Dizzy Gillespie Complete RCA

Gheorghe

During the last weeks I have listened to more modern material , but yesterday I went back into the past.
My start with Bop was quite an unorthodox way to get into it: 
At the very beginning of my love for jazz I had the Mingus Paris album (3 LPs) with Dolphy and with the tune "Parkeriana". 
"Parkeriana" led me to listen to Bird, Diz and all of them. 

And so, some of my first bop albums during that time where the then availaible LPs of Diz and Bird. 

This here is a really nice collection of Diz from early stuff to the best period of the Big Band with Chano, James Moody, Cecil Payne, John Lewis and all . 

From the older material I liked most "King Porter Stomp" since I had heard the tune played by the Sun Ra Orchestra once and the joint was jumpin´.....

The small group recordings are very fine, especially with Don Byas and Milt Jackson. Don Byas was so ahead of his time, it´s fantastic what he does here. 

The Drummer J.C. Heard ........ In 1983 he was again with Dizzy, what a reunion for a great Diz Concert  with fantastic young players like Ed Cherry and Mike Howell....

Al Haig later became a great bop player, I love his playing from the late 40´s with Fats, with Stan Getz, with Wardell Gray. But in 1945/46 he still sounded very very stiff, a bit like a less dissonant version of Sadik Hakim. It´s still too edgy, it doesn´t really flow like the lines of Diz, Bird, Bud.....and of course the Al Haig 3 years later when he had learned his lessons and had it all.....

The Big Band is fantastic, those great versions of Manteca, Cubana Be Cubana Bop, Algo Buena, Two Bass Hit etc. .... and "Ow" which I first had heard in the Mingus-Setting from 1964 that led me to bop.....

The 2nd CD has mostly the material of Bop with Vocals, like Johnny Hartman´s wonderful voice, the fun of "Hey Pete, let´s get some meat" and "Land of Oo bla Dee".....

And the last tracks are the Metronome All Stars with most of the best bop artists plus Lennie Tristano, just a dream band..... Dizzy Miles Fats all on trumpet, J.J. and Kai ....... Lennie ......incredible ! 

Herunterladen (1).jpg

A favorite! In high school I had a cassette dub of a collection called "Dizziest" which I believe overlaps a fair amount with this. After just a few listens, "In the Land of Oo-Bla-Dee" makes me think of Dizzy reading a picture book to young children (...beret optional...). Or a retirement celebration in which attendees take turns vocalizing over "Oop-Pop-A-Da". This CD incarnation gets pulled out a fair amount. Fun to sing along to while driving.

21 hours ago, Patrick said:

A favorite! In high school I had a cassette dub of a collection called "Dizziest" which I believe overlaps a fair amount with this. After just a few listens, "In the Land of Oo-Bla-Dee" makes me think of Dizzy reading a picture book to young children (...beret optional...). Or a retirement celebration in which attendees take turns vocalizing over "Oop-Pop-A-Da". This CD incarnation gets pulled out a fair amount. Fun to sing along to while driving.

I had the same impression "picture book to young children" :lol:

And yeah, singing along, while driving. I listen to music if I have a longer trip and am really relaxed, mostly after returning home from a day of fishing .....

In my high-school time another guy also shared my (live long) passions for jazz and..... fishing...., and besides the Dizzy vocals we dug those Kenny Haggod vocals, usually on airshots of bop groups, like Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro at the Roost, his slightly doggish voice on "Pennies from Heaven" and "Kitchenette across the Hall". 
And his great rendition of  Dizzy´s "I´m waiting for you" on the famous bop film. 

I think it wouldn´t happen too often that two teenage boys are sitting in the boat , casting lures or flies and singing bop vocals and having a ball. This was in summer vacation and we also had a record player and boxes with us and after the daily roasted chicken with french fries we went back to our place and spinned all those records until very late in the night, and a lot of beer and cheap cigarettes, and at 5 o clock gettin up, going to the lake, .......and the same routine for 2 weeks......