Questions for sgcim

Teasing the Korean

@sgcim I have two questions for you:

1. Did you ever cross paths with Billy Bauer?

2. Are you familiar with Jack Marshall's Capitol album 18th Century Jazz?  I can find only one video of one track on the InterTubes.  The arrangements are fantastic.  It is from 1959, but the arrangement of "Invitation" sounds like he time travelled to the early 1970s.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I never met him, but i read his huge autobiography, "Sideman".

Some friends of mine studied with him, and they'd come out of every lesson shell-shocked from the way he'd yell at them for not practicing, or not getting the lesson right. They'd drive away from his studio in silence.

Another guy, who was more experienced than the above mentioned two guys, said that he reached a point where BB had taught him everything he knew, and BB would keep suggesting that he call Lennie Tristano, and start lessons with him.My friend told him he didn't want to study with LT, but BB wouldn't stop pushing Lennie on him. Finally, BB gave up and asked him who he wanted to study with, and my friend named another guitar player, and BB gave him the guy's number, and that was the last he saw of him.

I know BB played guitar in the Dixieland band that was playing at the party scene in "The Hustler", but the credits of the soundtrack album list 'Joseph' Barry Galbraith as the guitar player on the rest of the score (non-diagetic music).

I got the second volume of that "Crime and Spy Jazz on Screen" by Derrick Bang, and this one deals with music "Since 1971". Same format as the first, and the beginning deals with things Quincy Jones wrote for in the 70s. I'll post more about it in the Books About Jazz section.

I never heard of that Jack Marshall album, but I'll look around for it. It sounds very interesting. Thanks for hipping me to it!

22 hours ago, sgcim said:

I got the second volume of that "Crime and Spy Jazz on Screen" by Derrick Bang, and this one deals with music "Since 1971". Same format as the first, and the beginning deals with things Quincy Jones wrote for in the 70s. I'll post more about it in the Books About Jazz section.

I'll look forward to what you have to say.  I particularly wonder if the music after 1975 developed much over the years.

On 17.10.2021 at 8:53 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

2. Are you familiar with Jack Marshall's Capitol album 18th Century Jazz?  I can find only one video of one track on the InterTubes.  The arrangements are fantastic.  It is from 1959, but the arrangement of "Invitation" sounds like he time travelled to the early 1970s.  

You bring up BAD memories ....:(

About 15 years ago i bought this on eBay when I was rather on the lookout for jazz obscurities and oddities from the 50s. But when it arrived it was cracked ... :angry: a bad crack that extends tangentially to the dead wax for about 2 thirds of the record! Clearly a real dimwittest of dimwitty sellers was at work when he packaged the record "as flimsy as could be". With a lot of care I was able to coax the record back into near-enough shape and alignment to be able to listen to side 2 (not with the newest of styluses of course) with only a revolving click audible. (Side 1 skips too badly at the crack line so no point insisting ...).

What I did hear then (and I just relistened now after having dug the LP from its grave in a far corner of my collection ;)) was amusing but a bit gimmicky and some of the tunes were a bit low on jazz (even chamber jazz) content for my taste. I am not the biggest fan of flutes in jazz, the cello is no great swinger and the harpsichord was a bit over the top (though it did bring in a nice Gramecry Five feeling in places) - so all in all nice to have but no desert island disc. But of course I was unable to listen really closely as the click did have me worried for my stylus.

FWIW, as a bit of "consolation" a couple of years ago an EP extracted from that LP (Capitol EAP 1-1108) came my way. The tunes (Have You Met Miss Jones/Jeepers Creepers/It Might As well Be Spring/Sweet Georgia Brown) are probably some of the more jazzish of the lot, and at least I've now got one third of the LP contents in playable condition until the LP comes my way again. ;)

The tunes (e.g. "Have you Met Miss Jones") do remind me of some of the exercises in that vein that Horst Jankowski and Wolfgang Lauth did over here (before 1959!) with jazz-cum-baroque chamber music settings (though certainly not as third-streamish as the MJQ or George Gruntz).

And from what I have "heard" from the remainder of the LP I can very well imagine that it will appeal to those who like film music. I can imagine some of the tunes as a sort of semi-jazz movie background ...

Re- Jack Marshall, I had not been aware of him before I took the plunge for that 18th Century Jazz LP. But I've more consciously taken note of his presence on various studio dates since. He can do more than he did on that 18th Century Jazz LP, e.g. on the first of the two Dom Frontiere LPs in the Liberty "Jazz In Hollywood" series (LJH 6002). He has a few pleasant solo spots on guitar there.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

50 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

You bring up BAD memories ....:(

About 15 years ago i bought this on eBay when I was rather on the lookout for jazz obscurities and oddities from the 50s. But when it arrived it was cracked ... :angry: a bad crack that extends tangentially to the dead wax for about 2 thirds of the record! Clearly a real dimwittest of dimwitty sellers was at work when he packaged the record "as flimsy as could be". With a lot of care I was able to coax the record back into near-enough shape and alignment to be able to listen to side 2 (not with the newest of styluses of course) with only a revolving click audible. (Side 1 skips too badly at the crack line so no point insisting ...).

What I did hear then (and I just relistened now after having dug the LP from its grave in a far corner of my collection ;)) was amusing but a bit gimmicky and some of the tunes were a bit low on jazz (even chamber jazz) content for my taste. I am not the biggest fan of flutes in jazz, the cello is no great swinger and the harpsichord was a bit over the top (though it did bring in a nice Gramecry Five feeling in places) - so all in all nice to have but no desert island disc. But of course I was unable to listen really closely as the click did have me worried for my stylus.

FWIW, as a bit of "consolation" a couple of years ago an EP extracted from that LP (Capitol EAP 1-1108) came my way. The tunes (Have You Met Miss Jones/Jeepers Creepers/It Might As well Be Spring/Sweet Georgia Brown) are probably some of the more jazzish of the lot, and at least I've now got one third of the LP contents in playable condition until the LP comes my way again. ;)

The tunes (e.g. "Have you Met Miss Jones") do remind me of some of the exercises in that vein that Horst Jankowski and Wolfgang Lauth did over here (before 1959!) with jazz-cum-baroque chamber music settings (though certainly not as third-streamish as the MJQ or George Gruntz).

And from what I have "heard" from the remainder of the LP I can very well imagine that it will appeal to those who like film music. I can imagine some of the tunes as a sort of semi-jazz movie background ...

Re- Jack Marshall, I had not been aware of him before I took the plunge for that 18th Century Jazz LP. But I've more consciously taken note of his presence on various studio dates since. He can do more than he did on that 18th Century Jazz LP, e.g. on the first of the two Dom Frontiere LPs in the Liberty "Jazz In Hollywood" series (LJH 6002). He has a few pleasant solo spots on guitar there.

Sadly, it seems that you missed "Invitation."

No point trying playing the full length of "Invitation". It's the second to last track on side 2 but the crack separates into 2 cracks towards the dead wax and on the final two tracks you'd get two clicks and major stumbling blocks for your stylus.

According to the below source there do not seem any other EPs from that LP (Bruyninckx does not list any EP releases).

https://jazzdiscogcorner.pagesperso-orange.fr/discographies_%20labels/c/capitol/instrumentals/m/marshall_jack/discography/capitol_jackmarshall_1958.htm