Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ListeningToPrestige

Ahmed Abdul-Maiik

16 posts in this topic

Was Eastern Moods of Ahmed Abdul-Malik ever re-released on CD, as part of Original Classics or any other way?

There is apparently a bootleg CD edition, but nothing official. 

Jazz Sahara was part of the OJC series, and Jazz Sounds of Africa and The Music Of Ahmed Abdul-Malik were released on one of those later-era twofer CDs.

Great album indeed. There's a Doxy LP boot of it for sure. I have an original -- amazing music, my copy has some unfortunate pressing bumps but it plays through! It's very, very hard to find in decent condition.

Dusty Groove put out a CD of Spellbound, presumably licensed from Concord. I have the Status LP -- cool album, pressed like doo doo.

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find it on Spotify. Their search engine leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm amazed at how little information about Abdul-Malik there is online. Why did he stop recording?

Not sure why he stopped recording -- he did reappear in 1977 with Hamiet Bluiett on an interesting date for Chiaroscuro.

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Same here

Do we know if Eastern Moods has been reissued on LP or CD?

Posted (edited)

As LP on dodgy, bootleg label Doxy.  Even those are going for £50 these days. 

Discogs lists this CD issue which is both "unofficial" and listed as Prestige so that'll be a bootleg too

https://www.discogs.com/release/5308885-Ahmed-Abdul-Malik-The-Eastern-Moods-Of-Ahmed-Abdul-Malik

There is the option of the official LP, yours for only 900 euros ...

Edited by mjazzg

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

As LP on dodgy, bootleg label Doxy.  Even those are going for £50 these days. 

Discogs lists this CD issue which is both "unofficial" and listed as Prestige so that'll be a bootleg too

https://www.discogs.com/release/5308885-Ahmed-Abdul-Malik-The-Eastern-Moods-Of-Ahmed-Abdul-Malik

There is the option of the official LP, yours for only 900 euros ...

I have a Doxy LP of The Hustler by Thee Great Kenyon Hopkins, and the sound is great.  It is clearly not sourced from vinyl.  That said, I don't know what Doxy does for their other LPs, and I'm not about to find out for that amount of money.  But if my Doxy LP of The Hustler is truly a bootleg, then I'm OK with bootlegs.  And I paid less than ten bucks for it.

Edited by Teasing the Korean