Jimmy Smith "Plays Fats Waller"

Shrdlu

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/14/2021 at 9:07 AM, CJ Shearn said:

The Jimmy session I find (though I'll still get it to complete my Jimmy Smith collection rebuild eventually that should have stayed in the can) was Straight Life. That session just doesn't really work, especially coming off something as hot as Crazy! Baby

"Straight Life" is not a terribly exciting album. Two tracks cook a bit: "Stuffy" and "Jimmy's Blues". I wouldn't rush to buy this.

3 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

"Straight Life" is not a terribly exciting album. Two tracks cook a bit: "Stuffy" and "Jimmy's Blues". I wouldn't rush to buy this.

The title track too.  I'm a Jimmy Smith Blue Note completist so I'll go for it again.  I had before the fire his entire Blue Note output on CD, including the three Japanese albums.  Started collecting JOS on CD at age 13 so that was a bit of a huge blow.

On 12/18/2021 at 1:42 AM, bertrand said:

Did Quentin Warren ever take solos with Jimmy Smith?

Yes, the below posted videos, a few on Crazy! Baby (his best solos), Bucket!, one on Prayer Meetin' the Salle Pleyel, Mai 28 1965 discs, and I think a few solos on Bashin, the trio material.  Was he the greatest guitarist ever? No when you look at who JOS had as guitarists, especially Burrell, Benson and Wes.  Eddie McFadden was a better soloist IMO in regards to Jimmy's "regular" guitarists.  Quentin? he was there to provide a buffer for Jimmy to cook, and when you view it at that angle, he's not half bad.

Edited by CJ Shearn

The main reason for having a guitar is that, when soloing, Jimmy's right hand is playing the melody on the top manual and his left hand is completely occupied doing the bass line at the left end of the lower manual, so he can't comp with his left hand as a pianist would do. The guitar does the comping. Having guitar solos as well is great, of course.

Thanks for the summary of their solos.

Here are the details for the other 1600 series Smith album, "Lonesome Road".

Jimmy Smith Trio

Jimmy Smith, organ; Eddie McFadden, guitar; Donald Bailey, drums.

Manhattan Towers, NYC, November 20, 1957

tk.2 Our Love Is Here To Stay Blue Note (J) TOCJ-1615
tk.4 Lonesome Road -
tk.5 Margie -
tk.9 Diane -
tk.10 Blue Lou -
tk.11 Taking A Chance On Love -
tk.12 Danny Boy -
tk.13 I Want A Little Girl -

* Blue Note (J) TOCJ-1615   Jimmy Smith - Lonesome Road   1996

I don't think this session exists elsewhere.

It's a very nice session, with plenty of cooking moments. The belch setting, which I don't like, appears at times, but the tracks are still enjoyable. There are a couple of tracks where it sounds like something an old lady would play at an old folks' home, but no harm is done. I recommend the album - if you want to brave the Discogs listings.

Late to the game but ...
I have the album "Plays Fats Waller" on the "Jimmy Smith Seven Classic Albums Vol. 3" 4-CD box set on Real Gone Jazz (yes! :D) and this thread has prompted me to pull out the set again for a spin to revive my memory.

Certainly atypical and not the most exciting or memorable JS but far from down in the "Music to Brush Your Teeth By" league either. For me it's nice enough as stimulating accompaniment music for my office work (certain kinds of it), like some Shirley Scott albums or others. So like Dub Modal or Danasgoodstuff said - it makes for a change and serves a purpose if you take it for what it is and do not insist on rabble-rousing JS all the way. ^_^

Edited by Big Beat Steve

11 hours ago, felser said:

Can't imagine anyone, when they're in the mood for some Jimmy Smith, choosing to play this one out of the dozens of albums he recorded.  Just fills a slot on the BN shelf,

I for one tend to choose to play it for its contents - not because it's Jimmy Smith.

The only snag being that its contents are spread over 2 CDs on that multi-CD box set and sandwiched between "Back At The Chicken Shack" and "Bashin'". ;)

14 hours ago, felser said:

Can't imagine anyone, when they're in the mood for some Jimmy Smith, choosing to play this one out of the dozens of albums he recorded.  Just fills a slot on the BN shelf,

I haven’t played a lot of his music lately. If I’m reaching for some soul jazz, it’s more likely to be Lonnie Smith, Brother Jack or Groove Holmes. That being said I played Six Views of the Blues lately. 

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I for one tend to choose to play it for its contents - not because it's Jimmy Smith.

The only snag being that its contents are spread over 2 CDs on that multi-CD box set and sandwiched between "Back At The Chicken Shack" and "Bashin'". ;)

Which set is that?  

19 hours ago, felser said:

I don't have any other Jimmy Smith so I don't have anything to compare it to, negatively or otherwise. I just liked it in isolation I guess.

It had a good relaxed groove which hit the spot at the time.b

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I don't have any other Jimmy Smith so I don't have anything to compare it to, negatively or otherwise. I just liked it in isolation I guess.

It had a good relaxed groove which hit the spot at the time.b

Merry Christmas, Mark!  Good subject for much further research then.  Start here!

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, felser said:

Merry Christmas, Mark!  Good subject for much further research then.  Start here!

Thanks John, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

It's a major gap in my musical life, I realise.  I will engage in my first tutorial tomorrow, no better way to spend Boxing Day!

18 hours ago, Brad said:

I haven’t played a lot of his music lately. If I’m reaching for some soul jazz, it’s more likely to be Lonnie Smith, Brother Jack or Groove Holmes. That being said I played Six Views of the Blues lately. 

I went through a similar Jimmy drought, recently. It ended when I discovered his Verve records, like The Cat and Root Down.

17 hours ago, felser said:

Which set is that?  

Like jazzbo said (and like I mentioned in my first post in this thread)...

A budget P.D. release (sneered upon by some, I know ...) but a good introductory package.

https://www.discogs.com/de/release/13726466-Jimmy-Smith-Jimmy-Smith-Vol3-Seven-Classic-Albums