Janot Morales Quartet - Miles Inspiration

Rabshakeh

such a great album! the Belgian Jazz discography here

http://jazzerfgoed.be/

says 1974... I have the issue on Selection at home and can check whether any info is given there... but I don't even know which edition is the earlier one

edit to add: that online discography is based on Pernet's book so it's probably the best info that's out there... discogs claims that my edition is the earlier one

Edited by Niko

if you compare catalogue numbers on discogs, it looks like both appeared in the mid-70s... the French edition is clearly marketed as library music while the Selection release has the name of the artist on the cover... which seems typical of Selection who were somehow straddling the boundary between library music and normal music in those years

https://www.discogs.com/label/101653-Selection-Records

hard to say who was earlier, I would have guessed the other way round... the liner notes are indeed extensive, starting, IIRC with a meeting of Paul Dubois and Janot Morales in Brussels in 1941 with Janot telling Paul about the birth of his son Garcia... who grew up to become the drummer on this album... and so it goes on - I would almost be surprised if something as mundane as a recording date is mentioned between all those stories

On 26-10-2021 at 3:59 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I can't say I know him well either to be honest. I think I may have had it on my list to look into from the euromodernism thread a few months back.

I must have mentioned him... a name that shows up in European Big Band lineups starting in the early 40s with Django... this is his only jazz album as a leader of a small group (tp./p/b/dr) and imho it's a great album

R-6735336-1425574370-2267.jpeg.jpg

I just had a careful look at my Belgian issue of the album on Selection Records, including the "extensive liner notes" (mostly a biography of Morales in English and in French)... no recording date is given and it's a bit unclear from the notes whether Morales is still alive... but the liner notes do mention that Morales participated in the album "Brussels Big Band (1980, Vogue)" (this one) which places the present album in the 1980s as well... the "Dictionnaire du jazz a Bruxelles et en Wallonie" places the album in 1983 - which makes sense, also optically... of course it was recorded earlier because Morales died indeed in 1981... the same book mentions that pianist Gus Decock toured with Morales in 1977 after retiring from years of studio work... but in fact, that doesn't say much because recording library albums like this one may well have been part of the studio work...

so: I tend to believe in the recording date of 1974 (given in Pernets discography - Pernet also wrote the liner notes on the album), or at least mid-seventies... I heavily doubt that this Belgian edition from the 80s is the original even though I don't have a date for the French edition

R-3209293-1320587914.jpeg.jpg