A love supreme goes platinum after 56 years.

Hardbopjazz

A platinum record sells 1 million copies I believe. Took a while but all good things are worth waiting for.

JOHN COLTRANE 'A LOVE SUPREME' CERTIFIED PLATINUM

IN THE US!

John Coltrane’s ‘A Love Supreme’ has been certified Platinum in the US. After 56 years, one of the most celebrated and iconic records in jazz history goes platinum – John Coltrane’s first ever platinum record.

image linked to A Love Supreme: Live In Seattle
s.gif

A LOVE SUPREME - MASTERCUT

In celebration of John Coltrane’s ‘A Love Supreme’ going platinum, you can now get a special limited edition ‘A Love Supreme’ Mastercut. Each record is cut from the original analog source master, one by one, without any digital interference, compression or compromise onto the finest lacquer blanks from Japan. Get your unique, numbered custom package today – one of only 999 to be manufactured in the world, with 500 exclusive to the US.

"Each record is cut from the original analog source master, one by one, without any digital interference, compression or compromise onto the finest lacquer blanks from Japan." 

Do they claim that they played back the master tape 999 times? The tape that was lost in the 2008 fire...? 

According to Jazz Times it's one million copies in the US. It went "Gold" (500.000 copies) in 1970.

10 hours ago, Daniel A said:

According to Jazz Times it's one million copies in the US. It went "Gold" (500.000 copies) in 1970.

Thanks, Daniel!

I'm pretty sure that when I was in school, an LP gold record indicated 350,000 in sales.  The idea was $1 million, or $3.00 times 350,000.  Chuck would know.

This edition is apparently $550-600 each. Too much dead wax, maybe? (though hard to tell without a label on)

I still don't understand how these were made. Seems unlikely they would run "the original source master" (whatever that is) 999 times. 

Image-3_71c4a943-d85b-407e-bc19-8778da6c

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

Or Getz/Gilberto? 

FWIW, they are also making 999 copies of Getz/Gilberto, allegedly engraved one by one directly from the master tape... 

I checked in my 2002 edition of Whitburn's Top Pop Albums 1955-2001. The only jazz album that had been on the pop charts (A love supreme never got on any other than the Catalogue chart - and then only in Feb 2001!!!! ) that was certified platinum by RIAA at the time of publication was Dave Brubeck's 'Time out'.

One has to assume that Universal don't count any Columbia record as real jazz  :D

Of course, some albums that weren't platinum in 2002 may be now, but it's a bloody long way to a million and not all the big jazz hits got half a million in sales. Ahmad Jamal's 'But not for me/Live at the Pershing', which was on the rather shorter pop charts from Sep 1958, got to #3 and stayed in the chart for just over 2 years. And that got bugger all in RIAA awards (though that may have been down to Leonard Chess not registering- Motown didn't until the seventies sometime. And Ramsey Lewis didn't get one for the 'In crowd' which sold big in R&B market's as well as in pop).

The only other jazz album from around those days that got a platinum award was 'Kind of blue', which was on the catalogue chart for two and a half years in the nineties. That, too, was never a pop hit. Nor was 'Sketches of Spain' only the catalogue chart for one week (which MAY be the last week reported in Whitburn - it's the same week as 'A love supreme'). That got a gold.

Oh, the Catalogue chart was created to get rid of the rock albums that were staying on the top 200 for too many years to stop the whole thing getting boring. An album qualified if it was selling enough to make the top 200, and had been on that chart for two years but had fallen below #100, or was a reissue. 

MG