Nightmares

Just woke up suddenly, barely half an hour ago — plus another half hour writing this all out on my phone — at the point in dream where I was suddenly realizing that 80-90% of my jazz and 20th century classical collection (all cd’s), was all gone.

For some reason a set of neighbors, a couple (two middle-age women) who were good friends that we’ve known for years — and oddly they were fictitious people in the dream, not actual neighbors or specific people we actually know — but an amalgam of the kinds of people good-hearted, decent people we’ve known and liked best over the years….

And somehow my wife and I, and this couple, all had legit access to another (third) empty neighboring apartment, which we collectively used as a place to hang out (more individually, than as a group), and for extra storage, etc…

So naturally, I moved all my jazz and 20th century classical cd’s over there, all my Mosaics too, since my wife has limited interest in listening to that stuff, and I had a nice bookshelf stereo over there, and it was my sort “music” man-cave.

So one day I discover some sort of group meeting in this extra apartment space, of maybe 20 people. Some sort of focus group, or Amway sales presentation, or who knows what the hell it was — but the audience was all random people, maybe a little on the “street-people” side of the continuum.

And when the meeting was over, I guess(?) everyone thought — what the heck are all these CD’s? Did someone just leave them all behind? (Did they just think it was an empty, abandoned apartment?) And I guess all my jazz books were over there too. And they all decided to take whatever they want, and then it was all gone. A random 10-20% was left over, but it was truly random, as if they’d had no idea whatsoever what any of it was, just stuff to try and — I don’t know — pawn?

Or whatever, but they were random people who knew nothing of the music, or of the last 30 years of time and effort it had taken me to assemble. And it was all gone, in 20 different unknown directions, picked over by people who weren’t grabbing for “the good stuff”, but just taking random handfuls for, who knows, just hoping they can get a dollar for each one somewhere.

And (in my dream) just as I was coming to terms with the realization of what had happened, that’s when I suddenly woke up, and it took me 10-15 seconds to realize the dream wasn’t real. None of my stuff was gone. It never happened.

In the dream it wasn’t a flood carrying everything away, or a fire. But just random strangers from some pyramid scheme sales pitch in-person meeting, taking nearly all my stuff entirely randomly, probably not seeing any of it having more value than pennies on the dollar for what I put into assembling it all.

I’m a little shocked how deeply this dream stabbed at me, and felt so real. I’ve had bad dreams before, maybe a handful a year at most, but NEVER, ever about stuff.

Sobering.  More than I care to admit.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I think(?) part of what really got to me in the dream, was that a bunch of random people just gettin’ by in the world (not necessarily ’bad’ people, but definitely “chaotic neutral” people if you know what I mean) who thought it was all discarded junk that nobody wanted and had just left behind, and maybe they could get $5 a handful for it somehow.

I don’t value any of it as ‘collectable’, and certainly not because it’s ‘collectable’— but I don’t have any of it backed up on hard drives, and my value of my collection is the music itself, which I experience by listening to it from the physical items themselves.

And it was all gone before I even knew what happened.

Edited by Rooster_Ties