Fine late Mulligan

Larry Kart

Not that I’m an expert when it comes to sorting out Mulligan’s many recordings, but I’ve often felt that he got better as a player as time went on, more lyrical in particular, more fluid rhythmically, less bouncy. In any case I just ran across a 1993 concert he gave with Billy Taylor, “Live at MCG” (MCG Jazz), and after hesitating a bit — I’m not a a big fan of Taylor — I took the plunge. And indeed Gerry is in lovely form throughout. Well recorded too. Chip Jackson on bass, Carl Allen on drums.

When I received a CDR to write liner notes for The Classic Concert Live!, I was extremely disappointed that Concord Jazz omitted all three of the Mulligan big band instrumentals from the 1982 Jazz Alive! broadcast. They were some of the highlights of his meeting with George Shearing and Mel Tormé. 

I have most of Gerry Mulligan's late work to be of high quality.

Edited by Ken Dryden
Fixed typo

I don't usually rate Scott Hamilton highly, but Soft Lights & Sweet Music is my favorite Mulligan in his later years. 

Also, a guest appearance on Mel Tome's live recording is nice.  Unfortunately, a US version of CD omitted a terrific medley of three Mulligan compositions (Line for Lions / Venus De Milo / Walking Shoes) with Mel's great scat.  A Japanese 2 CD version contains all of them.

16 hours ago, duaneiac said:

I enjoy these two albums:

R-7532341-1443432164-3911.jpeg.jpg

R-6875398-1552903454-6501.jpeg.jpg

Dream a little dream is wonderful, my wife bought it for me some years ago for Chrismas. 

Well, she picks up records like this way: She say I had only two Mulligans (Vol. 1 and 2 with Chet at Carnegie Hall 1974) and thought, well he has this artist, but only 2 records, and by the way, during that time I had to play "Dream a little Dream" with a female singer, I had never played it before but she called it for the set, so I did it...