Music Choices Influenced by the Seasons?

56 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Curious if anyone's musical choices are influenced by the seasons.  Mine definitely are, although I can listen to jazz pretty much any time of year.  

I tend to like singers and standards this time of year for some reason.  

I definitely listen to less non-jazz music this time of year, and yes, it's also when I break out more mainstream & vocal fare as well as early jazz. 

26 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

My wife is 5/8ths Swedish (her dad is 3/4ths).

Failing at the math right now...how do you get to 5/8 from 3/4?...6/8 * x = 5/8?

x = 0.83333? Her mom is 5/6 Sweedish? Is that right?

Hey, I'm adopted. This ancestry stuff never has taken root with me....

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Yes.  During the summer I listen to bossa nova, surf guitar and surfing music.

When the weather turns cooler (after Labor Day), I put away all that sand-between-my-toes music, and pull out the indoor and city sidewalk-type music.

Interesting.  In the summer, I listen to Afro-Cuban jazz and exotica.

But Bossa strikes me as winter music, perhaps because of its inherent sadness.  I listen to Bossa generally between January and March. 

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Failing at the math right now...how do you get to 5/8 from 3/4?...6/8 * x = 5/8?

x = 0.83333? Her mom is 5/6 Sweedish? Is that right?

Hey, I'm adopted. This ancestry stuff never has taken root with me....

I think I meant to say her dad is 3/4ths Swedish, and that she’s 3/8ths (not 5/8ths) — but I just double checked with her a little while ago, and some of that is Norwegian too — but still more Swedish than Norwegian.

At home:

Spring and Fall = lot of music

Winter time =  much more DVDs, much less music (cold and stuff)

Summer = not at home

At work:

Automn semester = office time = 15+ cds per week

Spring semester = teaching time = no music.

No season pattern regarding the type of music, just maybe a daily pattern, no reeds/trumpet past 11pm.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:48 AM, Rabshakeh said:

I tend to go anti-seasonal. Miserable rainsoaked weather calls for a Jobim treatment.

But that is appropriate.  Bossa is inherently sad music. 

Right after January 1, I tend to listen to Moog and electronic music, because it conveys a bright, shiny future.

Around February, I break out Scott Walker's first five albums.  They are perfect for that time of year, bringing to mind bleak landscapes.  

17 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Around February, I break out Scott Walker's first five albums.  They are perfect for that time of year, bringing to mind bleak landscapes.  

Yes, absolutely but I hope you listen to something else in the month too. Too much undiluted Scott might be too much.

I mentioned Scandinavian folk and classical music above (around Christmas), but that’s definitely a “winter” thing too — with the start of December, there’s just a lot of synergy between music of the north, and winter — including Björk and The Sugarcubes too (being Icelandic and all).

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

However, best Spring car music when leaving for a gig in the sunny early afternoon - Sly & The Family Stone's Greatest Hits.

It is indeed great spring car music!

Every Thanksgiving, for some reason, I listen to Nina Simone.

And after Thanksgiving, I love listening to my beloved uptempo pizzicato string production music!