“Mosaic On The Move: A Great Jazz Label Gets Smaller, Smarter”

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I thought he lurked here, and posted once or twice...my mistake.

After seeing your post, I wrote to MC. He responded and said that Images is being sold to UMG and that he will continue with Mosaic as before.

Since UMG owns BN, purchasing the image company makes sense, for them. 

54 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

Appears most images are unavailable now. The gelatin prints are gone. 

Some are still available, but I bet not for long. I bought a couple. They only have had one or two silver gelatin prints of each. For instance, I bought Ornette on violin, and Clifford Brown with Jimmy Heath, and they are now marked as SOLD OUT. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

After seeing your post, I wrote to MC. He responded and said that Images is being sold to UMG and that he will continue with Mosaic as before.

Since UMG owns BN, purchasing the image company makes sense, for them. 

I called Mosaic, and exchanged emails with M.C. The silver gelatin prints won't be available after these are gone. The ones they still have are 1994-1995 darkroom prints.

The contact sheets are amazing, and are an intimate look into Wolff's process, but I didn't buy one. Maybe I should. $500 is steep, but they are unique. I doubt they'll be available again.

47 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Some are still available, but I bet not for long. I bought a couple. They only have had one or two silver gelatin prints of each. For instance, I bought Ornette on violin, and Clifford Brown with Jimmy Heath, and they are now marked as SOLD OUT. 

I called Mosaic, and exchanged emails with M.C. The silver gelatin prints won't be available after these are gone. The ones they still have are 1994-1995 darkroom prints.

The contact sheets are amazing, and are an intimate look into Wolff's process, but I didn't buy one. Maybe I should. $500 is steep, but they are unique. I doubt they'll be available again.

Thanks! The images I got aren’t there anymore. The site is a bit archaic. I was finding everything under the sale link but they aren’t there anymore. I sprung from the large Kenny Dorham Una Mas contact sheet after hearing UMG will be the new owner. Probably the last chance to get these ever. 

So it is not the Wolff estate taking over, I was wrong in that other thread.

UMG taking over is fine, but we will still only get to see it in bits and pieces. I dream of an archive where you can see every single photo, organized by session. There would be one folder per session.

5 minutes ago, david weiss said:

I didn't see this one. What was the title of it or the item number please. Thanks

David, Chuck bought the art print of Horace and Monk, not the silver gelatin photo. https://www.mosaicrecordsimages.com/sales-specials/2pianosl-fine-art-print-sg2px-7kcmd-k9aec

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I broke down an got a couple - Horace watching Monk and Fats behind Wardell.

Edit to say one more - Don Cherry and Henry Grimes.

Good buys, those! I'm itching to get one or two more. I wonder if they come matted. The contact sheets look so tempting!

After quite a bit of procrastination I have put in an order for the Jackie Mac ‘High Frequency’ 17x22 fine print which was on ‘special’. Must have been the only one as it is now gone from the site.

I have a number of these 17x22 fine prints framed up in black and they look fantastic. Have had my eye on that McLean for years and I would probably be kicking myself if I let it go. The only issue now is where to put it !

R-2078875-1262785742.jpeg.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

I have had several of these prints in my cart but i just couldn't pull the trigger. I have tons of autographed photos that I don't have the wall space for so I really don't have the wall space for any of these. I really wanted the one with Coltrane, Griffin & Mobley, even if it was a bit ruined by a cloud of cigarette smoke.

8 hours ago, sidewinder said:

After quite a bit of procrastination I have put in an order for the Jackie Mac ‘High Frequency’ 17x22 fine print which was on ‘special’. Must have been the only one as it is now gone from the site.

I have a number of these 17x22 fine prints framed up in black and they look fantastic. Have had my eye on that McLean for years and I would probably be kicking myself if I let it go. The only issue now is where to put it !

My answer for the limited display space is rotation. Store the artwork in a closet, and use the available wall on the mood basis. 

Just received an email from Mosaic - my order is shipped.

The prints will need to be matted and framed. Let's share ideas and solutions on the frame choices and mattes!

Obviously, archival quality mattes, and art glass. Won't be cheap!

Same here, mine has just shipped too.

I’m fortunate that a local framer over here did up a set for me around 10 years ago of prints I bought from Mosaic at a previous sale. That batch included Freddie Hubbard, Melvin Lastie and Art Farmer and I noticed some of those on the site this time. The framer did a brilliant job with matting and framing in a Matt black frame with white border - even added the session details/date in pencil on the bottom. I’m hoping that I can pop round and just ask for ‘another one of these please’ :).

Good idea on the rotation - I think I’ve identified a bit of spare space that will be just the job though.