Bud Powell Lausanne 1962

Gheorghe

Hello Friends !

For some weeks I have listened more to 70´s jazz, like VSOP and some electric jazz, but yesterday I was in the mood to go all the way back to listen to that much praised recording of Bud in Switzerland.

Bud is really in top form. It´s interesting to compare those tracks with the tracks from Golden Circle only 2 months or so later on which Bud seems to have slowed down a bit. 

What may have been the reason ? The Rhythm section ? 

In Lausanne especially the bass player seems to have studied Bud´s Repertoire. He plays a more old fashioned style of bass of the 40´s like Tommy Potter or Curley Russell. 

The only weaker thing is "Evidence" since Bud doesn´t seem to know the rhythmic conception of that theme. 

I don't think it was primarily the rhythm section as Bud was still in great shape for the concert recorded the next day in Geneva with a different rhythm section. 

He had already cooled down by the time the recently released Copenhagen recordings were made in March, 1962.   

That is the way Bud seemed to be throughout his career - up and down.   What explains the sudden decline into 1954-1956 that was at least partially overcome by 1957?   

John

Edited by John L

On 2.11.2021 at 3:29 PM, John L said:

I don't think it was primarily the rhythm section as Bud was still in great shape for the concert recorded the next day in Geneva with a different rhythm section. 

He had already cooled down by the time the recently released Copenhagen recordings were made in March, 1962.   

That is the way Bud seemed to be throughout his career - up and down.   What explains the sudden decline into 1954-1956 that was at least partially overcome by 1957?   

John

You are right, it really is strange. 

Of course I also have the CD with the Geneva concert. 

And yes, Bud´s ups and down were during his whole career. At the end, like after his comeback to Birdland 1964 he could still play great , and in the next set he would play without inspiration. 

But one strange thing about the Swiss recordings is that sometimes it seems that Bud tends to give space for a bass solo, but after a few bars he forgets about it and plays solo himself again. 

On other occasions Bud really gives space for the fellow musicians, so it is more a group performance.

And one thing that I regret: In the 50´s Bud composed at least three great latin pieces "Un Poco Loco", "Buster Rides Again" and "Comin´ Up", but he never would perform them again. So this sets sometimes get monotonous, since it´s only swing, some medium tempo, some up tempo, and usually two ballads Round Midnight (always great !) and "I remember Clifford". It´s a pity that there never was something with latin touch also. Bud could have played very fine Dizzy´s "Manteca", "Tin Tin Deo" and "Con Alma". Actually, he played once "Tin Tin Deo" with Diz in Paris (with the Double Six). 

On 2.11.2021 at 3:29 PM, John L said:

Bud was still in great shape for the concert recorded the next day in Geneva with a different rhythm section. 

On the Geneva album there are two tracks Bud-Griffin added, which also appear on the Xanadu album Bud in Paris. 

I don´t know who invented that it was recorded in 1960, since Griff came to Europe three years later, and I´m sure it was done in february 64, when Bud could leave the sanatorium on weekends. Someone was not aware of the story of Griffin......, but they kept that 1960 as date of the recording for decades.....

I´m not a jazz historian, I´m an avid listender and a some time player, but it´s a fact that Griffin came to Europe later than Bud . 

By the way: Highly recommended for reading: Mike Hennesey "Little Giant"....

Discovered some interesting information on the Bud Powell - Lausanne 1962 recording.

The listing of the sidemen and the recording date on my CD is not correct.

According to the author of a Bud Powell Discography - Claude Schlouch -, he made a mistake in his early edition of the Discography regarding both sidemen and date.

Schlouch indicated that the actual sidemen were Bob Jacquillard (bass) and Mike Steven (drums).

Recording date is January 31,1962