Amazing amount of work in these collections.

I only bought the first edition of the Prestige disco which has fallen apart from frequent use, but I'm lucky to find most of them in a Frankfurt library, even can take them home for four weeks. I use them whenever needed. Great work. Some minor omissions or errors, but only about 1% of the entries.

There is another one of the Capitol labels, available only on CDR from some Dutch publisher: https://www.names-and-numbers.nl/Frameset.html

Similar to Mike, I have (had) access to several of them through the local library.
And I do admit that at the time (in the course of the 90s) I did let the photocopier I had access to run hot so I would not have to return to the library each time. ;)
So I got what I need of the Savoy, Verve and Chess discographies (which means e.g. that in the case of the Savoy I skipped most of the Gospel section). 

8 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

The 2 Chess books include Aristocrat, Checker, Argo, Cadet, etc.

Say Chuck, does this info from the web page https://www.bsnpubs.com/chess/argo600.html check out in the Argo section?

Years and years ago I was on the lookout for Argo records and especially this one but have never been certain it existed (I think Eddie Higgins asked Richard Evans on my behalf, and he said he thought it did come out, that he recalled a photo session in front of a Chicago soul food restaurant.

LPS-675 - Home Cookin' - Richard Evans Trio [1961]

2 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Hi Chuck, may you restore the link? I can't see it.

263792217_4890086187669031_1269635020038

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Say Chuck, does this info from the web page https://www.bsnpubs.com/chess/argo600.html check out in the Argo section?

Years and years ago I was on the lookout for Argo records and especially this one but have never been certain it existed (I think Eddie Higgins asked Richard Evans on my behalf, and he said he thought it did come out, that he recalled a photo session in front of a Chicago soul food restaurant.

LPS-675 - Home Cookin' - Richard Evans Trio [1961]

I will check.

16 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Here is the listing. I posted a query on facebook to see if anyone knew anything.

258734972_4909290462415270_2446935680226

Interesting.  Here is a predecessor LP with Evans/Wilson, but a different drummer.  Never seen this one before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313565012210

Edit - I see Dan made reference to this one in a 2008 post ... 😊

Edited by Eric

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

Interesting.  Here is a predecessor LP with Evans/Wilson, but a different drummer.  Never seen this one before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313565012210

Edit - I see Dan made reference to this one in a 2008 post ... 😊

Yeah that Richard's Almanac had a CD release at some point by the Andorrans? Or maybe not. You would think that with Jack Wilson on piano, a two-fer needle drop would have come out by now. This thing must be so rare ...

Regarding the Ruplli work...my first experience with such a thing was as a freshman at NTSU/UNT, fall of 1974. I spent hours in the music library (an expansive entire floor of the main library building). the first ones on the shelf were the Rust & Jepsen volumes. Rust...I was not really needful of that at the time (or so I thought...), and the Jepsen was really groovy (and hardbound!), but stopped too soon to be really satisfying.

And then, there was this thing called The Prestige Label. Hmmm....a whole book about just one label? Prestige was a label that had always been easy to get back home, as a teenager, so I figured, ok, let's look at this, I bet I have most of this, surely.

Well, no, I didn't. Not even close. Plenty of people and records in there that I never knew existed, and DAMN, what I have and what I thought I "knew" ws hardly a dop on the iceberg.

Then, as now, if you want to get an idea of what you don't know, a good library is your friend, your close friend.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I knew there was ... and why match with Norman Simmons unless they literally didn't have any copy of this other release?

It is listed in the Lord disco, but not on discogs. I wouldn't bet my hat that it exists.

Lord has his data from Ruppli. 

Are these printed discographies really needed? The Discogs site is very thorough, and they (usually, but not always) correct or add to their listings if they are emailed.

The only book discograpies I have owned were the old Jepsen ones. They were good, but by no means complete. Now, they would be of little use.

A printed discography has the disadvantage of being out of date as soon as it is published - that is why I publish my discographies online. They should be online, but who pays the people who put so much work into them? Discogs depends on whoever enters the data. Sometimes accurate and complete, more often not. And it is release based, not session based, which is the option less satisfying.