• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

He was a Yankee!

The Yankees seem to make an art form of retiring numbers. By contrast, the Cardinals have retired 14 or 15, a lot, but not as many as NY.  Those games tend to sell out, not that I’d suggest there’s any connection!

5 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

Just remember this is a Lockout not a strike. 

As I said previously, a gift from the owners to lock out when they did.

However, sans lock out, you telling me players wouldn't be out on strike right now, with that strike having started right before mandatory Spring Training report date? Then your pro-union mind is completely delusional.  I wish MLB had put out a statement that they are opening Spring Training camps and proceeding in anticipation of striking a deal before March 31 - then the players would have shown their true colors. 

And you wouldn't put out self-righteous idiocy like "remember this is a lockout not a strike."

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

As I said previously, a gift from the owners to lock out when they did.

However, sans lock out, you telling me players wouldn't be out on strike right now, with that strike having started right before mandatory Spring Training report date? Then your pro-union mind is completely delusional.  I wish MLB had put out a statement that they are opening Spring Training camps and proceeding in anticipation of striking a deal before March 31 - then the players would have shown their true colors. 

And you wouldn't put out self-righteous idiocy like "remember this is a lockout not a strike."

My intentions were never to make you this angry. My apologies. As I said previously I view workforce differently than product and you view them as the same thing. No need to attack me over differing views. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10028196-mlb-owners-only-have-themselves-to-blame-for-lockout-reaching-a-new-low-point

Edited by jcam_44

So another marathon session and another meeting later today.

Would love it if MLB responds to whatever PA counter-proposes by going backward on 2 or 3 of the things that they conceded ground on before.  Taste of their own damn medicine.

Edit to add:  Too bad they won't. But they should. 

Edited by Dan Gould

"Other elements of the deal include: postseason expansion to 12 teams; advertisements on player jerseys and helmets; a designated hitter in the National League; implementation of a draft lottery; and a 45-day window for MLB to make rule changes -- among them a pitch clock, larger bases and a ban on shifts in the 2023 season."

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/MLB/2022/03/10/MLB-team-owners-players-agree-labor-deal-clear-path-for-162-game-season-baseball/5841646945788/

13 hours ago, GA Russell said:

"Other elements of the deal include: postseason expansion to 12 teams; advertisements on player jerseys and helmets; a designated hitter in the National League; implementation of a draft lottery; and a 45-day window for MLB to make rule changes -- among them a pitch clock, larger bases and a ban on shifts in the 2023 season."

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/MLB/2022/03/10/MLB-team-owners-players-agree-labor-deal-clear-path-for-162-game-season-baseball/5841646945788/

Thanks for reminding me to check on that element of the deal that the PA refused to negotiate in good faith on - the bonus pool for pre-arb players. As far as I can tell, demands (in millions) went like this:

$115

$110

$120

final number $50 mil.

Turns out it never was that important but you wouldn't know it by how the PA behaved, until the very end. 

48 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Braves fans are not going to be happy about ownership being cheaper than Herman Lubinsky when it came to contract talks with Freddie Freeman.

He was the franchise…

Hmm.  As a fellow Braves fan, I have a different take.

The days of the Braves competing with clubs the Dodgers and Yankees in terms of spending are long gone.  We haven't been able to do that since Ted Turner sold the team.  I love Freeman, and I hate to see him go.  But if Freddie wants Yankees- or Dodgers-level money -- which is understandable; he deserves it -- then he's going to have to leave for one of those teams.

To be honest, I'm pleased Anthopoulos didn't sign Freddie for the huge money.   It would have tied the team's hands financially. ... I guess I trust Anthopoulos.  After all the masterful moves he's made over the last few years (and especially last year), I think he's earned it.  

Now, it's time for the young guys like Ozzie Albies and Ronald Acuña to step up and lead the team.  

My 2 cents. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Hmm.  As a fellow Braves fan, I have a different take.

The days of the Braves competing with clubs the Dodgers and Yankees in terms of spending are long gone.  We haven't been able to do that since Ted Turner sold the team.  I love Freeman, and I hate to see him go.  But if Freddie wants Yankees- or Dodgers-level money -- which is understandable; he deserves it -- then he's going to have to leave for one of those teams.

To be honest, I'm pleased Anthopoulos didn't sign Freddie for the huge money.   It would have tied the team's hands financially. ... I guess I trust Anthopoulos.  After all the masterful moves he's made over the last few years (and especially last year), I think he's earned it.  

Now, it's time for the young guys like Ozzie Albies and Ronald Acuña to step up and lead the team.  

My 2 cents. ;) 

As an A’s fan the lack of spending can be annoying. It ain’t my money I wish they’d spend money like the Yankees. 

10 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I definitely understand Braves fans’ attachment to Freddie Freeman—but at least you’re getting Matt Olson as a consolation prize.

A’s doing A’s things. 

On 3/14/2022 at 7:25 PM, ghost of miles said:

I definitely understand Braves fans’ attachment to Freddie Freeman—but at least you’re getting Matt Olson as a consolation prize.

This article shows how little respect the Braves gave to Freeman, they didn't even respond to the counteroffer made to their proposed contract at the end of the season. He put in too much time with them to be ignored like this, I hope he has a long productive career and makes them see the error of their decision. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/freddie-freeman-on-matt-olson-braves-trade?partnerId=zh-20220319-566205-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20220319-566205-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=tXQET7EeqwCfwKZSp1OXRYIdzmaqTlXmZE8E4AskLFLpEodbO4JM8pj38ZCQUmtc&bt_ts=1647694621177

• 1 month later...