Discovering Tobias Delius

JSngry

I have heard a few Delius recordings. Toby's Mloby is also recommended as is Apa Ini. I generally enjoy many of the musicians associated with the Dutch scene and Delius may be one of the best. HIs group approach seems unique and he has a very interesting tone and approach on saxophone. If you have the book New Dutch Swing by Kevin Whitehead, there is some good background information on Delius.

As great as Ab Baars & Michael Moore are on various reeds, Toby was usually the bigger impact player when seeing ICP live. He’s got the old school swing with avant-garde sensibilities ingrained in his vibrant improvising. Try Astro Notes from Joost Buis. On a couple of tracks Delius explodes out of the speakers. I’m a long time listener to all of these musicians 

listened to a quartet with Delius this AM - Hook, Line & Sinker with Axel Dorner, Antonio Borghini & Tristan Honsinger. Drummerless magic music on Relative Pitch records