Is this really the first designed record cover?

Hardbopjazz

Hbj - I'd be interested to know if that was.  Just curious: Where did you find this image?

Also, where the image above says "record cover," does it mean a cover for a single 78 rpm disc?  Or are we talking about the cover of an album of 78 rpm discs?

Because I'd imagine that the date for those two things might be different. 

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Hbj - I'd be interested to know if that was.  Just curious: Where did you find this image?

Also, where the image above says "record cover," does it mean a cover for a single 78 rpm disc?  Or are we talking about the cover of an album of 78 rpm discs?

That iconic cover was for an album of four 78 rpm discs.

https://www.discogs.com/es/release/5880723-Rodgers-Hart-Smash-Hits-By-Rodgers-Hart

14 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

That iconic cover was for an album of four 78 rpm discs.

https://www.discogs.com/es/release/5880723-Rodgers-Hart-Smash-Hits-By-Rodgers-Hart

Thanks for the info, EKE BBB.

It's amazing that the first album with an image on the cover wasn't released until 1940 (per Discogs).  I assumed that albums with picture covers existed well before then.

By 1940, how long had 78 rpm albums existed -- multi-disc sets, whether classical, jazz, pop, or whatever? 

My assumption is that the first album was classical music -- either a single (but whole) movement or an entire multi-movement work (such as a symphony).  But that's just a guess.

3 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I have a Taschen book on Steinweiss, where I think this cover appears.

Cool!

This one?

41g0nRd2ACL._SX375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I think I might need to order that!  ;)

Edited by HutchFan

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I was perusing some Facebook group on album covers. This was cited as being the first album that contained artwork.