Hank Mobley Quintet 1957

Larry Kart

Listening to this album for the first time in a good while walking on the local rec center's oval track, I was struck by in what fine form Art Farmer was on this date -- thoughtful and lucid as one might expect but also quite bold at times; his chops were in near "raise the rafters" shape that day. Great too to hear lots of horn-like Horace Silver solo work; and his e.s.p. comping behind Hank and Art goes without saying.

46 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

The Lord Disco lists Watkins for playing on 110 sessions from 1954 until 1962, when he was killed in an automobile accident. That's amazing for such a short career.

It's a big number to be sure, but context is worth noting:

In the same span of time, from 1954 to 1962, Paul Chambers played on 298 sessions. (P.C. appeared on "only" 56 more sessions before his death in 1969. Art Taylor played on 239 sessions between 1954 and 1962.

Not to trying to diminish Watkins or his gifts -- hey, Jazz from Detroit! -- but only to note that the top rhythm section players on the East Coast scene in that era, the first flush of 12-inch LPs, were making a LOT of recordings. High demand leads to big totals.  

Edited by Mark Stryker

12 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Not to trying to diminish Watkins or his gifts -- hey, Jazz from Detroit! -- but only to note that the top rhythm section players on the East Coast scene in that era, the first flush of 12-inch LPs, were making a LOT of recordings. High demand leads to big totals.  

Yes, of course, on all accounts.

I have all those Hank Mobley albums from 55-57 from BN as mini LP cardboard sleeve CDs. They are very fine, but my really favourit Mobley stuff is from the early 60´s for the much better sound of Mobley. I listended to all the BNs, but as older I get, I always get back spinning only some of them, my all time favourites.....