Bobby Hutcherson "Total Eclipse"

Shrdlu

Richard Havers doesn't like the cover of "Total Eclipse": "Neither did Reid Miles design the cover and boy does it show. Instead of a unique Blue Note sleeve, the cover artwork could have been designed by just about any major label. One designer can sure make a difference!" (uncomproming expression, page 303)

That's right for "San Francisco", but not for "Total Eclipse". I think "Total Eclipse" has a "unique Blue Note sleeve". Great music, great Cover.

1 hour ago, Son Of Ice Bag said:

Funny choice, again with Chick Corea as side-man. It contains "La fiesta". Great version of this song.

Also the first recorded version from before Corea founded Return to Forever, IIRC. The music on that whole album is great. Could an album having both Corea and Jan Hammer on Fender Rhodes *not* be great? 

Edited by Daniel A

On 12/11/2021 at 2:46 PM, Son Of Ice Bag said:

Funny choice, again with Chick Corea as side-man. It contains "La fiesta". Great version of this song.

Awesome Elvin album. Haven't dug the Hutch out in many years but it is a fine one. Glad not to smoke anymore. Perhaps my favorite jazz smoking pic that isn't Joe Henderson:

R-2041700-1260538536.jpeg.jpg

I love San Francisco, but the production seems to have been a bit sloppy.  The song titles were completely messed up -- originally the first tune was labeled as "A Night in Barcelona" (actually it is "Goin' Down South") and the second was "Goin' Down South" (the real title is "Prints Tie"), etc..  Also, even though I am not familiar with the oeuvre of Joe Sample, I doubt the title of the third tune is really "Jazz" -- maybe it was a working title?

Edited by mhatta

8 hours ago, mhatta said:

I love San Francisco, but the production seems to have been a bit sloppy.  The song titles were completely messed up -- originally the first tune was labeled as "A Night in Barcelona" (actually it is "Goin' Down South") and the second was "Goin' Down South" (the real title is "Prints Tie"), etc..  Also, even though I am not familiar with the oeuvre of Joe Sample, I doubt the title of the third tune is really "Jazz" -- maybe it was a working title?

Surprise!

On 12/11/2021 at 2:46 PM, Son Of Ice Bag said:

FWIW, "Merry-Go-Round" is my favorite of all Elvin's Blue Note LPs, and it's one of the three records I recommend at the of the chapter about him in my book -- the other two are Trane's A Love Surpreme" and Wayne's "Ju Ju." 

On 2021-12-16 at 5:36 AM, Mark Stryker said:

FWIW, "Merry-Go-Round" is my favorite of all Elvin's Blue Note LPs, and it's one of the three records I recommend at the of the chapter about him in my book -- the other two are Trane's A Love Surpreme" and Wayne's "Ju Ju." 

I think I have actually listened to "Merry-Go-Round" more times than "Ju Ju" and definitely more than any other album under Elvin’s name. 🙂

There is a diversity to the settings which I think sustains interest; it is still a very well-balanced album.