Four Generations of Miles

Gheorghe

I got this two years ago for father´s day , from my wife. 

Really a nice album. Everybody is playing great here. 

I´ve read somewhere that George Coleman didn´t feel too comfortable with the lack of a piano and Mike Stern instead of it, but I liked Mike Stern from first listening when he was with Miles in 1981-early 1983. He could play heavy rock, really bluesy stuff and straight ahead jazz. And his special sound and aproach of chords. Unique. 

The material of the album could have been a bit more into the time after the 50´s . So, only the tune "81" is from the mid sixties, the rest is late fifties, but played really great. I like Mike Sterns into on Blue in Green. 

George Coleman is great as ever, and I would have liked to hear a bit more drum solos of Jimmy Cobb. He is great on a  quite short drum solo torward the end. 

The only thing that somehow surprised me was the sound of Ron. I was a great fan of Ron´s bass, but haven´t heard so much of him after the early 80´s. Maybe I´m too used to the 70´s sound, but here it´s sometimes hard to HEAR the bass, at least for me. He plays great and has great solos, but it sounds underrecorded to me, and more like an older style acoustic bass. 

But in general something very very nice to listen to, not very demanding, but nice after a day of hard work. 

Herunterladen (2).jpg

I was aware of this album for a long time and finally downloaded a version a couple of years ago.  I was intrigued by the presence of Stern in this otherwise very straightforward group.  It's a good record, though the tunes are a bit over-familiar.  I was hoping to enjoy it more, but there is quality stuff here.  I will be spinning it again.

As for Ron Carter, you may want to  check out his quite recent records with the group Foursight.  The band features Jimmy Greene and Renee Rosnes, and Carter is in vintage form.

Edited by Milestones

10 hours ago, Milestones said:

I was aware of this album for a long time and finally downloaded a version a couple of years ago.  I was intrigued by the presence of Stern in this otherwise very straightforward group.  It's a good record, though the tunes are a bit over-familiar.  I was hoping to enjoy it more, but there is quality stuff here.  I will be spinning it again.

As for Ron Carter, you may want to  check out his quite recent records with the group Foursight.  The band features Jimmy Greene and Renee Rosnes, and Carter is in vintage form.

Your are right ! That was also my problem, that the tunes are a bit over-familiar. Thanks for helping me to find the right expression. 

And, about "4 Generations", I didn´t really understand how it was meant. 

4 Generations might mean, Jimmy Cobb from the late 50´s style, and Mike Sterne from the 80´s style. But both Coleman and Ron are from the 60´s style. 

So , if I want 4 generations, I might place one from the 50´s, one from the 60´s , one from the 70´s and one from the 80´s. 
So I could say, Cobb, Carter, LIEBMAN (from the 70´s), and Stern from the 80´s. 
Or, Cobb, Coleman, and for  the missing 70´s maybe Mike Henderson on bass, and Stern. 

And same about the birthdates: Cobb was born in the late 20´s, but both Coleman and Ron in the 30´s and Mike Stern in the 50´s. So there might have been also a player born in the 40´s (Liebman for example). 

As for Carter: I could have seen and heard him here in Vienna on september 19th, but that was our 25th wedding anniversary. And even if I would have gone with my wife (who also would have gone with me to Liebman-Beirach), due the covid she was afraid of too many people at one place. Liebman in march 20 was chancelled due to covic, Ron was not possible....
And yeah, Carter is also in great form on 4 generations, but he´s not easy to hear...