The Kenny G Corner..... Not

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, damn it, I'll admit it's a guilty pleasure, but I kind of like the Offspring. I don't understand anyone describing them as "whiny". If anything, I'd describe them as musical comedy. I'm not saying I put them on the level of Mingus or something (nor would I say that about Floyd!), but "whiny"? And comparing them to the Spice Girls? Hmmm. Just a personal weakness I suppose...

These are all pretty easy targets, don't ya think?

I'll say.

As much as I dislike Kenny G. - and I admit to never really hearing him except on the shopping mall Muzak and occassionally at my dad's house - I can't say that I "dislike" his music any more than *some* of the stuff I've heard by Cecil Taylor, Brontzmann, and other "legit" jazz artists.

For a jazz fan to say they dislike Kenny G is like shooting fish in a barrel. If you don't consider him "jazz" in the first place, then why even bother dissing him. I have more respect for someone saying that they hate the Rolling Stones (though I'd also say they were crazy in the head...) ;)

See, I think the department or grocery store is the perfect place for this kind of crap- wallpaper for shopping. I get kind of bugged when I hear good jazz (like Kind Of Blue or Time Out, which seem to be two jazz classics that have penetrated the main stream) presented as "muzak". Seems kind of sacreligous to me somehow. I can tune out G and his cronies just fine.

Wish I could do that! Hearing the G-man strangle a sax is akin to hearing a dentist drill. Actually, it’s much MUCH worse: one doesn’t expect to hear a dentist drill in a shopping center!

I like the scene in the 2nd "Wayne's world" movie when Kenny G is playing and Wayne or Garth has a vision of being in a dentist's chair and the drill is whining... :D

Dude--

The REAL Pink Floyd only recored ** ONE ** album and it's called "The Piper At the Gates of Dawn."

That's like saying the REAL Miles Davis only recorded one album called "The Birth of the Cool." ;)

I see a real difference between Syd Barrett Floyd and the Waters/Gilmour Floyd.

I LOVE Piper at the Gates at Dawn (and Syd's solo records too). It's my favorite sixties psychedelic record. I love this album so much that I regularily play the tracks on my guitar. My last band even covered the album for fun. We once played a show which we performed the whole album. :g

I also LOVE what Gilmour brought to the band, but to me, it was a different creature. I love that version up to Dark Side of the Moon. I think they peaked at Meddle.

For anyone who hasn't read the whole interview with the "G", it's still available at B&N.com. I posted this back on the BNBB one time, I believe.

Kenny G Interview

It's all pretty funny - I like his comment about learning 'Trane's solo in "Giant Steps". Sounds like he thinks there's little soul in JC's music, just technique.

-Erik

Hey AB, I don't disagree with you at all that there's a big difference between the Syd Barrett Floyd and what came after. And though I love Meddle and Dark Side, I'm really not that big a fan overall. What I "objected" too earlier (and "objected" is way too strong a word as I was mostly funnin') was the idea that Piper was the only "real" PF album. That's a ridiculous statement to me; like saying the "real Beatles" had Pete Best rather than Ringo. :g

And Evan Parker's solo records don't sound like dentist's drills? I mean, they're great, but come on! You have to admit that's why you buy them!

That aside, don't dig muzak or Floyd (but I do like when the Flaming Lips tried to sound like Floyd). Beatles and Stones are on a case-by-case basis (kind of like dogs for me). Dig the first Sabbath record. Don't dig all the Pearl Jam wannabes still coming out of the woodwork, nor do I particularly like Pearl Jam. Don't like that nouveau-garage shit much either, but at least it's fucking rock-and-roll! Generally don't like music-recycling in the first place. I liked 'emo' when it was on Dischord and Homestead, but not when it somehow got signed to DreamWorks!