The Kenny G Corner..... Not

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never into Gorelick's style. But, I was able to tolerate him, not as a jazz player, but as a player of decent, modern, instrumental music. That is, till I read the interview he gave to Barnes & Noble. Now I think, what a egomaniac, ignorant, ass.

Remember this nonsense from the G-Boy?

KG: ...when you listen to Charlie Parker, on pretty much any record he's going to sound the same... Charlie Parker would squeak a lot, and that's why they called him Bird, because his reed would chirp.

B&N.com: You think that's why they called him Bird? That's interesting.

KG: That is why they called him Bird. That was the deal. He played so fast, and his reed would chirp because it... I don't know, it just couldn't take the speed of his fingers. But Sonny Stitt used to do it without the chirping thing, and played beautiful. But I don't think he ever got the same accolades that Charlie Parker did, mainly because Charlie Parker was the first one. Anyway, I know a lot about that kind of music, and I admire those players.

OMG! :rolleyes:

read my signature, that's all I gotta say on this topic :P

"They don't like Kenny G, so they didn't like the piece . . . A lot of sax players hate his sound, but I think it's kind of, uh, interesting. Plus he's the only person to have put an instrumental in the Top 40 in recent memory and you have to respect him for that. . . . Well you don't have to."

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Yanni is my nomination. I saw him one night on PBS in between interminable 'begging breaks', aka pledge drives, and his music is a morass of pretentious noodling that masquerades as something profound. yes, he looks serious when he plays it, but so do many others lacking in talent.

Agree with everything that's been said about Mr. G, the particularly odious Yanni and anything else that hasn't been said about others who are cut from the same cloth. What's really scary is the numbers of people these lame-o's draw to their live performances. It just serves to confirm what I think we all already know. No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public...especially when it comes to music.

Up over and out.

KG: ...when you listen to Charlie Parker, on pretty much any record he's going to sound the same... Charlie Parker would squeak a lot, and that's why they called him Bird, because his reed would chirp.

B&N.com: You think that's why they called him Bird? That's interesting.

KG: That is why they called him Bird. That was the deal. He played so fast, and his reed would chirp because it... I don't know, it just couldn't take the speed of his fingers. But Sonny Stitt used to do it without the chirping thing, and played beautiful. But I don't think he ever got the same accolades that Charlie Parker did, mainly because Charlie Parker was the first one. Anyway, I know a lot about that kind of music, and I admire those players.

:excited::lol::lol::lol:

Oh man......that's great! I'll be forwarding that one along to other jazz lovers I know....it will make their day.

These are all pretty easy targets, don't ya think?

I dunno. G’s music is the only one that has ever made me angry. The Hallmark store I was in at Christmas-time played “Songbird” over the muzak; that one song emphasizes everything that’s wrong with his “music:” the soulless new-age accompaniment, the nasal-whine of G’s sax, and the endless repetition of the theme with absolutely NO improvisation. The fact that clueless people refer to this shit as jazz literally infuriates me.

My Dad hates Gorelick. My Dad made the comment, "He plays his notes upside-down, the big end comes out first." If you listen to G-Boy's notes, they do sound this way. I began to really dislike Gorelick when I thought of his notes being played upside-down.

FYI: My Dad is a Paul Desmond person.

Edited by wesbed

Dave Matthews couldn't grate much harder on my nerves. I remember hearing him for the first time, in my ex-wife's car...driving down to the courthouse to sign our divorce papers. I couldn't say anything because it was an emotional day, but it really felt like someone was taking a big explosive dump in my ears.

The Hallmark store I was in at Christmas-time played “Songbird” over the muzak;

See, I think the department or grocery store is the perfect place for this kind of crap- wallpaper for shopping. I get kind of bugged when I hear good jazz (like Kind Of Blue or Time Out, which seem to be two jazz classics that have penetrated the main stream) presented as "muzak". Seems kind of sacreligous to me somehow. I can tune out G and his cronies just fine.

Yanni is my nomination. I saw him one night on PBS in between interminable 'begging breaks', aka pledge drives, and his music is a morass of pretentious noodling that masquerades as something profound. yes, he looks serious when he plays it, but so do many others lacking in talent.

I would pay PBS not to play pretentious crap like this.

See, I think the department or grocery store is the perfect place for this kind of crap- wallpaper for shopping. I get kind of bugged when I hear good jazz (like Kind Of Blue or Time Out, which seem to be two jazz classics that have penetrated the main stream) presented as "muzak". Seems kind of sacreligous to me somehow. I can tune out G and his cronies just fine.

Wish I could do that! Hearing the G-man strangle a sax is akin to hearing a dentist drill. Actually, it’s much MUCH worse: one doesn’t expect to hear a dentist drill in a shopping center!