Bird and Diz playing ‘Hot House’ extended

Hardbopjazz

From the YouTube description…

>> Here’s a historic TV broadcast of the founding fathers of bebop, Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie, playing together in 1952. It’s one of only two known sound films of Parker playing–and the only one of him playing live, rather than synching to a prerecorded track. The performance is from a February 24, 1952 broadcast on the pioneering DuMont Television Network. The segment begins with a brief ceremony in which Parker and Gillespie receive awards from Down Beat magazine (Earl Wilson and Leonard feather). Follows a performance of the bebop standard “Hot House,” composed by Tad Dameron around the harmonic structure of Cole Porter’s “What Is This Thing Called Love?.”

I thought there wasn’t any actual “live” with live-sound footage of Parker in existence — or am I misremembering?

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this footage before (just not colorized), so this isn’t footage that’s new to me — just the claim that the sound is ‘live’ and not mimed.

(Or maybe I’m conflating two different clips, which is entirely possible too.)

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

From the YouTube description…

>> Here’s a historic TV broadcast of the founding fathers of bebop, Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie, playing together in 1952. It’s one of only two known sound films of Parker playing–and the only one of him playing live, rather than synching to a prerecorded track. The performance is from a February 24, 1952 broadcast on the pioneering DuMont Television Network. The segment begins with a brief ceremony in which Parker and Gillespie receive awards from Down Beat magazine (Earl Wilson and Leonard feather). Follows a performance of the bebop standard “Hot House,” composed by Tad Dameron around the harmonic structure of Cole Porter’s “What Is This Thing Called Love?.”

I thought there wasn’t any actual “live” with live-sound footage of Parker in existence — or am I misremembering?

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this footage before (just not colorized), so this isn’t footage that’s new to me — just the claim that the sound is ‘live’ and not mimed.

(Or maybe I’m conflating two different clips, which is entirely possible too.)

You are confused and thinking of the Gijon Mili film/footage, which was filmed silently with an added mimed soundtrack. The above footage is from a live TV show and is not mimed.