seldom seen sleeve covers for 7" singles

Rooster_Ties

Post whatever suits your fancy in this thread:  Sleeve covers for 7" singles that might be fairly obscure (though you could argue that 7" singles outside of pop music are, by definition, pretty obscure)...

These appear to be the images on the opposite sides of the same picture sleeve (for the same single) -- what prompted me to start this thread...

https://www.discogs.com/release/13608917-Terumasa-Hino-Pyramid-Think-About-It

R-13608917-1557435106-7242.jpeg.jpg

R-13608917-1557435107-3154.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

From 1973...

15 Kinder & Brötzmann, Van Hove, Bennink – Free Jazz Und Kinder

Original single info here...

https://www.discogs.com/release/1411440-15-Kinder-Br%C3%B6tzmann-Van-Hove-Bennink-Free-Jazz-Und-Kinder

But the images (shown here) are a little clearer from this 2020 reissue (separate Discogs link down below the images to the 2020 reissue).

Must have been a gatefold single (since there are four panels shown on Discogs).

R-15656021-1595969097-9681.jpeg.jpg

R-15656021-1595969097-3136.jpeg.jpg

R-15656021-1595969096-9120.jpeg.jpg

R-15656021-1595969096-3404.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/release/15656021-15-Kinder-Br%C3%B6tzmann-Van-Hove-Bennink-Free-Jazz-Und-Kinder

R-5896226-1405723042-8531.jpeg.jpg

Found this in a box of cheap singles in second hand shop.

This one, too:

R-7965283-1452550054-7936.jpeg.jpg

This one was in my brother's collection - I was so dumb to return it to him, as he certainly never again listened to it.

R-19286092-1624730685-2729.jpeg.jpg

I love this Tjader EP cover:

R-4889665-1378582500-8155.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

I'm not quite sure I get this thread, at least not by looking at what has been posted up to now.

So ANY 7" single or EP sleeve of jazz or jazz-ish vinyl is considered "seldom seen" (which would make this thread a "post ALL of your 45 rpm jazz and jazz-related sleeves here, regardless of there was something special about them or not" thread)? :blink:

Or was the OP thinking of
a) picture sleeves that have something VERY special about them (in what way? Artwork details? Printing? Shape and packaging? Depending on one's taste and preferences ANYTHING can be considered "special")?
b) "neutral" (non-picture) "generic" label sleeves which are off the ordinary for a generic sleeve because there IS something special about them that goes beyond the "generic"?
c) ACTUAL "singles" only? EPs usually came with picture sleeves anyway, 2-track SINGLES (with non-extended play of their tunes ^_^) much less so. And in those countries where EPs hung on much longer than (probably) in the States (such as Sweden and France) they ABOUNDED.

So would I post all of my RCA, Columbia, Atlantic et al. multi-EP sleeves here? Because by the yardsticks of OTHER decades than the 50s 7" multi-EP sleeves/albums definitely are "seldom seen"?
(Personally I would not consider those EPs that split the contents of a 12" 33 rpm LP onto an "album" of several 45s to be all that extraordinary but no doubt those who have never had any of these in their hands would think differently about the very format)

It’s just an all-purpose grab bag of 7” picture sleeves, which — almost definitionally  — would have been seldom seen by almost anyone (and everyone).

The format itself is rarely seen, or certainly  not anymore. And other than online pics, I’m not sure I’ve seen more than a small handful of jazz 45’s over the years.

27 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

It’s just an all-purpose grab bag of 7” picture sleeves, which — almost definitionally  — would have been seldom seen by almost anyone (and everyone).

The format itself is rarely seen, or certainly  not anymore. And other than online pics, I’m not sure I’ve seen more than a small handful of jazz 45’s over the years.

45s tended to have a shorter shelf life than LPs or CDs, and picture sleeves weren't always used throughout the run.  So I agree, 45 picture sleeves are by definition seldom seen.  :tup

9 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Rat Fink's cousin going Free Jazz? Amazing ... I wonder if Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth (or Stanley Mouse, maybe) had a hand in the "weirdo" artwork (or was be being plagiarized? :lol:)

Clugston who posts here uses this as his avatar.

I wondered at first if it was Basil Wolverton, but after looking at my Topps Ugly Stickers, which I thankfully retained from my childhood, I don't think so.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Before this thread fades off into obscurity without having ever got off the ground, here's an additon of something more off the known and familiar ...

No, the below LP did not give birth to a bunch of offsprings ... :D

Close to 25 years ago I picked up a fairly "pre-enjoyed" (but very cheap) U.S. original of "Ellington 55" at a fleamarket.  A very nice (though somewhat atypical) Ellington record but though the seam splits repaired OK, the vinyl IS rather pop-n-cracklish. So when by chance a full set of VG+++ 45s (U.S. originals) that make up the contents of this LP came my way in the jazz 45s bin at my #1 local secondhand record store I jumped on it ...

42255296uo.jpg

I still cannot quite fathom how come that jazz 45s with picture sleeves seem to be that rare (see earlier posts in this thread), at least in the US. Over here they can be found, and I have several hundred in my jazz vinyl collection myself (and picked up eight more original - 50s -  jazz 45s with picture sleeves at that shop today ...). I wouldn't know where to start posting mine, though .. maybe preferably more obscure ones such as the multi-record 45 rpm albums that were not that uncommon on U.S. RCA and Capitol - and probably other labels - in the 50s but for the most part seem to have been forgotten. After all these "45 rpm albums" marketed in parallel with regular 10 or 12" 33 rpm vinyls ARE oddball formats (in the jazz field and elsewhere) by today's standards.