Weather Report Live In Tokyo

Tom 1960

I have heard great things about this album.  I see Wounded Bird reissued this album several years ago. It appears however it was not remastered.  I also see a Sony Japanese issue which has been remastered. I guess the question is this. Would it be worth spending some extra money on getting the Japanese issue versus the Wounded Bird issue?  Does it really matter? i probably already know the answer to this but I would like to hear from people in the know that are more familiar with this album. Thoughts are much appreciated.

Edited by Tom 1960

I can't advise on the audio stuff, I've always had it as Japanese product, but the music is exceptional - if you are inclined to liking it. Me, I love it. But some might find a bit (or more) loud and aggressive. Because it is! But this was the band to do that!

Side two of I Sing The Body Electric is a condensed/edited version of the same gig, so if you like that, hey, dive in!

I love this two album set, splurged on it when it was a new Japanese issue, and have had several digital versions. The music is worth having, indeed. And will probably be fine in any of the options. My one caveat is. . .Wounded Bird sometimes gets lackluster transfers and their discs have sound often foundbetter elsewhere. I have not heard the Wounded Bird version.

50 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I love this two album set, splurged on it when it was a new Japanese issue, and have had several digital versions. The music is worth having, indeed. And will probably be fine in any of the options. My one caveat is. . .Wounded Bird sometimes gets lackluster transfers and their discs have sound often foundbetter elsewhere. I have not heard the Wounded Bird version.

What he said!

I had the Wounded Bird reissue and then I gave it to a friend when I got the The Columbia Albums 1971-1975 set.  ... I guess I'm not enough of an audiophile to have noticed much of a difference.

In any case, like others have said, I would DEFINITELY recommend hearing it -- in one form or another.

Here's a brief write-up on Live in Tokyo from my 70s jazzblog.  

The music is awesome and essential listening.  The studio recordings from this period are great too but give little to no hint of how intense this band could be.

Also - while I’ve (not totally successfully) tried to get my hands on every live recording of WR from 1971 through 1974, this one has a pretty unique sound - different from the 1971 concerts or the ones later in 1972

I have the Wounded Bird edition, too. Yes, aggressive, but that's the way they were in the beginning. I enjoy all their pre-Jaco albums.

BTW, I saw them about a year after this show at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go in Hollywood, of all places! Mahavishnu Orch there around the same time, too! :o