More Favorites: Reflections on Jazz in the 1980s

43 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Hutch Fan, if both your lists are ready, why wait for January?

Because we've set it up to be a year-long blog project -- just like my 70s jazz project.  Using a calendar year simplifies things.  We both plan to post 3 albums/entries per week.   So we'll be done after 50 weeks in mid-December.

We've also got some set up tasks remaining -- like building out the blog infrastructure.  It's not difficult or terribly time-consuming, but it's one of a few preliminary tasks that aren't done yet.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Because we've set it up to be a year-long blog project -- just like my 70s jazz project.  Using a calendar year simplifies things.  We both plan to post 3 albums/entries per week.   So we'll be done after 50 weeks in mid-December.

We've also got some set up tasks remaining -- like building out the blog infrastructure.  It's not difficult or terribly time-consuming, but it's one of a few preliminary tasks that aren't done yet.

Makes sense! 

This new project is most welcome.

• 1 month later...

My collaborator Dan and I have launched our 80s Jazz blogsite: https://jazzinthe80s.blogspot.com/   

Dan's first post is titled "Why the 1980s?" and my first post is a general introduction to the project.

You can expect to see our first three album selections -- both Dan's and mine -- by Sunday, January 2, 2022. 

But I'm taking a "staycation" next week, so mine will likely be posted well before then. 

Away we go!  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

Amigos,

I've now published my first three selections (with brief commentary) on our 80s jazz blog: https://jazzinthe80s.blogspot.com/

- Art Ensemble of Chicago - Full Force (ECM, 1980)
- Joe Henderson - Mirror, Mirror (MPS, 1980)
- Archie Shepp & Horace Parlan - Trouble in Mind (SteepleChase, 1980)

My collaborator Dan will be posting his first three selections sometime before Sunday.

Feel free to comment directly on the blog or right here.  Either way, the discussion is one of the best things about these sorts of projects.  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

Good start.

I think that the Shepp and AEC are clear choices.  I was surprised to realise how early Nice Guys was: I'd always thought of it as an 80s album, presumably because to my mind it starts their 1980s period. Either way, I think Full Force is probably my favourite of the ECMs.

Remind me how it works: does your Mirror Mirror count as the only Henderson choice, or could co-writer Dan pick e.g. State of?

Edited by Rabshakeh

I love Trouble in Mind, but both it and Full Force are extensions of things started in the late '70s - which is the problem with dong it by decade, music doesn't really divide up neatly like that.  Full Force is part of a strong run on ECM for the AEC.  40 years later and Shepp is still doing duets with piano.  Mirror, Mirror I'm not really familiar with, but tht could be said of pretty much any Joe Hen or Chick Corea after a certain point.  I put something from either Trouble in Mind or Going Home on my blindfold test here and it got a pretty lukewarm and dismissive response, much to my disappointment.

1 minute ago, Rabshakeh said:

Remind me how it works: does your Mirror Mirror count as the only Henderson choice, or could co-writer Dan pick e.g. State of?

Dan can also pick a Joe Hen.  Each of us were "permitted" one leader album (and one co-leader album).  So, yes, Dan could certainly select State of the Tenor.  (Not that I'm saying he did. ;))

So there will be duplication of artists.  But, we worked it out so neither of us chose the same albums.  (Suprisingly, there were only a handful of albums that appeared on both of our lists.)

2 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I love Trouble in Mind, but both it and Full Force are extensions of things started in the late '70s - which is the problem with dong it by decade, music doesn't really divide up neatly like that.  Full Force is part of a strong run on ECM for the AEC. 

Completely agree.  All of this stuff flows like a river.  Decade by decade is arbitrary.  But whatchagonnado otherwise in a "survey"?  I think it's just a matter of standing up some sorta structure to do the project. ;) 

5 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I put something from either Trouble in Mind or Going Home on my blindfold test here and it got a pretty lukewarm and dismissive response, much to my disappointment.

Lukewarm response, eh?  That's surprising to me. ... Maybe it's because they lack flash???  On the surface, those records sound simple.  But they are DEEP.

The strange thing is I didn´t see Joe Henderson live in the 80´s. I saw him twice, in 1978 and 1979. 
Archie Shepp, whom I have seen first in 1979, I saw a year later in 1980 with a quartet with Ken Werner, Santi Dedriano and Joe Betsch. 
I didn´t see him together with Horace Parlan, but saw Horace Parlan in 1983. I took a girl to the gig and we were in the first row and at some point, Mr. Parlan looked at us and said "and now..... Like Someone in Love" .......
I have not seen the Art Ensemble, but I think I saw some of there musicians around Chico Freeman, Don Moye was on drums and Malachi Favours on bass....., but that must have been in 1979. 

My friend and collaborator, Dan Robey, has published his first five posts on our joint blog: https://jazzinthe80s.blogspot.com

- Terry Riley - Shri Camel (Columbia, 1980)
- George Cables - Some of My Favorite Things (Atlas, 1980)
- Pepper Adams - The Master (Muse, 1980)
- John Clark - Faces (ECM, 1981)
- Art Ensemble of Chicago - Urban Bushmen (ECM, 1982)

All of Dan's posts feature interesting write-ups.  Take a look!

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

When's the next 'drop'?

Now.  :) 

This week's set:

- Sun Ra Arkestra - Sunrise in Different Dimensions (hat Hut, 1981)
- Chico Freeman - Peaceful Heart, Gentle Spirit (Contemporary, 1980)
- Sonny Stitt - Sonny's Back (Muse, 1980)

See my commentary about these albums at https://jazzinthe80s.blogspot.com

As always, let me know what you think!

41 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Checked it out and now I want another Sonny Stitt album.  i thought I had it covered...

Hard to go wrong with the hand-in-glove combination of Sonny Stitt and Barry Harris. ...  Peanut butter and jelly.  Pizza and ice-cold beer.  Biscuits and gravy.

34 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

There'll never not be another Sonny Stitt album.

:g  So true!