More Favorites: Reflections on Jazz in the 1980s

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love both editions of this blog.  I started listening to jazz in the early 80s, we had an amazing jazz history professor at my university.  So the 70s and 80s were my coming of age years for jazz and have always had tremendous fondness for these years.  Early on I had no concept of "sub-genre" which was a blessing.  Here is some Art Blakey, yeah that is cool.  Here is some AEC, yeah that is cool.

I shudder to think how much $$ this forum has cost me over the past 19 years.  Never bought a bad one though :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lately, I've been running way behind schedule on my blog postings.  This evening, I tried to catch up. 

Here are my entries for the last three weeks -- with personnel, recording dates, and YouTube clips (if available).  So far, I haven't written any commentary for them.

https://jazzinthe80s.blogspot.com/

Mike Westbrook Orchestra - On Duke's Birthday (hat Hut, 1985)
John Hicks - In Concert (Theresa/Evidence, 1986)
Gil Evans & the Monday Night Orchestra - Live at Sweet Basil, Vols. 1 & 2 (Gramavision/Evidence, 1985)

Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous, Roy Haynes - Trio Music: Live in Europe (ECM, 1986)
Anthony Braxton - Six Compositions (Quartet) 1984 (Black Saint, 1985)
Clifford Jordan Quintet featuring Junior Cook - Two Tenor Winner (Criss Cross, 1985)

Sheila Jordan - The Crossing (BlackHawk, 1986)
Frank Foster, Frank Wess - Frankly Speaking (Concord, 1985)
Kenny Barron - New York Attitude (Uptown, 1996)

Some really fine music listed above, say I.  What say you?

On 5/20/2022 at 6:48 PM, Rabshakeh said:

There's a Johnny Dyani that I hadn't heard of which looks really interesting.

Angolian Cry 300.jpg

It's terrific.  :tup 

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Lately, I've been running way behind schedule on my blog postings.  This evening, I tried to catch up. 

Here are my entries for the last three weeks -- with personnel, recording dates, and YouTube clips (if available).  So far, I haven't written any commentary for them.

Mike Westbrook Orchestra - On Duke's Birthday (hat Hut, 1985)
John Hicks - In Concert (Theresa/Evidence, 1986)
Gil Evans & the Monday Night Orchestra - Live at Sweet Basil, Vols. 1 & 2 (Gramavision/Evidence, 1985)

Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous, Roy Haynes - Trio Music: Live in Europe (ECM, 1986)
Anthony Braxton - Six Compositions (Quartet) 1984 (Black Saint, 1985)
Clifford Jordan Quintet featuring Junior Cook - Two Tenor Winner (Criss Cross, 1985)

Sheila Jordan - The Crossing (BlackHawk, 1986)
Frank Foster, Frank Wess - Frankly Speaking (Concord, 1985)
Kenny Barron - New York Attitude (Uptown, 1996)

Some really fine music listed above, say I.  What say you?

It's terrific.  :tup 

Really fine music listed ! 

John Hicks with Pharoah Sanders was really some highlights in the 80´s. 

Gil Evans at Sweet Basil great. 

I have not heard the Chick Corea. Vitous-Haynes band but it sounds like a dream team, but if I read "ECM" label I always am afraid it is.....well how can I say it.....it´s ECM-music... but maybe this great trio is an exception. 

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

The Gil Evans Orchestra in full force .... and yes (aka minor quibble), we have to live with Hiram Bullock here....

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have not heard the Chick Corea. Vitous-Haynes band but it sounds like a dream team, but if I read "ECM" label I always am afraid it is.....well how can I say it.....it´s ECM-music... but maybe this great trio is an exception. 

I think you'll enjoy it, Gheorghe.  It's not very ECM-ish.

There are a few cuts from YT on the blog, if you'd like to sample.

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Me too. Heard the posthumous Gill Evans orchestra with and without Hiram Bullock at Sweet Basil and it was better with him.

I was at Sweet Basil to see Gil one Monday Night and the stand was so crowded that Hiram sat at our next- to -the stand table and played from there.  His amp remained on stage. 

Edited by medjuck

On 6/1/2022 at 1:17 PM, Peter Friedman said:

HutchFan - I see your postings here, but how do I access what your friend Dan selects?

Just go to https://jazzinthe80s.blogspot.com/

There are navigation buttons near the bottom of the page -- click Older Posts and/or Newer Posts -- if you want to look around and not just see the most recent posts on the front page.  (You can also use the Blog Archive function -- in the right column -- to view older posts.)

The first sentence in each entry states whether it's by Dan or me (Scott).

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Al Di Meola, eh? I didn't see that coming.

It's unlike any other Dimeola album. Apparently, his fans HATED it. Maybe that's why I love it. ... It's actually a stealth Airto Moreira record.

Listen and see what you think. 

It's also a record that I bought when I was in high school, when it was released. One of the first in my survey that I can say that about.

Last week's https://jazzinthe80s.blogspot.com entries, posted today:

- Budda All Stars* - Mambo Show (Tropical Budda/Machete, rel. 1990, rec. 1985)
- Wynton Marsalis - Black Codes (from the Underground) (Columbia, 1985)
- Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy - I Only Have Eyes for You (ECM, 1985)

* The Budda All Stars are Charlie Palmieri (p, producer); Mongo Santamaria (cga); Johnny Rodriguez (bgo, cowbell); Nicky Marrero (timb, perc); Jose "Chombo" Silva (sax); Barry Rogers (tb); David "Piro" Rodríguez (tr); Ray Martinez (b); Adalberto Santiago (vo); Ray De La Paz (vo); Yayo "El Indio" Pequero (vo)

Hope that credit is given to Lester Bowie for not treating the Flamingos song like a joke. The pocket on that thing is as serious as the proverbial heart attack.

Lester Bowie knew about things, real things in real life, down from the private parts deep into the human soul. Let that other guy talk about things, brain talk alone, this guy knew things. 

59 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Hope that credit is given to Lester Bowie for not treating the Flamingos song like a joke. The pocket on that thing is as serious as the proverbial heart attack.

Lester Bowie knew about things, real things in real life, down from the private parts deep into the human soul. Let that other guy talk about things, brain talk alone, this guy knew things. 

Yup.

I think I cried the first time I heard that Brass Fantasy version, because I was reaching some kind of irrevocable conclusions about people - "jazz people" in particular - who were getting all kinds of ignunt about records like that Flamingos hit. Hearing Lester tell the truth about it sealed the deal in my mind. 

That other guy...that was a "good record" for him, maybe his best, but time has shown who the real clown is, and it for damn sure isn't Lester Bowie in a lab coat playing a Flamingos song. Not even. 

Totally agree with you guys. I have nothing but the DEEPEST respect for Lester -- and his Brass Fantasy makes cosmic, awe-inspiring music.

The way that Lester loves and transforms what some folks regard as "ordinary, everyday" music actually reminds me -- at times -- of Charles Ives.  And I don't think that's a coincidence either -- since both of them were steeped in brass-band music from childhood and both used that as a starting point for musical exploration. 

Obviously, there are big differences between them as well. But I only bring this up to point out that many folks think that Ives' music is some sort of joke or prank. And those folks don't understand Ives at all, the scope and fundamental seriousness of his conception.  I think the same could be said of Lester Bowie's music.