BFT 212 is up

miles65

I have mostly positive feelings about #2, though I don't like the "squeaky" passage in the head.  The clarinet (Buddy DeFranco?) can really play.  Sonny Clark on piano?  

I like #5, though it is an older style of organ playing than I prefer, having more to do with the stops/sound than the style.

Track 7 is "In the Mood".  Glenn Miller version?   

#9 is by far my favorite cut.  Well done mainstream.

The rest really don't translate to my tastes (I am drawn to later styles), though many here will certainly appreciate them.

Going from this BFT to my December BFT is gonna cause whiplash!  My friend Dan Gould will much prefer this one!

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 6: Le Hot Club de France?

Track 9: "You and the Night and the Music"

Track 10: "Out of Nowhere"

6. Not Django that would be too easy.

9 & 10 Yes but who is playing?

8 minutes ago, felser said:

I have mostly positive feelings about #2, though I don't like the "squeaky" passage in the head.  The clarinet (Buddy DeFranco?) can really play.  Sonny Clark on piano?  

I like #5, though it is an older style of organ playing than I prefer, having more to do with the stops/sound than the style.

Track 7 is "In the Mood".  Glenn Miller version?   

#9 is by far my favorite cut.  Well done mainstream.

The rest really don't translate to my tastes (I am drawn to later styles), though many here will certainly appreciate them.

Going from this BFT to my December BFT is gonna cause whiplash!  My friend Dan Gould will much prefer this one!

# 2 Not Buddy nor Sonny

# 7Glenn Miller would be too easy.

Got a few minutes here, so...

TRACK ONE - No idea, but I like it. I should know the song? And is that two pianos? One playing the lead, the other the rhythm? Again, no idea but I like it.

TRACK TWO - I like this one too. Is it Brubeck & Bill Smith? Very nice non-bop modern. Nice composition, nice playing. Curious to find out who this is...might want to pick this one up. Clarinet solo is very deliberate and thoughtful, not at all licks or running the changes. Doesn't quite sound like Brubeck, though...so I am stumped. And am looking to get unstumped!

TRACK THREE - Did you play a 33 record at 45 for this? Sounds kinda hokey, like "hot music" for a stage show or something. Wait...that soprano....James Carter? I like him pretty well, but I haven't like all of his records....and this would be on that I don't much like. Fantastic playing, just don't like the vibe.

TRACK FOUR - sounds like a Duke thing, but with a different fell...that drumming...Definitely(?) a dance band, probably white (culturally, that is), but still pleasant enough to listen to, and., not a deep swing feel, but if it's comping from a place where that's not indigenous, I'd say they were doing it as best they knew. Always happy when that happens.

TRACK FIVE - Wow, that's about five alto stylings in one player...not sure if it makes me comfortable...oh, it's live, too. Who was in that room? They're just a little too on top of the beat for my liking, especially the altoist and the drummer. But the people they're playing for seem to be quite happy with what they're getting, so mission accomplished, right? Me personally, I hear a lot of pieces of speech/but and a little less coherency of syntax. But I'm not in the room, so kudos to those who were!

TRACK SIX - Ok, some of that. I'm neutral on so much of the Hot Club-esque musics...I get it, and I don't DISLIKE it by any stretch, but again, language...this is a different language than I readily respond to. Nothing wriong with that, of course, but as far as bonding with it...I can't. Now haing said that, I do like chugging rhytm guitar (and the guitar solo as well).

TRACK SEVEN - Oh my...."In The Mood", obviously, but...this isn't an American band, is it. It sounds like they're speaking phonetically...maybe the Major survived and swam to shore and this is the band he was able to get together. Anyway, it's a bit fascionating to hear this, it shows how much of a differnce there is in "natvie" vs "learned" language. And these people sound like they really WANT to learn this language, so kudos for that and for them...wherever they're located, I would hope that each generration got in there more deeply that he one before.

TRACK EIGHT - Same as Four and Seven. Wherever this band was, it's now safe to think of them as a "territory band", seeing as how jazz became an international music. And even if they don't "swing" like their model, imagine how liberating it was to even get a touch of that music compared to what their alternatives were. Swing is a liberational force.

TRACK NINE - "You And The Night And The Music", one of the great songs from that era. That's some thoughtful tenor playing! The whole thing is thoughtful, well-paced, actually speaking in a voice, creating rather than re-creating, that's what I'm talking about. Very nice!

TRACK TEN - "Out Of Nowhere"...no idea who it is, but of all the swing/dance bands on this collection, this is the one with the deepest pocket, perhaps not coincidentally the won with the least quick tempo. The extremes of tempos both fast and slow are where you tell who's got what. That trumpet, is that Harry James? Or somebody like him? The band sounds like it's coming out of that Goodman groove,so maybe it is?

This is a very nice collection with a definitely personal point of view. Nicely done!

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Got a few minutes here, so...

TRACK ONE - No idea, but I like it. I should know the song? And is that two pianos? One playing the lead, the other the rhythm? Again, no idea but I like it.

TRACK TWO - I like this one too. Is it Brubeck & Bill Smith? Very nice non-bop modern. Nice composition, nice playing. Curious to find out who this is...might want to pick this one up. Clarinet solo is very deliberate and thoughtful, not at all licks or running the changes. Doesn't quite sound like Brubeck, though...so I am stumped. And am looking to get unstumped!

TRACK THREE - Did you play a 33 record at 45 for this? Sounds kinda hokey, like "hot music" for a stage show or something. Wait...that soprano....James Carter? I like him pretty well, but I haven't like all of his records....and this would be on that I don't much like. Fantastic playing, just don't like the vibe.

TRACK FOUR - sounds like a Duke thing, but with a different fell...that drumming...Definitely(?) a dance band, probably white (culturally, that is), but still pleasant enough to listen to, and., not a deep swing feel, but if it's comping from a place where that's not indigenous, I'd say they were doing it as best they knew. Always happy when that happens.

TRACK FIVE - Wow, that's about five alto stylings in one player...not sure if it makes me comfortable...oh, it's live, too. Who was in that room? They're just a little too on top of the beat for my liking, especially the altoist and the drummer. But the people they're playing for seem to be quite happy with what they're getting, so mission accomplished, right? Me personally, I hear a lot of pieces of speech/but and a little less coherency of syntax. But I'm not in the room, so kudos to those who were!

TRACK SIX - Ok, some of that. I'm neutral on so much of the Hot Club-esque musics...I get it, and I don't DISLIKE it by any stretch, but again, language...this is a different language than I readily respond to. Nothing wriong with that, of course, but as far as bonding with it...I can't. Now haing said that, I do like chugging rhytm guitar (and the guitar solo as well).

TRACK SEVEN - Oh my...."In The Mood", obviously, but...this isn't an American band, is it. It sounds like they're speaking phonetically...maybe the Major survived and swam to shore and this is the band he was able to get together. Anyway, it's a bit fascionating to hear this, it shows how much of a differnce there is in "natvie" vs "learned" language. And these people sound like they really WANT to learn this language, so kudos for that and for them...wherever they're located, I would hope that each generration got in there more deeply that he one before.

TRACK EIGHT - Same as Four and Seven. Wherever this band was, it's now safe to think of them as a "territory band", seeing as how jazz became an international music. And even if they don't "swing" like their model, imagine how liberating it was to even get a touch of that music compared to what their alternatives were. Swing is a liberational force.

TRACK NINE - "You And The Night And The Music", one of the great songs from that era. That's some thoughtful tenor playing! The whole thing is thoughtful, well-paced, actually speaking in a voice, creating rather than re-creating, that's what I'm talking about. Very nice!

TRACK TEN - "Out Of Nowhere"...no idea who it is, but of all the swing/dance bands on this collection, this is the one with the deepest pocket, perhaps not coincidentally the won with the least quick tempo. The extremes of tempos both fast and slow are where you tell who's got what. That trumpet, is that Harry James? Or somebody like him? The band sounds like it's coming out of that Goodman groove,so maybe it is?

This is a very nice collection with a definitely personal point of view. Nicely done!

# 1 You could know the song. Wait till the reveal.

# 2 No Brubeck or Bill Smith

# 3 spot on

# 4 Right neighbourhood 

# 7 Good observations

# 10 again spot on

20 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Sorry, I was meaning #7. No Tex Beneke?

indeed no Tex. JSngry's observations are spot on.

1 hour ago, miles65 said:

Sounded so similar to Tex Beneke’s version.

Ok, now I got it:

https://youtu.be/CHMtpWg2XTc

This Vogue disc.

Excellent compilation, BTW. Right spot on my personal tastes. 👌👌👌
I will give it some additional spins, to see what else I can identify. 

Edited by EKE BBB

25 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

#6 --> tune is 'Swing 39'. Very similar to the classic Hot Club de France version. I will try to check out who's playing! 

Got it. It's 1.13 from this disc.

In this Fremeaux CD, it sounds pristinely clear, as compared to the other version I've listened to.

Edited by EKE BBB

1.  It’s hard for me to guess on stuff like this.  I seem to be hearing something by Ellington’s—maybe “Black Butterfly”—in there. 

2.  Some cool clarinet work...nice mix of the different registers. Rhythm section keeps it moving, but it sounds too basic.

3.  A frantic take on swing-type music.  It definitely sounds modern to my ears.  Could it be James Carter and “Chasin’ the Gypsy”?  

4.  Old time stuff…I really have no idea.

5.  Reminds me of Stanley Turrentine or Gene Ammons; at least someone in that vein.  Some grooving stuff, for sure.

6.  Old time Django style music.  Whoever this is owes a huge debt to Django.  

7.  Clearly “In the Mood.”  It sounds very close to the original. 

8.  This sounds like very early Ellington to my ears, but not at all a familiar piece. Pleasant enough, but not a masterpiece.

9.  Very nice version of “You and the Night and the Music.” I love the trumpet work.  I will be interested to know who this is—all the players.  

10.  I always think of “Out of Nowhere” as a Bird piece, but the roots are in swing.  It’s an enjoyable performance, but I wouldn’t hazard a guess on the orchestra.

-- 

Bottom line—a lot of stuff that sounds familiar, but they appear to be unusual takes that are not easily identifiable.

Edited by Milestones

The taste of tradition, with a healthy serving of the licorice stick
1. Earl Hines comes to mind for "trumpet style" piano
2. I'm thinking Buddy DeFranco, but can't rule Goodman out.
3. Clarinet goes way uptempo, with a fiddle too!  Maybe Joe Venuti, maybe Kenny Davern?
4. Torn between Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman here.  I have a vague memory that Shaw didn't make a lot of room for other soloists so I'll go with Goodman.
5. We have an organ tuned into earlier styles, but the track length suggests fifties or later, and it's live.  Milt Buckner?
6. Reinhardt and Grappelli?
7. Definitely In The Mood.  Because I like it, I'm guessing it's Cozy Cole's version and not Glenn Miller's.
8. I'm going with Count Basie, even though I barely hear any piano, because that insistent rhythm guitar is everywhere, and could easily be Freddie Green.
9. Tenor and fluegel quintet, or muted trumpet.  Tenor voted for Prez.  I fight hard against it, but if it's fluegel and sounds great I always think of Art Farmer. A more modern recording chosen well to blend with it's earlier neighbors.  
10. I'm guessing Duke Ellington, but not with much conviction.

1 - Reminds me of Bud but it's not him. 

2 - Great clarinet playing. No guesses. 

3 - Grapelli/Django inspired. Who else plays that fast? And it sounds like a more modern recording but I have no idea. Could very well be Grap/Django with other players. 

4 - More clari in a Goodman/Shaw type swing setting. Love the dirge-ish arrangement. 

5 - Epistrophe with a B3, oh and it's live with some good guitar as well. 

6 - Ok, so this really sounds like Grapelli & Django. Kind of...is that a banjo being strummed to comp, or another guitar? Sounds like it's a guitar. 

7 - The Charleston, and it sounds like the "definitive" arrangement. 

8 - Another clarinet - is it really Shaw this time?

9 - Love the reverb used here. Is this Hank on tenor?

10 - No guesses. 

On 2-11-2021 at 4:47 PM, Milestones said:

1.  It’s hard for me to guess on stuff like this.  I seem to be hearing something by Ellington’s—maybe “Black Butterfly”—in there. 

2.  Some cool clarinet work...nice mix of the different registers. Rhythm section keeps it moving, but it sounds too basic.

3.  A frantic take on swing-type music.  It definitely sounds modern to my ears.  Could it be James Carter and “Chasin’ the Gypsy”?  

4.  Old time stuff…I really have no idea.

5.  Reminds me of Stanley Turrentine or Gene Ammons; at least someone in that vein.  Some grooving stuff, for sure.

6.  Old time Django style music.  Whoever this is owes a huge debt to Django.  

7.  Clearly “In the Mood.”  It sounds very close to the original. 

8.  This sounds like very early Ellington to my ears, but not at all a familiar piece. Pleasant enough, but not a masterpiece.

9.  Very nice version of “You and the Night and the Music.” I love the trumpet work.  I will be interested to know who this is—all the players.  

10.  I always think of “Out of Nowhere” as a Bird piece, but the roots are in swing.  It’s an enjoyable performance, but I wouldn’t hazard a guess on the orchestra.

-- 

Bottom line—a lot of stuff that sounds familiar, but they appear to be unusual takes that are not easily identifiable.

3 spot on

8 in the right corner

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

1 - Reminds me of Bud but it's not him. 

2 - Great clarinet playing. No guesses. 

3 - Grapelli/Django inspired. Who else plays that fast? And it sounds like a more modern recording but I have no idea. Could very well be Grap/Django with other players. 

4 - More clari in a Goodman/Shaw type swing setting. Love the dirge-ish arrangement. 

5 - Epistrophe with a B3, oh and it's live with some good guitar as well. 

6 - Ok, so this really sounds like Grapelli & Django. Kind of...is that a banjo being strummed to comp, or another guitar? Sounds like it's a guitar. 

7 - The Charleston, and it sounds like the "definitive" arrangement. 

8 - Another clarinet - is it really Shaw this time?

9 - Love the reverb used here. Is this Hank on tenor?

10 - No guesses. 

6 close

On 2-11-2021 at 5:20 PM, randyhersom said:

The taste of tradition, with a healthy serving of the licorice stick
1. Earl Hines comes to mind for "trumpet style" piano
2. I'm thinking Buddy DeFranco, but can't rule Goodman out.
3. Clarinet goes way uptempo, with a fiddle too!  Maybe Joe Venuti, maybe Kenny Davern?
4. Torn between Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman here.  I have a vague memory that Shaw didn't make a lot of room for other soloists so I'll go with Goodman.
5. We have an organ tuned into earlier styles, but the track length suggests fifties or later, and it's live.  Milt Buckner?
6. Reinhardt and Grappelli?
7. Definitely In The Mood.  Because I like it, I'm guessing it's Cozy Cole's version and not Glenn Miller's.
8. I'm going with Count Basie, even though I barely hear any piano, because that insistent rhythm guitar is everywhere, and could easily be Freddie Green.
9. Tenor and fluegel quintet, or muted trumpet.  Tenor voted for Prez.  I fight hard against it, but if it's fluegel and sounds great I always think of Art Farmer. A more modern recording chosen well to blend with it's earlier neighbors.  
10. I'm guessing Duke Ellington, but not with much conviction.

6 in the right corner.

Edited by miles65
forgot something

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies in advance for somewhat terse commentary -- relegating to typing w/left-hand for the time being.  Also accounts for late showing and typos.

track 01 - no idea.  Tune sounds familiar, style does not.

track 02 - Has an odd feel to it.  Doesn't seem to quite swing, though it wants to.  Seems like a modern player than sound/style would lead one to believe.  Not Lemmie, but adjacent to his style.

track 03 - Recognize this.  James Carter from Chasin' The Gypsy.  Love James, but really he could forget who he is sometimes and just play.  That said, La Danierre Bergere on this album is epic.

track 04 - no idea.  Not my style.

track 05 - A little toomuch polish to my ear, bt still enjoy the general feel.  No guesses.

track 06 - Can only assume Django.  Don't really have the ear for this style.

track 07 - Not sure I' im the mood for this.  No guesses.

track 08 - Like the way the trumpets work against the arrangement.  No guesses.

track 09 - You and the night and the music.  I think I have this.  Hmmm... I do not have this. Feels European to me.

track 10 - Well, that came out of nowhere.  No guesses.