Bobby Hutcherson "Total Eclipse"

Shrdlu

I got this one out again a couple of days ago. I had the LP of it in the 1970s, but now I use a CD.

This is a superb session, with Harold Land, Chick Corea, Reggie Johnson and Joe Chambers. It occurred during a three-week time together.

It was not recorded by Rudy, but the sound is good, and the CD, from 1988, by Malcolm Addey, is excellent. No need for a Japanese upgrade, though there is a recent Japanese CD.

Five stars all round.

I agree. Terrific session! Interesting also to hear Corea backing Hutcherson from that time period. The compositions are all such good starting points for improvisation. 

I don't think sound is up to RVG standards, but it serves the setting and material well enough. Original vinyl and also the Addey sound best in my opinion. Japanese Toshiba and King are a step behind, and 80 DMM vinyl sounds very dull in comparison. 

My favorite Hutcherson album. 

Enjoyed this one since I got the Pathe Marconi vinyl back in the 1980s, which sounded OK sonically at the time to me. Have a Liberty vinyl and also a blue label copy,  plus at least one copy on CD, so you could say it is a favourite.

The sound of the session is totally unlike RVG. ‘Ethereal’ would sum it up for me.

Edited by sidewinder

7 hours ago, BFrank said:

I always get sad seeing that cover, knowing that he was afflicted with emphysema over his last years

I’ve thought that a time or two myself.

Joe Henderson too, re: the cover of Mode For Joe — who also struggled with emphysema over his last few years too.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 6.12.2021 at 7:20 AM, BFrank said:

I always get sad seeing that cover, knowing that he was afflicted with emphysema over his last years

and he bites the Cigarette with his teeth, I never saw something like that. 
I think I never saw a foto of Hank Mobley without a cigarette.
And remember those early BN fotos of Fats Navarro and Miles Davis holding the cigarette while playing. Fats already may have had TB on that foto...
Same with Monk playing piano with the cigarette in his mouth. 
Bud lying in the hospital bed in France late 1963 while he had TB and got a visit from Johnny Griffin and Francis Paudras and he smokes in the hospital bed.... incredible .

I must admit I also like to smoke a cigarette, but only if I´m extremly happy and relaxed. Having afternoon coffee with my wife........after a good meal. After a good fishing day before I drive home.....things like that ...

37 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I must admit I also like to smoke a cigarette, but only if I´m extremly happy and relaxed. Having afternoon coffee with my wife........after a good meal. After a good fishing day before I drive home.....things like that ...

You are lucky to be able to control it like that. The vast majority of smokers cannot. Miles Davis once said that it was harder to quit smoking than heroin. Highly addictive drug with serious health issues. 

9 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

You are lucky to be able to control it like that. The vast majority of smokers cannot. Miles Davis once said that it was harder to quit smoking than heroin. Highly addictive drug with serious health issues. 

Well I smoked more when I was young. But at almost 62 you really concentrate on what you do: 

I don´t listen to dozens of albums while doing housework or cooking or checking my mails like I did when I was younger.
Now I choose one certain album, sit down, close my eyes and listen to every aspect of it. 

Same with fishing: I don´t go fishing 2 or 3 times in the week before going to the office, driving home at 6.00, having a shower and dressing for the office.... , I choose a certain beautiful day, maybe one or two times in the  month.

And I smoke a cigarette only if I really have those moments I described before. No doctor ever said it would be too harmful in this manner, only one female doctor once asked me if I wouldn´t think to quit it. I said why, and then she said "ok, that means 3 cigarettes per day, ok". I answered "Four cigarettes, you forgot the cigarette after making love:lol:

On 9.12.2021 at 9:48 AM, Gheorghe said:

and he bites the Cigarette with his teeth, I never saw something like that. 

I never smoked, but how you you keep a cigarette in your mouth when you are grinning? Without using a hand?

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Lousy font !

In LP size it is much less lousy. I like the photo.

21 minutes ago, Son Of Ice Bag said:

"Total Eclipse" and "San Francisco" are among my all-time favourites.

Right on!  Along with Happenings and Medina and Cirrus and ...

22 minutes ago, Son Of Ice Bag said:

I don't like the cover of "San Francisco". The cover of "Total Eclipse" ist great, one of the first after Reid Miles quit doing covers for Blue Note.

When my wife saw the photo on San Francisco, she said it looked "goofy."

I sorta like it.  Deliberate intimacy.