The Prestige All Stars

sonnymax

Howdy folks. I hope you're all doing well. I have a question that arose while I was cataloging some digital music. Specifically, I added the 1957 recording for Prestige entitled Olio. Different sources credit this date to Thad Jones, while other releases assign no leadership, listing all the participants (Thad Jones, Frank Wess, Teddy Charles, Mal Waldron, Doug Watkins, Elvin Jones) as displayed on the cover. Checking out jazzdisco.org, this title along with 20 others is credited to The Prestige All Stars. Some of these albums bear the TPAS name on the cover or label, like Wheelin' & Dealin', All Day/Night Long, Earthy, etc., but others like Olio do not.

I'm curious as to how you might organize these titles in your collection. Would they be better placed under one artist's name, under various artists, or put them all together under TPAS as the Jazz Discography Project team does. I understand there's probably no definitive answer to this question, but I'm interested in others' opinions, especially the obsessive-compulsives among us. :P Thanks in advance.

I keep all my V.A. records at the end of the alphabet, chronologically.

or...

Under whoever's name it is I know I'll remember it for.

Now, having said that...I can't remember where this one is...let me go look...

I have it filed as/with Thad Jones, but it took a while before I looked there.

I file these kinds of albums where I will remember to find them.  All Night Long was later reissued under Kenny Burrell and also Kenny Burrell/Donald Byrd.  I file it under Burrell, because that is who I think of, and Burrell and Byrd are close enough in the alphabet. 

Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat by the Latin Jazz All-Stars is filed under Buddy Collette, because that is whom I associate with this album.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I consider "various artists" albums as compilations, including multiple artists/groups recorded at multiple sessions.  I would never file an album recorded by a single group at a single session in various artists.

But that's just me.  Albums should be filed where you will find them.  I may file a single artist in multiple sections, depending on the nature of the music.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

28 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

you guys prestige gets filed by catalog numbers. whether or not you put New Jazz issues with prestige nunbers in the prestige or seperated new jazz section at end is up to you I personally have them at end even the ones w/ prestige catalog numbers-- maybe i will review that. 

That's the way I organize Prestige LPs--by catalog number, but subdivided between the main label and the sublabels (New Jazz, Moodsville, Swingville, Bluesville, International, Tru Sound).

I never realized how many CDs are listed under the band name "The Prestige All Stars" on The Discography Project's webpage.

I have several of them filed under a single leader because that's how I thought they should be filed. For instance, who knew that Coltrane's "Dakar" was originally a Prestige All-Stars session? Ditto Paul Quinichette's "Basie Reunion" & Herbie Mann's "Just Wailin'" - the CD spine says their name right there.

But a deeper dive seems to indicate that me filing "All Night Long" & "All Day Long" under Kenny Burrell's name might have been the wrong move. Nor should "The Cats" be filed under Tommy Flanagan's name. Hmmmm... do I fix them?

And thank you @sonnymax for bringing this up. I seem to have misplaced "All Day Long" & "Roots". This query also got me to find a Prestige Blues-Swingers LP that I never knew existed ("Stasch")... and it's got Coleman Hawkins on it! I picked up a copy to hear.

Anyone wondering the titles, here they are:

OJC CD Name (Leader listed on CD spine)

2 Trumpets (Art Farmer/Donald Byrd)

Tenor Conclave (Mobley/Cohn/Coltrane/Sims)

All Night Long (Donald Byrd/Kenny Burrell)

All Day Long (Kenny Burrell/Donald Byrd)

Earthy (Farmer, Cohn, Burrell, Waldron/Prestige All-Stars)

Three Trumpets (Farmer/Byrd/Sulieman)

Four Altos (Woods, Quill, Shihab, Stein)

Olio (Thad Jones, Frank Wess, Teddy Charles, Mal Waldron, Doug Watkins, Elvin Jones)

2 Guitars (Kenny Burrell/Jimmy Raney)

Interplay For 2 Trumpets And 2 Tenors (Coltrane/Jaspar/Sulieman/Young)

Coolin' (Idrees Sulieman/John Jenkins/Teddy Charles/Mal Waldron)

The Cats (Flanagan, Coltrane, Burrell)

Dakar (John Coltrane)

Curtis Fuller And Hampton Hawes with French Horns (Curtis Fuller and Hampton Hawes)

After Hours With Thad Jones/Kenny Burrell/Frank Wess/Mal Waldron/Paul Chambers/Arthur Taylor (Thad Jones/Kenny Burrell/Frank Wess)

Wheelin' And Dealin' (John Coltrane/Frank Wess)

Roots (Prestige All-Stars)

Just Wailin' (Herbie Mann)

Basie Reunion (Paul Quinichette)

Very Saxy (Davis/Tate/Hawkins/Cobb)

And the Prestige Blues-Swingers:

Outskirts Of Town (The Prestige Blues-Swingers)

Stasch (The Prestige Blues-Swingers With Coleman Hawkins)

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

If jazz were classical music, there would be a cheap CD box set bundling all those Prestige All Stars albums.  

I wonder why that hasn't been done yet...

And not just the Prestige All Stars. You'd think there'd be all sorts of jazz that would be ripe for the sort of packaging that's been so common in classical music. 

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

And not just the Prestige All Stars. You'd think there'd be all sorts of jazz that would be ripe for the sort of packaging that's been so common in classical music. 

Yeah.  The closest I've seen were the two Vogue box sets that were very cheap when new.  They've since gone up in price.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Probably because there are publishing royalties to pay on the jazz sets.

I've learned that The Prestige Blues-Swingers "Stasch" session is on a Coleman Hawkins compilation called "Bean and the Boys". Who came up with this compilation? It has a bunch of Hawkins 78s from the 40s combined with the 1959 "Stasch" session, which is much different from that earlier material. I bet I picked this compilation up several times and put it back down, figuring I had the older material already and not realizing that the 1959 session was probably a good reason to pick it up. :)

R-10169528-1492809160-1627.jpeg.jpg