A Love Supreme at Walmart

mjzee

• 2 months later...

Last month I saw about  thirty LPs for sale in a gadget store in Baltimore BWI Airport, pushed out to the front of the store, for pre-Christmas transit flyers. Popular old rock and modern pop titles - the Stones, Adele, etc. Don't remember the prices, but they were in the $25+ range.

I think the new Adele "30" album was the world bestseller on vinyl last year. It sold about 235000 copies worldwide. Second place went to Taylor Swift, with slightly fewer. It's pretty amazing, if you think of it.

Just yesterday, I saw the Target a couple blocks from us has a prominent display just inside the main entrance with books, music (LP’s) by Black authors and musicians — nearly all of them with people on the covers of the books and LP’s. And t-shirts, similarly themed (all with prominent individuals). Big banner over all of it — don’t think it said “Black Pride” or “Black Culture” — but something very similar.

A Love Supreme was practically front and center. Was disappointed I didn’t see any Miles LP’s. The Trane was the only jazz one. Still, nice to see!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

20 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Just yesterday, I saw the Target a couple blocks from us has a prominent display just inside the main entrance with books, music (LP’s) by Black authors and musicians — nearly all of them with people on the covers of the books and LP’s. And t-shirts, similarly themed (all with prominent individuals). Big banner over all of it — don’t think it said “Black Pride” or “Black Culture” — but something very similar.

A Love Supreme was practically front and center. Was disappointed I didn’t see any Miles LP’s. The Trane was the only jazz one. Still, nice to see!

Smart marketing! Martin Luther King Jr. Day is on Monday. Many people will have the day off, and will go shopping.

I hope someone in their teens will walk in there, buy the album, and put it on for the first time. What a thrill!