I'm a dummy, how to use avatar

Soul Stream

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soul Stream,

First, find a picture you'd like to use. It must be no larger than 100 x 100 pixels. To find out how large a file is if you're using windows, right click on it and choose "properties". You'll need some graphic software to edit the image if it's too big.

Once you have an image, remember where you saved it on your computer. Go to "My Controls" at the top right of the page. Go to "Edit Avatar Settings" and then use the browse feature to find your pic on your computer and upload it to the board server.

What would help in your seach (hopefully) is something I finally did (I'm no computer genius either) :blink: :

1. Do a Google image search, click the "advanced image search" to the right of the empty box, and when that comes up:

2. In the line that says: Return images that are -- say "small", and that will return you images that are smaller that 100x100.

3. Isolate the image you want, than cut and paste the URL of the isolated image to the avatar box on this board, and viola!

Hope this all makes sense. :rolleyes:

Edited by Matthew

Yeah, Impossible... me too. Can I (we) appeal to some of the truly gifted (kiss kiss :rolleyes: ) computer minds around here? Good- I thought so. I was able to figure out how to get an image off the internet, but what I'm still not clear about is how to upload images from my hard drive. I tried it once (at AAJ, actually), and failed. Since it's a pain in the ass to find just the right image on the net and still come in at or under 100X100, how can larger images be reduced on my computer and then uploaded? The application that I've been using to edit graphics on my Mac is called "Easy Photo" (by Adobe). I think I'm going about the upload process correctly, but I don't really understand if it's technically feasible to do it using this application software...

Edited by Jim R

Jim R,

Have you been saving your images as .jpg or .gif? Since you're on a Mac, I'm wondering if you need to add file extension names to the end of your files.

This software probably won't recognize your files unless you have an extension at the end. Example: picture1.jpg

Edited by AfricaBrass

Hey Mr. "I'm hipper than anybody here with my Mondrian", DON'T mess with Gomer. OR Barney Fife, for that matter. :angry: (deep breath)... :P My current avatar is a shot of Kenny Burrell, circa early 60's, with his customized (with a Charlie Christian pickup) L5. GOMER PYLE!?! :rolleyes:

Africa Brass, thanks... I'm not really sure if I can answer your question. I just noticed that some of my saved "photos" in "Easy Photo" (the icons) are labeled "pict" and some are labeled "jpeg". I don't know why or how that difference occurs. Maybe I should do some experimenting, and see if I can use your tip...

Sorry Jim. I never would have guessed Kenny Burrell, and the Charlie Christian pickup is certainly obscured in the photo. So what else was I to think? Jim Nabors, naturally. ;) And does Mondrian make me hip? Well, yes! :D

Edited by jmjk

I just noticed that some of my saved "photos" in "Easy Photo" (the icons) are labeled "pict" and some are labeled "jpeg".

Jim R,

The files labeled "pict" are pict files. The file extension is .pct - I don't know if this board supports them. My guess would be that it doesn't because pict files can be quite large.

The files labeled "jpeg" are jpeg's which are one of the standard file types used for images on the web. The file extensions for jpegs are .jpg - you'll need to rename your file with that extension. Example: Photo1.jpg

Your photo manipulation program should give you the option to save your pict files as jpegs. Just remember to use the .jpg extension.

Good luck!

Okay, here's what I just tried. I went to the avatar settings page, removed the Burrell URL, clicked on the upload box, and selected an Easy Photo file from my hard drive. Then, I noticed that in the box where I had clicked, it just showed the name I had given to the file when I created it (in no way related to the original URL from where I originally got it off the internet). I tried submitting it anyway (knowing it probably wouldn't work), and got:

"You're not allowed to use that type of file as an avatar"

So, how would I go about althering the file name when I try to complete the upload?

Jeff, I was just being nutty. :D

Africa Brass, thanks for your tips. I still couldn't get a "pict" to work, even after I saved it as a "png" (the only option I had that matched the board's choices). I did, however, get an Easy Photo jpeg to work, which is cool. I'll keep experimenting. :)