More Favorites: Reflections on Jazz in the 1980s

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I had a cassette dub of Shades that played repeatedly in my car for Lord knows how many times over how many years. When I finally got a CD of, it was not to learn the record any more, but just because the tape was scaring me that it would work out and then I 'd be SOL. 

For me anyway, it's one of those records that sticks even after you know it inside and out. Everything is just there 

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I had a cassette dub of Shades that played repeatedly in my car for Lord knows how many times over how many years. When I finally got a CD of, it was not to learn the record any more, but just because the tape was scaring me that it would work out and then I 'd be SOL. 

For me anyway, it's one of those records that sticks even after you know it inside and out. Everything is just there 

Yeah.  Right on. 

It all adds up to a completely satisfying whole.   Even the switching between trio cuts and quartet cuts works really well.

I´m afraid I am not too familiar with what came out in the later 80s, you know how it goe´s ... first marriage, kids, then trouble, divorce and during and after that not much time or money for buyin records or not much energy to hear music or even play... bad times for me......, but that Sonny Fortune all star group must sound great, all of them great players of the 70´s , and......oh....my beloved Dave Liebman playin Trane.... must sound great. 
My first Liebman-Trane experience was his version of Coltrane´s "Your Lady".... 

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

... my beloved Dave Liebman playin Trane.... must sound great.

:tup  It does!  As much as you enjoy Liebman, you might want to consider tracking down that Owl release.  I think it's one of Lieb's best albums.

If you'd like to sample it, I've included two songs on the Homage to John Coltrane blog page.

My selections from last week now posted on MORE FAVORITES: Reflections on Jazz in the 1980s

Steve Turre - Viewpoint (LP); Viewpoints and Vibrations (CD) (Stash, 1987)
For whatever reason, Steve Turre didn't release his first album until he was in his late-30s -- so this debut doesn't sound like one.  

Hermeto Pascoal e Grupo - Só Não Toca Quem Não Quer (Only If You Don't Want It, You Can't Do It) (Som Da Gente/Intuition/Capitol, 1987)
Americans tend to associate Hermeto with the 1970s -- with Airto, Miles, Slaves Mass, and so on.  But I think Pascoal's series of LPs in the 80s -- after he'd returned to Brazil and featuring his amazing Grupo -- are the most interesting records he ever made. 

Pat Metheny Group - Still Life (Talking) (Geffen, 1987)
Other albums that Metheny made during the 1980s are more jazz-oriented -- records 80/81, Rejoicing, and Question & Answer.  But I think Still Life (Talking) represents Metheny at his best.  No one else could have made it.  And the sound of Metheny's music isn't just subtly different; it's VERY different, entirely unique.  Aside from (possibly) Chick Corea and Joe Zawinul, has there ever been another jazz musician who made such "orchestral" electric music sound so organic?

Edited by HutchFan

My jazzblog selections for this week:

- Kirk Lightsey Trio featuring Freddie Hubbard - Temptation (Timeless/Baystate, 1988)

- Mulgrew Miller Quintet - Wingspan (Landmark/32 Jazz, 1987)

- Hank Crawford, Jimmy McGriff - Steppin' Up (Milestone, 1987)

Dan's posted his selections as well.

Feel free to comment -- here or on our blog.  :tup 

Dustygroove is showing this coming release. It doesn't say what the extra disc is (more of the trio with Freddie Hubbard or a disc of trio recordings?).

Temptation (2CD deluxe edition) 

CD (Item 119671) Timeless/Ultra Vybe (Japan), 1987 — Condition: New Copy

$21.99 ... 

CD

📣
List Price: 24.99
PreorderThis title is scheduled for release about Wednesday, August 17.
[+]
Add to
Watch List
[+]
Preorder
this item
❔
Also available 
Kirk Lightsey with Freddie Hubbard — Temptation ... CD 16.99
Kirk Lightsey with Freddie Hubbard — Temptation ... CD 9.99
A very hip group, and a wonderful meeting between trumpeter Freddie Hubbard and pianist Kirk Lightsey! We always like Kirk, but love him even more when he's working with a horn player – as his sound seems to catch fire, and move with even bolder notes than usual – which is definitely the case on the album's opener, a nice take on Hubbard's classic "Gibraltar" – in a spirit that continues strongly throughout! Bass is from Santi Debriano, drums are from Eddie Gladden, and Jerry Gonzalez plays percussion on one track – and Freddie's in that great 80s sound of his – a mode that's a return to the straighter hardbop of his Blue Note years, but with the phrasing learned during his 70s funk years – on titles that include "Gibraltar", "Evidence", "Brigitte", "Temptation", and "Society Red".

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Dustygroove is showing this coming release. It doesn't say what the extra disc is (more of the trio with Freddie Hubbard or a disc of trio recordings?).

Temptation (2CD deluxe edition) 

CD (Item 119671) Timeless/Ultra Vybe (Japan), 1987 — Condition: New Copy

$21.99 ... 

CD

📣
List Price: 24.99
PreorderThis title is scheduled for release about Wednesday, August 17.
[+]
Add to
Watch List
[+]
Preorder
this item
❔
Also available 
Kirk Lightsey with Freddie Hubbard — Temptation ... CD 16.99
Kirk Lightsey with Freddie Hubbard — Temptation ... CD 9.99
A very hip group, and a wonderful meeting between trumpeter Freddie Hubbard and pianist Kirk Lightsey! We always like Kirk, but love him even more when he's working with a horn player – as his sound seems to catch fire, and move with even bolder notes than usual – which is definitely the case on the album's opener, a nice take on Hubbard's classic "Gibraltar" – in a spirit that continues strongly throughout! Bass is from Santi Debriano, drums are from Eddie Gladden, and Jerry Gonzalez plays percussion on one track – and Freddie's in that great 80s sound of his – a mode that's a return to the straighter hardbop of his Blue Note years, but with the phrasing learned during his 70s funk years – on titles that include "Gibraltar", "Evidence", "Brigitte", "Temptation", and "Society Red".

Thanks for the heads-up, kh.  I hadn't seen that listing.

I'll be interested to see what the new material is.  I really dig the one cut with Gonzalez's percussion added.  I hope there's more of that.

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Last weeks selections were not my thing. But this week you moved into my territory. Both the Kirk Lightsey and Mulgrew Miller albums are definitely recordings I like. 

Have not heard the Hank  Crawford , Jimmy McGriff but will check it out.

I think you'll dig the Crawford-McGriff disc, Peter. :tup

In an interview with producer Bob Porter, he listed it as one of his favorites among all the albums he produced.

41 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

cdjapan doesn't give any information on what is the content of the second disc either. I have it pre-ordered there.

Please keep us posted on what you find on the new disc, jazzbo!  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

17 hours ago, HutchFan said:

My jazzblog selections for this week:

- Kirk Lightsey Trio featuring Freddie Hubbard - Temptation (Timeless/Baystate, 1988)

- Mulgrew Miller Quintet - Wingspan (Landmark/32 Jazz, 1987)

- Hank Crawford, Jimmy McGriff - Steppin' Up (Milestone, 1987)

Dan's posted his selections as well.

Feel free to comment -- here or on our blog.  :tup 

Dan hit a couple of bulls-eyes with the Tippett and Crispell, great albums both

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

In can’t believe we are on 1987 already.

Tempus fugit!  ;) 

I still haven't posted last week's (or this week's) picks.  I guess I'll go ahead and share them here now... and then post them on the blog this weekend.

My selections for last week:
********************************************************************************
- Steve Lacy Trio - The Window (Soul Note, 1988)
- Richard Davis, Sir Roland Hanna, Frederick Waits - Persia My Dear (DIW, 1987)
- Henry Threadgill - Easily Slip Into Another World (Novus, 1988)

My selections for this week:
********************************************************************************
- Hilton Ruiz - El Camino (The Road) (Novus, 1988)
- James Williams - Magical Trio 2 (EmArcy, 1988)
- Batacumbele - In Concert: Live at the University of Puerto Rico (Montuno, 1988)

On 8/8/2022 at 11:17 AM, HutchFan said:

Thanks for the heads-up, kh.  I hadn't seen that listing.

I'll be interested to see what the new material is.  I really dig the one cut with Gonzalez's percussion added.  I hope there's more of that.

Please keep us posted on what you find on the new disc, jazzbo!  :) 

I got my package in just now from cdjapan. The second disc contains one alternate take of Gibraltar, two alternate takes of Evidence, and two alternate takes of Society Red.

• 2 weeks later...

My selections for this week:

- Tom Harrell - Stories (Contemporary, 1988)
- Julius Hemphill - Julius Hemphill Big Band (Elektra Musician, 1988)
- Jack DeJohnette's Special Edition - Audio-Visualscapes (Impulse, 1988)

Three really strong picks, IMO.

What say you?

I occasionally cull my collection -- but only a tiny little bit.  Usually, it's just pallid stuff that I'd pulled from the dollar bin.

I wouldn't part with anything by Hemphill or DeJohnette or Harrell.  The collector in me is too ungenerous to let those sorta records go.

I know space is a concern for some folks.  That's understandable.  I'm fortunate to have my basement.  The shelves are pretty much full, but there's still room on the floor! :P 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I occasionally cull my collection -- but only a tiny little bit.  Usually, it's just pallid stuff that I'd pulled from the dollar bin.

I wouldn't part with anything by Hemphill or DeJohnette or Harrell.  The collector in me is too ungenerous to let those sorta records go.

I know space is a concern for some folks.  That's understandable.  I'm fortunate to have my basement.  The shelves are pretty much full, but there's still room on the floor! :P 

Space is a major issue in a small London flat (apartment). There was no more room on the shelves, the floor or in the storage cupboard in the kitchen! 100 went and I have to say it was really quite easy to prune that many. I have a tendency to buy lots of albums by an artist when I first get into them, I trimmed a few that were over-represented and also some that i just don't listen to or were unlikely to.  I'd never really enjoyed the Hemphill since buying it on release, I'm left with enough by him still to enjoy.

I found the exercise pretty liberating and had a very pleasant selling experience - I wasn't looking for lots of money just the space. I'm already considering titles for the next hundred.

Edited by mjazzg

14 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Space is a major issue in a small London flat (apartment). There was no more room on the shelves, the floor or in the storage cupboard in the kitchen! 100 went and I have to say it was really quite easy to prune that many. I have a tendency to buy lots of albums by an artist when I first get into them, I trimmed a few that were over-represented and also some that i just don't listen to or were unlikely to.  I'd never really enjoyed the Hemphill since buying it on release, I'm left with enough by him still to enjoy.

I found the exercise pretty liberating and had a very pleasant selling experience - I wasn't looking for lots of money just the space. I'm already considering titles for the next hundred.

Did you take them to a shop?