John Coltrane: Expression

Late

On 11/15/2021 at 8:49 PM, colinmce said:

John Coltrane Quintet

John Coltrane, tenor sax; Alice Coltrane, piano; Jimmy Garrison, bass; Rashied Ali, drums; Marion Brown, bells.

Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 27, 1967

90774 E Minor Impulse! lost
90775 Half Steps -

John Coltrane Quartet

John Coltrane, tenor sax; Alice Coltrane, piano; Jimmy Garrison, bass; Rashied Ali, drums.

Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, March 29, 1967

90784 Number Eight Impulse! lost
90785 Number Seven -
90786 Number Six -
90787 Number Five -
90788 Number Four -
90789 Number Two -

John Coltrane Sextet

Pharoah Sanders, alto sax; John Coltrane, tenor sax; Alice Coltrane, piano; Jimmy Garrison, bass; Rashied Ali, drums; Algie DeWitt, bata drum.

Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 17, 1967

90790 None Other Impulse! lost
90791 Kaleidoscope (mistitled as Collidoscope) -

Yes, those are the ones I was referring to. Are they presumed lost in the Universal fire? Could Ravi have copies?

On 11/15/2021 at 11:49 AM, colinmce said:

John Coltrane Quintet

John Coltrane, tenor sax; Alice Coltrane, piano; Jimmy Garrison, bass; Rashied Ali, drums; Marion Brown, bells.

Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 27, 1967

90774 E Minor Impulse! lost
90775 Half Steps -

John Coltrane Quartet

John Coltrane, tenor sax; Alice Coltrane, piano; Jimmy Garrison, bass; Rashied Ali, drums.

Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, March 29, 1967

90784 Number Eight Impulse! lost
90785 Number Seven -
90786 Number Six -
90787 Number Five -
90788 Number Four -
90789 Number Two -

John Coltrane Sextet

Pharoah Sanders, alto sax; John Coltrane, tenor sax; Alice Coltrane, piano; Jimmy Garrison, bass; Rashied Ali, drums; Algie DeWitt, bata drum.

Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 17, 1967

90790 None Other Impulse! lost
90791 Kaleidoscope (mistitled as Collidoscope) -

I emailed Michael Cuscuna about these very sessions, and he wrote back saying that they were indeed lost, one of the "greatest tragedies" (his words) in American music. But wouldn't it be something if dubs were made, and (somehow) Ravi had copies. Unlikely, but you never know.

I always thought that John Coltrane's trajectory would not be dissimilar from Alice's. I think his spiritual sense would only have intensified, and as a result be reflected in the music. 

Maybe after more explorations in Free Jazz and more world music explorations with a lot of exotic instruments and maybe some electric, Trane would have returned at some point to a series of traditional acoustic quartet setting, maybe regathering Elvin and McCoy and after Garrisons´ death Reggie Workman or so on bass. Very good paid reunions for special occasions, maybe some guest appearences with Miles, especially on events like the 1991 gathering of old colleages in Paris....., and maybe some last album of moving ballads, before retirement due to age and loss of breath like Sonny Rollins, with tons of honour degrees and so on. 
Considering that Trane stopped drugs in the second half of the 50´s and being completly dedicated to music, he really would have deserved to live long like Sonny, who was in the same situation......

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Maybe after more explorations in Free Jazz and more world music explorations with a lot of exotic instruments and maybe some electric, Trane would have returned at some point to a series of traditional acoustic quartet setting...

Trying to imagine his CTI albums and maybe even his disco album.  

Has anyone ever confirmed that these unreleased Coltrane masters still existed just prior to the Universal fire?  I ask because MCA was pretty ruthless about trashing tapes that they acquired from other labels.  I know that in the 70s, when they acquired Decca, ABC, and others, they trashed multi-tracks, session reels, and mono album masters, and retained only stereo album masters.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

9 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Has anyone ever confirmed that these unreleased Coltrane masters still existed just prior to the Universal fire?  I ask because MCA was pretty ruthless about trashing tapes then they acquired other labels.  I know that in the 70s, when they acquired Decca, ABC, and others, they trashed multi-tracks and mono album masters, and retained only stereo album masters.  

I am not sure, but I recall hearing even before the Universal Fire that there was no known unreleased Coltrane left in the Impulse! vaults.   Coltrane kept a lot of tapes at home, which has been the source of most subsequent releases of previously unreleased Impulse! material.   

1 minute ago, John L said:

I am not sure, but I recall hearing even before the Universal Fire that there was no known unreleased Coltrane left in the Impulse! vaults.   Coltrane kept a lot of tapes at home, which has been the source of most subsequent releases of previously unreleased Impulse! material.   

Yes, but these would have been 7.5 ips mono dubs, correct?  Good enough to release, but not up to studio master tape quality.

• 2 weeks later...