"Misty" - WHY?

Dan Gould

I didn't check earlier, but that video runs at the correct speed (unlike the other copies that I have heard) and is actually in Eb.

I don't understand the problem with Ben's solo. The only shake I heard is on the tenor's C and it isn't hard to do that. If it were an altissimo figure, with its awkward cross-fingerings, then yes, a shake might be difficult, but Ben plays within the standard range. If I recall correctly, the highest note is the tenor's palm key D.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a problem, it's a question, but as it turns out, one I'm asking due to my faulty memory/reflex placing that note in an incorrect harmonic context.

It IS a tenor Bb, but it's serving as a 4th in Eb (concert), not a minor third. It's at 1:17 in the usual clip. My style was always to use that note as either a flatted 3rd or a flatted 7th, but obviously Ben Webster speaks that vernacular far more fluently than I could ever imagine doing myself.

So yes - my note is correct, your key is correct, and Ben, as always, is beyond reproach.

And the question of how to do it to a tenor Ab is moot, because the answer is, you don't! :g

Too bad he got followed up by Pres, with one of the most transcendent 12 bars of the 20th Century.

On 11/20/2021 at 0:46 AM, Brad said:

i-hp7wFmw-M.jpg

Misty is like Laura from the 40s-50s

The 45 rpm single/radio edit was much shorter -- just one chorus of swinging melody, plus the tag from the out chorus. This was on a jukebox at a place in Urbana where I used to hang out in college and we played it to death. One night, we cued it up about a dozen times in a row and after after eight or nine straight plays, the manager came roaring out of the kitchen and yelled, "Enough!!!" and unplugged the jukebox. 

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

The 45 rpm single/radio edit was much shorter -- just one chorus of swinging melody, plus the tag from the out chorus. This was on a jukebox at a place in Urbana where I used to hang out in college and we played it to death. One night, we cued it up about a dozen times in a row and after after eight or nine straight plays, the manager came roaring out of the kitchen and yelled, "Enough!!!" and unplugged the jukebox. 

Eight or nine times is a lot.