Stan Getz Must Be Turning Over In His Grave

Ken Dryden

Press release received today from Concord Records. Both Stan Getz and Carl Jefferson must be turning over in their graves.

Kenny G “Legacy [Feat. "The Sound” of Stan Getz]”

Impacting November 15

“Legacy featuring ‘The Sound’ of Stan Getz” was created to pay homage to one of the great masters of the saxophone, Stan Getz. Written with his sound in mind, using very advanced modern technology, we were able to sample notes to create this brand new melody never before played by Stan. To say I’m honored to duet with Stan Getz is an immense understatement. I hope people that have not heard Stan’s music before will be touched, as I have been, by the man who’s nickname is “The Sound''.”- Kenny G

World-renowned and Grammy-Award winning saxophonist Kenny G, will release his first new album in six-years titled New Standards. Out December 3rd through Concord Records. The 11-song collection of original compositions takes inspiration from the Jazz Ballads of the 50’s and 60’s. 

“For this album, I wanted to try to recreate those ‘sounds’ but do it my own way, which for me meant that I would have to compose the songs myself. So I set out to compose and perform songs that capture the ‘heart and soul’ of those beloved Jazz Standards and to record them “my way”. It was a wonderful (and painstaking) labor of love and I’m super proud of the end result.”

"Written with his sound in mind, using very advanced modern technology, we were able to sample notes to create this brand new melody never before played by Stan."

Does this really mean that they sampled Getz playing different notes and put them together into a new melody that the G-Spot composed?

What kind of new fresh hell is this?

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Press release received today from Concord Records. Both Stan Getz and Carl Jefferson must be turning over in their graves.

Impacting November 15

“Legacy featuring ‘The Sound’ of Stan Getz” was created to pay homage to one of the great masters of the saxophone, Stan Getz. Written with his sound in mind, using very advanced modern technology, we were able to sample notes to create this brand new melody never before played by Stan. To say I’m honored to duet with Stan Getz is an immense understatement. I hope people that have not heard Stan’s music before will be touched, as I have been, by the man who’s nickname is “The Sound''.”- Kenny G

World-renowned and Grammy-Award winning saxophonist Kenny G, will release his first new album in six-years titled New Standards. Out December 3rd through Concord Records. The 11-song collection of original compositions takes inspiration from the Jazz Ballads of the 50’s and 60’s. 

“For this album, I wanted to try to recreate those ‘sounds’ but do it my own way, which for me meant that I would have to compose the songs myself. So I set out to compose and perform songs that capture the ‘heart and soul’ of those beloved Jazz Standards and to record them “my way”. It was a wonderful (and painstaking) labor of love and I’m super proud of the end result.”

Apparently Mr. G. is also a functional illiterate [emphasis added].

the man who’s nickname is “The Sound''...WTF? :lol:

Face it - you could play this song with an average jazz band for a typical jazz audience and everybody would be all, hey, that's a pretty song!

And it is.

That's why pretty in and of itself is meaningless. Pretty is an adjective, not a noun. But most folks don't care about that 

But give it up to Concord. Life gives them lemmings and they make lemming-aid!

4 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

I’m not the target audience for this so it doesn’t effect me in anyway. I bet Stan would roll back over if he gets royalties off this release though. 

:lol:  ... or else spring right out!  

Re Zoot Sims' legendary "Stan's a nice bunch of guys" quip, think of the possibilities in our age of virtual replication... a whole gaggle of AI humanoid Stan Getzs. A veritable Four-Brothers-Of-Stan-Getz-Only! A 15-piece big band of Stan Getzs backing Kenny G on "The G From Ipanema."  An army of zombie-bot Stans who turn on their soprano-sax master and shuffle after him in pursuit, till he falls to his death from a high precipice as he tries to escape.

Or something like that. 

Damn, isn't it an April Fool joke?  I feel I'm doubly fooled.

Anywise, I believe that we'll soon observe a plethora of "new" recordings from dead masters thanks to shiny AI/machine learning technology.  I miss those days when Natalie & Nat King Cole duet was the thing.

I also should say that Kenny G (and his marketing team) is a kind of genius...not so many people can raise hell and grab attentions this way.

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

:lol:  ... or else spring right out!  

Re Zoot Sims' legendary "Stan's a nice bunch of guys" quip, think of the possibilities in our age of virtual replication... a whole gaggle of AI humanoid Stan Getzs. A veritable Four-Brothers-Of-Stan-Getz-Only! A 15-piece big band of Stan Getzs backing Kenny G on "The G From Ipanema."  An army of zombie-bot Stans who turn on their soprano-sax master and shuffle after him in pursuit, till he falls to his death from a high precipice as he tries to escape.

Or something like that. 

This is good. Looking forward to the press release.

I reviewed the hairdo artist’s classics in the key of g (lower case is deliberate) for allmusic.com, got paid, but it wasn’t published. Instead a glowing review from one of the editors appeared in its place, so I guess they couldn’t afford to offend the record label. It was that kind of crap and editors lowering star ratings on some reviews without consulting the writer that damaged their credibility for many of us freelancers. At least the money was good for a time, before the business was sold a second or third time.

22 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Impacting November 15

It’s annoying how it goes all out on Stan Getz’ nickname. 

28 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It’s annoying how it goes all out on Stan Getz’ nickname. 

Is this what they’re trying to reference with that “The Sound” business?

https://www.discogs.com/release/4111684-Stan-Getz-The-Sound

As if the title of one album — and a compilation at that (according to Discogs) — makes that some sort of nickname that Getz seemingly never had.

(At least that’s all I’m really getting from Goggle — searching on Getz’ name, and “the sound” in quotes as a literal search string.)

R-4111684-1357433691-2112.jpeg.jpg

I wasn't alive then, but...My take on the "narrative" of Stan Getz was that his "Early Autumn" solo with Herman "made him a star", in no small measure due to his, yes, sound. Just like they say here. That nickname stuck for a while, as I understand it. You'll see it references through the years, mostly on liner notes f4rom the early-mid 1950s.