Upcoming MOSAICS (resuming)

Though some of this upcoming releases have been discussed in previous threads, I thought it would be interesting to resume the up-to-date situation (according to Jazzmatazz):

Woody Herman - The Complete Columbia Recordings of WH and His Orchestra & Woodchoppers (1945-1947) - 7 CDs (Mosaic) May 15

— includes alternate takes and some previously unreleased material

Tal Farlow - The Complete Verve Tal Farlow Sessions - 7 CDs (Mosaic) June 30

Art Farmer/Benny Golson - The Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet Sessions - 7 CDs (Mosaic) Fall

— will include 12 LPs recorded from 1960-62:

— The Jazztet: "Meet the Jazztet", "Big City Sounds", "And John Lewis", "At Birdhouse", "Here and Now", "Another Git Together"

— Art Farmer: "Art", "Perception", "List to Art Farmer and the Orchestra"

— Benny Golson: "Turning Point", "Free", "Take a Number From 1 To 10"

Gerry Mulligan - Songbooks - 4 CDs (Mosaic Select) 2003? — remastered from rediscovered stereo tapes

— includes unissued "Stringtime" tracks

Freddie Slack - Mosaic Select - 3 CDs (Mosaic)

Benny Goodman - Columbia Records - n CDs (Mosaic) — time period TBD

McCoy Tyner - Blue Note Sessions (Mosaic) 2004

Dexter Gordon - Mosaic Select: Nights At the Keystone (Mosaic) late 2004

Various Artists - Capitol Big Band Sessions (Mosaic) (doubtful)

Erroll Garner - Columbia Sessions (Mosaic) (in doubt, due to licensing)

Various Artists - The Complete Keynote Recordings (Mosaic) (in doubt, due to licensing)

Edited by EKE BBB

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, I can't afford all this! :o Still can't believe the Herman set...and in less than two months! 7 cds for 3 years???? I wonder if that means some live tracks as well??? As for the Goodman....Does anyone know how many tracks he made while at Columbia? I'll get the Freddie Slack for sure....How will I ever be able to afford the Mildred Bailey, Roy Eldridge , Jack Teagarden ,Gene Krupa/Harry James,The Complete HRS Sessions, Louis Prima/Wingy Manone and Joe Venuti/Eddie Lang sets???? :( Well, I do have a game plan, come on Megamillions jackpot! :tup

p38422sgids.jpg

From AMG:

Freddie Slack was a part of two hit records during the swing era, making his mark on jazz history. Originally a drummer, he switched to piano soon after moving to Chicago in 1927. Slack worked early on with Johnny Tobin. After moving to Los Angeles in 1931, he appeared with bands led by Henry Halsted, Earl Burtnett, Archie Rosate and Lennie Hayton. Slack gained some recognition for his playing with Ben Pollack (1934-36) and Jimmy Dorsey (1936-39). As a key piano soloist with Will Bradley's Orchestra during 1939-41, Slack was well showcased on the famous recording of "Beat Me Daddy, Eight To The Bar" which helped launch the boogie-woogie fad. Slack was a key voice on many other Bradley recordings in the same vein; he also played quite effectively on some Big Joe Turner records. In 1942 Slack formed his own orchestra which soon scored with the very successful "Cow Cow Boogie" and "Strange Cargo." Freddie Slack's Orchestra initially featured singer Ella Mae Morse and for a short time it was one of the more popular swing big bands, appearing in several films and recording for Capitol during 1942-47. Freddie Slack was based in California in the 1950's and 60's but he faded from the spotlight with the end of the 1940's, recording a final small-group album for EmArcy in 1955.

I'm gonna be real broke. I have the Tyner stuff on CD's or LP's. Unless there is something else added that wasn't out there before, I'll pass on that one.

Gonna want the Dexter, Mulligan, Farlow, and Farmer/Golson.

I have to start buttering up the wife. :D "Your hair looks lovely." "Did you lose some weight?" :)

from a Mosaic email:

FUTURE RELEASES

We have started the year with four great releases in our Select series, Bob Brookmeyer, Bud Shank/Bob Cooper and the two new releases; Dizzy Reece and Dave Liebman & Richie Beirach. Our next three collections are boxed sets that have long been on our wish list at Mosaic Records. Later this spring, May/June, we will be releasing The Complete Columbia Recordings of Woody Herman and His Orchestra & Woodchoppers (1945-1947) (7 CDs) and The Complete Verve Tal Farlow Sessions (7 CDs). We have targeted August for the release of The Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet Sessions (7 CDs).

A real pity with the Garner material. I simply can't understand how such a stellar player can be treated in such a sad way by the music industry/the family estate. I have no idea who is doing what and why (or not and why not), but it's a sad thing to see that recordings by one of the most important American musicians of any time period are so damn hard to find or not even available.

Sucks! In a very major way!

This is a killer listing of upcoming sets. Mosaic isn't losing any momentum over time, not in the least!

ALSO: did anyone else see the other bit of FANTASTIC news in the latest Mosaic catalog? In Michael Cuscuna's little essay at the beginning of the catalog, where he talks about the Liebman/Beirach Select, he also mentions that the Blue Note recordings of the Don Pullen/George Adams band will be the subject of another Mosaic Select in the near future (later this year I believe)!

Having seen many here on the board, including myself, clamoring for a Mosaic covering their work, this announcement ought to generate some excitement! I only have had the good fortune to track down one of their Blue Note CDs, BREAKTHROUGH, and it is nothing less than great, has to be one of the finest jazz recordings of the era.

I am very pleased to see Mosaic experimenting with reissuing more 70's and even 80's stuff - yeah, they did it with the Woody Shaw and Phil Woods boxes, but that's only 2 over a period of many years, and now we're getting a couple of Selects dedicated to newer material in just the space of a year! BRING ON MORE (Arista/Freedom Braxtons, Horace Tapscott Nimbus recordings, anyone?)

Edited by DrJ

• 1 month later...

Art Farmer/Benny Golson - The Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet Sessions - 7 CDs (Mosaic) Fall

— will include 12 LPs recorded from 1960-62:

— The Jazztet: "Meet the Jazztet", "Big City Sounds", "And John Lewis", "At Birdhouse", "Here and Now", "Another Git Together"

— Art Farmer: "Art", "Perception", "List to Art Farmer and the Orchestra"

— Benny Golson: "Turning Point", "Free", "Take a Number From 1 To 10"

d76544qm6q8.jpg

I know it is a question of taste but from my point of view this is the most interesting set. I love the combination of Golsen & Farmer and they always sound better when Curtis Fuller joined them to the front line. I can promise you I'll be one of first to pre order this set and I have started already the count down...

The Jazztet really deserve a Mosaic set so thank you Mosaic for doing this historical justice.

Edited by B. Goren.

My name is Bill Byam,a new member. The Garner situation is sad indeed.Martha Glaser ,Errols former manager, has control used her veto power to sabotage a Mosaic box set issue.She has a bitter personal vendetta with Columbia executives

and in her mid-eighties has been victimized by senility. Classics will release the remaining Garner material over time .Look for a fall release of the solo recordings of Feb 1952. Hope this clarifies the matter.