Pat Metheny Side Eye NYC review

CJ  - I could not access the review by clicking on the link.  It worked when I copied and pasted it.

Nice review, btw.  I like how you tie in the development of the organ trio and discuss Francies' bass line work.  I'm really excited to get the CD.  I saw Metheny's Side Eye group in March of 2019 in Buffalo with Nate Smith on drums.  Looking forward to hear Gilmore on this one.

I've got the US version on pre-order. I did check out a Japanese version, but it would run $36 including shipping.  Perhaps "The Bat" will show up somewhere in the US eventually. I'm confused as to why they did not include it on the US version, but 0 whatever, I guess.

3 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

CJ  - I could not access the review by clicking on the link.  It worked when I copied and pasted it.

Nice review, btw.  I like how you tie in the development of the organ trio and discuss Francies' bass line work.  I'm really excited to get the CD.  I saw Metheny's Side Eye group in March of 2019 in Buffalo with Nate Smith on drums.  Looking forward to hear Gilmore on this one.

I've got the US version on pre-order. I did check out a Japanese version, but it would run $36 including shipping.  Perhaps "The Bat" will show up somewhere in the US eventually. I'm confused as to why they did not include it on the US version, but 0 whatever, I guess.

Thanks Ed.  I think Pat's well of knowledge as a player and connection to the tradition is deeper at this phase in his career.  Albums like this could be the Metheny that the next generations remember the same way we remember Bright Size Life and Offramp now. Sure there is the Orchestrion and guitar synth on the album but as unconventional as it is, it is very much an organ trio album for me.  Given my love of organ groups I think the brief history was important because I'm not sure how many of people of my generation know about that who either play jazz or are listeners, and also no review I've seen discusses the organ trio aspect. Honestly, the research isn't that hard to do.

A recent interview with Pat in this media blitz stated Francies' basslines remind him of Jack McDuff who is his favorite organ "bassist".  Pat's history and interest organ groups go deeper than I realize.