The Prestige All Stars

sonnymax

6 hours ago, bresna said:

I've learned that The Prestige Blues-Swingers "Stasch" session is on a Coleman Hawkins compilation called "Bean and the Boys". Who came up with this compilation? It has a bunch of Hawkins 78s from the 40s combined with the 1959 "Stasch" session, which is much different from that earlier material. I bet I picked this compilation up several times and put it back down, figuring I had the older material already and not realizing that the 1959 session was probably a good reason to pick it up. :)

R-10169528-1492809160-1627.jpeg.jpg

Same here. They should have made two separate discs with the older and newer material.

56 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This one?

doubly deceptive, it is NOT "Les Jazz Modes"! Nor, best as I can find, was that ever a cover for that record!

That's the one.  Either way, it's pretty jarring to go from 40 minutes of eastern-tinged grooves to dixieland.  

I burned my own CD with both of the Indo Jazz albums on one disc.

Collectibles also reissued four Les Baxter Reprise albums in the form of two twofers.  

There were two exotica albums and two schmaltzy albums.

What did Collectibles do?  They paired each of the two exotica albums with one of the schmaltzy albums. 

35 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Collectibles also reissued four Les Baxter Reprise albums in the form of two twofers.  

There were two exotica albums and two schmaltzy albums.

What did Collectibles do?  They paired each of the two exotica albums with one of the schmaltzy albums. 

So you had to buy two CDs instead of 1.

It's the OJC strategy - if you want two records, you are going to have to buy two records, we ain't making it easy for you!

I just completely LOST Joe Castro's 'Groove Funk Soul' album because I thought his name was Costa and couldn't for the life of me remember who the uninteresting (to me) UK musicians were on the album Collectables coupled the Castro with.

OK, I DID remember his name eventually. But a curse be upon Collectables' name.

MG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 15.11.2021 at 0:46 AM, mikeweil said:

Finally found a used copy of this at a reasonable price, looking forward to it. This would have fitted into the Swingville series just as well. One after another I fll the gaps in my collection.

R-8218631-1457359384-3496.jpeg.jpg

This disc arrived here only today! For unknown reasons it was returned to the seller, so I ordered some more, and he included it in that package. Really a nice  album, but Rudy Van Gelder was a bit too generous with his reverb, for my taste.

On 10/29/2021 at 4:48 PM, JSngry said:

So you had to buy two CDs instead of 1.

It's the OJC strategy - if you want two records, you are going to have to buy two records, we ain't making it easy for you!

Too bad there’s no OJC anymore. 

Just ordered the AP SACD of All Night Long. 

On 26.10.2021 at 0:47 AM, sonnymax said:

Howdy folks. I hope you're all doing well. I have a question that arose while I was cataloging some digital music. Specifically, I added the 1957 recording for Prestige entitled Olio. Different sources credit this date to Thad Jones, while other releases assign no leadership, listing all the participants (Thad Jones, Frank Wess, Teddy Charles, Mal Waldron, Doug Watkins, Elvin Jones) as displayed on the cover. Checking out jazzdisco.org, this title along with 20 others is credited to The Prestige All Stars. Some of these albums bear the TPAS name on the cover or label, like Wheelin' & Dealin', All Day/Night Long, Earthy, etc., but others like Olio do not.

I'm curious as to how you might organize these titles in your collection. Would they be better placed under one artist's name, under various artists, or put them all together under TPAS as the Jazz Discography Project team does. I understand there's probably no definitive answer to this question, but I'm interested in others' opinions, especially the obsessive-compulsives among us. :P Thanks in advance.

Discogs has  this Item filed under the names on the front cover ---> starting with Thad Jones.

[r11366802]  LP title "Olio"

Edited by jazzcorner

On 2/17/2022 at 5:16 PM, mikeweil said:

This disc arrived here only today! For unknown reasons it was returned to the seller, so I ordered some more, and he included it in that package. Really a nice  album, but Rudy Van Gelder was a bit too generous with his reverb, for my taste.

An alternate take of I Wanna Blow, Blow, Blow can be found on the Jimmy Forrest Soul Street record, which is itself a compilation.

I got confirmation that it was a different take from Pepper Adams scholars Gary Carner and Frank Basile.

10 hours ago, bertrand said:

An alternate take of I Wanna Blow, Blow, Blow can be found on the Jimmy Forrest Soul Street record, which is itself a compilation.

I got confirmation that it was a different take from Pepper Adams scholars Gary Carner and Frank Basile.

Thanks! I suspected something like that. I wanted to compare the takes last week but it seems I did not keep that track when 

I sold the Jimmy Forrest CD. One of the cases when the OJC team did not do their homework.