Nucleus at the BBC on the way

I thought 12 CDs of the Barbara Thompson material would be too much but the box has been on very regular repeat play on my player, all of it. Musical quality and sonics very impressive so if the Nucleus is comparable it will be a no-brainier. If, like the Thompson the sources are good reel to reel from BBC stereo FM then it should be great.

Not to mention that Roger F. Is doing the notes !

Edited by sidewinder

$118 on amazon, $73 on importcds.  Still only tempted, not that hot on their albums later than the original group (many of the originals then went off and joined Soft Machine).  Probably more tempted by the Barbara Thompson, just because I don't have anything by her, as I have the run of 70's and early 80's Nucleus albums

21 hours ago, felser said:

$118 on amazon, $73 on importcds.  Still only tempted, not that hot on their albums later than the original group (many of the originals then went off and joined Soft Machine).  Probably more tempted by the Barbara Thompson, just because I don't have anything by her, as I have the run of 70's and early 80's Nucleus albums

Thanks for the info. Agreed that the earlier Nucleus recordings appeal more and the Barbara Thompson set looks more attractive (at roughly similar price).

[Added] I found a box set of the 1970-75 Nucleus releases (9 LP on 6 CD) at a reasonable price and went for that...the material is new to me because I've only become interested in British jazz-rock of that vintage over the past couple of years (thanks to Jazz in Britain on bandcamp and Scott's sales on this site).

Edited by T.D.

On 10/14/2021 at 9:39 PM, sidewinder said:

I thought 12 CDs of the Barbara Thompson material would be too much but the box has been on very regular repeat play on my player, all of it. Musical quality and sonics very impressive so if the Nucleus is comparable it will be a no-brainier. If, like the Thompson the sources are good reel to reel from BBC stereo FM then it should be great.

Not to mention that Roger F. Is doing the notes !

Guilty as charged! However, the 12CD box is now actually 13CDs and will retail for £70. Having listened to all the CDs I can attest that this material, which has been painstakingly remastered by Eroc is really quite stunning. In addition to the "usual" Nucleus fare - and frankly there was nothing usual about Nucleus - there are some extremely rare, never before heard programmes such as Gordon Beck's suite The Dream with Norma Winstone and Nucleus. Then there's the hour long Radio 3 Music In Our Time broadcast in which varying permutations of Nucleus members play entirely improvised pieces. There's more of course, but another nice feature (also heard on the Barbara Thompson box) is the inclusion of announcements by some of the best comperes of the day, not least the late, great Peter Clayton whose witty intros added piquancy to the sets. The same can also be said for John Peel whose voice opens CD1 with some very amusing banter. Voices also heard include Brian Priestley, Digby Fairweather and Ian Carr himself (coincidentally all co-authors of the Rough Guide To Jazz). Whilst the intros aren't as crucial as the music they do add some perspective and sense of place and sometimes explain the pieces in detail which is a useful adjunct. By the way, the 13th CD is comprised of two sets, the tapes of which were produced at the very last minute and contain some truly fabulous stuff. If I could rate this box obectively (which I can't) I would wager, quite seriously, that it's going to be British jazz archival release of the year. 

nucleus-BBC Live cover_small.jpg

Edited by RogerF

Sold to me ! :D  Thanks for the clarifications - a no-brainier when it hits the street. I’m sure it will be brilliant.

I love those old ‘Jazz Today’, ‘Sounds of Jazz’ and ‘Jazz in Britain’ shows and it is always good to hear Peter Clayton, Charles Fox et al, guys who really knew their stuff when it came to jazz of that era and who weren’t BS-ing with trendy pontifications.

Never got to hear enough of these shows back in the day. If I remember right, ‘Jazz Today’ interfered with school hours and ‘Jazz In Britain’ went out at some god-forsaken hour when everyone was fast asleep !

Additional plus -  the BBC FM stereo transmissions when recorded reel to reel sound pretty damn good. That was the case with the BT box so no doubt will apply too here.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Bob, please let us know if it isn't too much of a good thing!

Will do. I respect Roger’s word on this and suspect that it will be 10x a good thing. The approach seems to be in line with the Barbara Thompson set i.e. full FM broadcasts remastered to the very best standard. I heard only a couple of these broadcasts at the time and this is a great chance to ‘catch up’.

First reactions on this set after listening to the first 2 CDs - very nice. Maybe not for the Carr/Nucleus ‘newbie’ but fans will be pleased with this set. About 3 hours of the music were supplied from BBC sources, with much of the rest collector FM airchecks which have been expertly remastered. A couple of the early sessions e.g. from John Peel’s ‘Top Gear’ in 1970 sound to be from lowish fi but quite acceptable AM recordings with the occasional dropout but any sonic issues are outweighed by the music. There’s a noticeable stretching out of solos (more so than on the LP releases from the band) and sense of adventure which makes these radio sessions an important listen.

Even 2CDs in it is thumbs up from me on this one - like the Barbara Thompson set, an important release.

Interesting that some of the audio was also supplied from the collectors archive of the guys at ‘Jazz In Britain’. Best available sources seems to have been tapped.

Fun to hear Spedding and Carr doing their ‘vocal bit’ on the CD1 ‘Sounds of the 70s’ Radio 1 session from 1970. Maybe after a mainstream singles hit to get them on TOTP? (‘1916’ with b-side ‘Ballad of Joe Pimp’ perhaps?)

Edited by sidewinder

So far the major ‘find’ for me has been the broadcast of Gordon Beck’s ‘The Dream’ suite on CD4 for the ‘Jazz In Britain’ programme, with Norma Winstone and John Taylor. Really good adventurous stuff - and a shame it wasn’t worked into a studio LP release at that time. Not standard Nucleus fare, I guess.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

So far the major ‘find’ for me has been the broadcast of Gordon Beck’s ‘The Dream’ suite on CD4 for the ‘Jazz In Britain’ programme, with Norma Winstone and John Taylor. Really good adventurous stuff - and a shame it wasn’t worked into a studio LP release at that time. Not standard Nucleus fare, I guess.

Sounds very interesting. I'm lukewarm about Nucleus generally but in that company I could be drawn in

46 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Sounds very interesting. I'm lukewarm about Nucleus generally but in that company I could be drawn in

It’s a half-hour suite. Not typical of much of the rest of the set, which concentrates on Nucleus, but an unexpected bonus.

Too many versions of ‘Snakehip’s Dream’ for my liking though. One or two would be enough !

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...