electric bass, on second listen I think it's upright with a very electric sounding pickup, mixed way out front.  My initial thought was an old timer like Gatortail, but the Sax, Bass, Drums lineup suggests otherwise.  How about Joshua Redman?
3. Stitt with vibes?
4. I haven't come up with better than Art Farmer, but I don't know too much Clifford Jordan on soparano.
5. Sounds like a flute and fluegelhorn front line, possibly the pianist's date.
6. David Fathead Newman?  Pianist seems to switch to organ.
7. Very fleet fingered guitarist.  Maybe Philip Catherine with NHOP?
8. Stolen Moments!  Not sure who did an organ-guitar Stolen Moments.  Vic Juris?
9. Sounds like Sheila Jordan, but I don't know of many duets - Jeanne Lee and Mark Murphy off the top
10. Acoustic or almost acoustic guitar
11. Guitar and electric piano
12. Brassy big band standard.  Quincy Jones?
13. Willow Weep for Me, nice Bari intro
14. Large group with organ  
15. Edgy guitar and organ  Fiuczinski?
16. Definitely sounds like Terje Rypdal on guitar.  Possibly David Darling
17. Classical sounding alto
18. Another familiar tune. Getting To Know You?

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

It's and OLD classical recording, like a 78, that much  is obvious, so unless it's a broadcast, I have to think it's Anne Brown.

And if it's not, then I only know 3!

Nope.  I think you'll be surprised.

5 hours ago, Milestones said:

Must be some obscure stuff, and there's not much Jarrett as a sideman other than Miles and Charles Lloyd.

I was surprised to see him there, but that was a time.

3 hours ago, randyhersom said:

1. Could be Ben Webster.  Seems brawny, but not quite that brawny.  The piano combines flashy and boogie.
2. Prominent electric bass, on second listen I think it's upright with a very electric sounding pickup, mixed way out front.  My initial thought was an old timer like Gatortail, but the Sax, Bass, Drums lineup suggests otherwise.  How about Joshua Redman?
3. Stitt with vibes?
4. I haven't come up with better than Art Farmer, but I don't know too much Clifford Jordan on soparano.
5. Sounds like a flute and fluegelhorn front line, possibly the pianist's date.
6. David Fathead Newman?  Pianist seems to switch to organ.
7. Very fleet fingered guitarist.  Maybe Philip Catherine with NHOP?
8. Stolen Moments!  Not sure who did an organ-guitar Stolen Moments.  Vic Juris?
9. Sounds like Sheila Jordan, but I don't know of many duets - Jeanne Lee and Mark Murphy off the top
10. Acoustic or almost acoustic guitar
11. Guitar and electric piano
12. Brassy big band standard.  Quincy Jones?
13. Willow Weep for Me, nice Bari intro
14. Large group with organ  
15. Edgy guitar and organ  Fiuczinski?
16. Definitely sounds like Terje Rypdal on guitar.  Possibly David Darling
17. Classical sounding alto
18. Another familiar tune. Getting To Know You?

You have some truth about #9, and nailed #16.  You are correct about #18.

BFT 211

Thanks for the BFT.  Looks like you sought to have something for everybody (my friend Dan Gould will likely be pleased by several of the cuts), so much of it left me fairly cold, but a few cuts, especially #2 and #7, really caught my ear.  Look forward to the review on them.  No need to put a response to each of my comments, but feedback on #4 and #7 would be greatly appreciated!

1 – Outside my range.

2 – Nice stuff, really enjoyable.  Not sure who it is, and don’t think I have it on the shelves. 

3 – Reminds me of some of those Vogue sessions from the 50’s.  Lucky Thompson?

4 – Doesn’t hit for me.   Pianist, clearly inspired by Jarrett can really play, but makes a few strange note choices.   Trumpet does nothing for me.   The sax player sounds like Michael Brecker, so I guess the trumpet is Randy?   Percussionist does that Guilherme Franco thing, which I find annoying. Is this a Hal Galper album?  If so, a long way down from the magical stuff he did with the Brecker Bros. in the late 70’s.

5 -  Pleasant, but doesn’t keep my attention.

6 – Don’t like the electronics or the pulse on this.  Too mechanical and synthed up.  Everybody involved can play, just not my thing.

7 -  Now we’re talking.  Really like this!  Killer, imaginative version.  Hard to go wrong with that tune, and they don’t.  Guitarist sounds like Pat Martino, but I’m not aware of him doing a trio version of this.

8 – “Stolen Moments” of course.  Sounds like Kenny Burrell, but I can’t find this version. 

9 – Lost on me.

10 – Pleasant enough.

11 – Fleet.  I know the composition, but have brain freeze.

12 – “Cherokee” of course.  Very competent.

13 – “Willow Weep for Me”.  Also very competent.

14 – I like this one, though the ensembles could have maybe used a little more rehearsal.  Nice groove, and the solos are good.

15 – The guitar player needs to be banished.  I pretty much like everything else about the cut, but the guitar ruins it for me.

16 and 17 – Please make them go away!

18 – Getting to know you, too!   Very pleasant, nothing remarkable to my ears.

Edited by felser

Thanks for the kind words, felser.  I tried to have a variety of moods or approaches, with continuity to make it all flow.  And of course, (hopefully) some surprises in personnel to make it interesting.  Since you asked...

17 minutes ago, felser said:

4 – Doesn’t hit for me.   Pianist, clearly inspired by Jarrett can really play, but makes a few strange note choices.   Trumpet does nothing for me.   The sax player sounds like Michael Brecker, so I guess the trumpet is Randy?   Percussionist does that Guilherme Franco thing, which I find annoying. Is this a Hal Galper album?  If so, a long way down from the magical stuff he did with the Brecker Bros. in the late 70’s.

Not the Breckers, not Galper.

18 minutes ago, felser said:

7 -  Now we’re talking.  Really like this!  Killer, imaginative version.  Hard to go wrong with that tune, and they don’t.  Guitarist sounds like Pat Martino, but I’m not aware of him doing a trio version of this.

Not Pat Martino.

18 minutes ago, Milestones said:

#15--Sonny Sharrock?  Just a wild guess

Not Sonny Sharrock.

18 minutes ago, Milestones said:

#16--Interesting.  Different.  It it jazz?

Good question!  Depends who you ask (and what your Magic 8-Ball says).

19 minutes ago, Milestones said:

#17--That has to be an opera singer.  Not appealing to my ears.

While she is an opera singer, that is not what she is primarily known for.

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

#18--Would not expect Wayne to perform this piece.  Should we say it's Wayne before Wayne? 

It's track #7 from this .  I actually own the album and like it quite a bit, and Wayne was Wayne already in his Jazz Messengers phase.  But that track is a throwaway to my ears.