RIP Slide Hampton.

Hardbopjazz

I don’t particularly doubt the news, but I’ve looked for some sort of an obit and perhaps some confirmation. Virtually nothing out there, at least that my Google skills can come up with.  Really just this — from Get India News(!) — only posted 4 hours ago…

https://getindianews.com/who-was-slide-hampton-and-what-was-his-cause-of-death-american-jazz-trombonist-died-at-89/

Sad news but a good long life. Hope that the NY based tribute Octet keeps playing his arrangements and keeping  this music alive.

Saw him just the once - not playing but conducting an all-star orchestra in Rotterdam. Class act and a great trombonist and arranger. The session he did on MPS with Dexter Gordon is particularly good.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Sad news.

Saw him in Manchester in 1984 in a band with the interesting lineup of Johnny Griffin, Jimmy Deuchar, Dave Cliff, Peter Ind and Al Levitt.

I’ll have to check the Manchester Jazz Bible to see if that one is mentioned.

Edited by sidewinder

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Sad news but a good long life. Hope that the NY based tribute Octet keeps playing his arrangements and keeping  this music alive.

Saw him just the once - not playing but conducting an all-star orchestra in Rotterdam. Class act and a great trombonist and arranger. The session he did on MPS with Dexter Gordon is particularly good.

I’ll have to check the Manchester Jazz Bible to see if that one is mentioned.

It was in post-Free Trade Hall days and a bit late for Bill Birch. The venue was the Royal Exchange Theatre. Theatre in the round was never better! I recall Deuchar looking astounded at Griffin's torrent of notes! :crazy:

7 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I don’t particularly doubt the news, but I’ve looked for some sort of an obit and perhaps some confirmation. Virtually nothing out there, at least that my Google skills can come up with.  Really just this — from Get India News(!) — only posted 4 hours ago…

https://getindianews.com/who-was-slide-hampton-and-what-was-his-cause-of-death-american-jazz-trombonist-died-at-89/

This seems to still be the only link I can find online, which I find kind of surprising. Maybe he wasn’t a household name, but he certainly was known pretty well among jazz fans, I would think?

Also, just looking at that “article” again, how in the heck did Slide amass such an incredible fortune as a jazz trombonist??!!

Quoting directly from the article…

Slide Hampton Net Worth

The net worth of Slide Hampton has been reported to be approximately $10 Million, he is a well-known musician, he must have amassed a sizable fortune throughout his life, working with numerous bands…

30 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Slide Hampton Net Worth

The net worth of Slide Hampton has been reported to be approximately $10 Million, he is a well-known musician, he must have amassed a sizable fortune throughout his life, working with numerous bands…

Yes, and Tubby Hayes left a billion, I suppose. 

Try pulling the other one!

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

This seems to still be the only link I can find online, which I find kind of surprising. Maybe he wasn’t a household name, but he certainly was known pretty well among jazz fans, I would think?

Also, just looking at that “article” again, how in the heck did Slide amass such an incredible fortune as a jazz trombonist??!!

Quoting directly from the article…

Slide Hampton Net Worth

those celebritynetworth clickbait sites are usually not accurate.

2 hours ago, RogerF said:

Slide Hampton recorded one of my all time favourite albums: Slide Hampton & Vaclav Zahradnik Big Band : B&S. Released in 1971 it also features The Trio (Surman, Phillips, Martin)! RIP Slide and thank you for that.

Slide Hampton_Rsd.jpg

That does look interesting not least for The Trio's involvement