Interesting Tranche of Jazz Vinyl from Carolina Soul Up on Ebay

Dan Gould

https://www.ebay.com/sch/carolinasoul/m.html?item=384587826307&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Email from Carolina Soul below. I can certainly vouch for their standards, one of the best sellers on Discogs for sure. And some of these items look pretty cool even though I won't be bidding.

Holiday gift idea: treat yourself to a piece of Jazz history! This week it is our pleasure to offer a very special collection, chock full of classic titles in wonderful condition, with more than half autographed by Jazz greats. All 700 albums ending on auction on Sunday and Monday once belonged to the late Lew Keck of Durham, NC. A lifelong jazz enthusiast and avid concertgoer, Lew met countless jazz performers after their shows and asked them to sign the jackets of albums that they played on. What's more, by carefully affixing ticket stubs to many of the jackets and saving the concert programs, Lew effectively created a document of the concerts and his encounters with the musicians. Don't miss this opportunity: all of these listings end on Sunday, December 19th, and Monday, December 20th.

I went through the entire list. It was extensive and there were some cool LPs in there. But many of the autographs were... weird. He had band members sign LPs they played on and not their leader dates. It just seems weird to me to bring a Roland Hanna LP to a Larry Coryell and George Mraz show to get them to sign it. Why not have Coryell sign one of his own LPs? There are a lot of them like this.

BTW - just go to Dan's link and click "Completed Items".

Image 1 - Roland Hanna - Gershwin Carmichael Cats LP - CTI RVG VG++ Autograph

On 12/23/2021 at 9:27 AM, bresna said:

I went through the entire list. It was extensive and there were some cool LPs in there. But many of the autographs were... weird. He had band members sign LPs they played on and not their leader dates. It just seems weird to me to bring a Roland Hanna LP to a Larry Coryell and George Mraz show to get them to sign it. Why not have Coryell sign one of his own LPs? There are a lot of them like this.

BTW - just go to Dan's link and click "Completed Items".

Image 1 - Roland Hanna - Gershwin Carmichael Cats LP - CTI RVG VG++ Autograph

Did you bid on anything. Some of them went for high prices. 

Carolina Soul = "the new bastards" (sorta)

This was a fun auction to follow.  I thought about it on a couple items, but did not want to pay the autograph premium.

On 12/16/2021 at 4:28 PM, Dan Gould said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/carolinasoul/m.html?item=384587826307&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Email from Carolina Soul below. I can certainly vouch for their standards, one of the best sellers on Discogs for sure. And some of these items look pretty cool even though I won't be bidding.

Hey Dan - how does one search for a seller on Discogs?  I have bought a number of things from them on eBay.  Also bought a copy of their book for my son, who knows some of the folks involved in the business from his college DJ days.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316419710/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Eric

11 minutes ago, Eric said:

Hey Dan - how does one search for a seller on Discogs?

I wasn't sure how to Eric but you can plug in carolinasoul and you'll get their store. (Usually I end up searching their stock only when I find that they have a copy of what I am searching for that is in acceptable condition/price. Then I know I can find other things at a good price and go with them.)

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?q=carolinasoul

9 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I wasn't sure how to Eric but you can plug in carolinasoul and you'll get their store. (Usually I end up searching their stock only when I find that they have a copy of what I am searching for that is in acceptable condition/price. Then I know I can find other things at a good price and go with them.)

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?q=carolinasoul

Thanks Dan - good strategy.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Damn - I would like this for my wall but what is with that sticker? I get that they wanted to remember the concert where they got that autograph but why not just slide a piece of paper into the LP sleeve instead of sticking a sticker onto the cover???

Image 1 - Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer LP - Blue Note - BST-84173 RVG VG++ Autograph

People in North Carolina are weird. 

On 1/5/2022 at 1:47 PM, bresna said:

Damn - I would like this for my wall but what is with that sticker? I get that they wanted to remember the concert where they got that autograph but why not just slide a piece of paper into the LP sleeve instead of sticking a sticker onto the cover???

Image 1 - Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer LP - Blue Note - BST-84173 RVG VG++ Autograph

This went for $385. Way more than I thought and much more than I was willing to pay. Certainly too much with that sticker on there. Even crazier is the autographed DMM LP of "Adam's Apple" that went for $771! Ouch. Just because there was no sticker??

Image 1 - Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple LP - Blue Note France Stereo DMM VG++ Autograph Obi

On 1/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, Dmitry said:

! What a collection!  Is the original owner deceased? Are they selling on consignment?

See my original post. Owner is dead. I doubt this is consignment they made a deal with the heir(s).

I have to say I am shocked at the price on what Kevin has shared and while I can understand an "autograph" premium there ought to be a noticeable "non-removable sticker" debit.

47 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

If Beatles “Butcher” covers can be peeled, stickers can possibly be removed — fully recognizing it would probably be a delicate operation to do it “right”.

If you buy that LP for Shorter's autograph (and why else would anyone pay so much for it?), you are not going to attempt to peel that sticker. Sure, it might peel off clean, but it is more likely to tear off the top layer of the cover. Even if it peeled off clean, the sticker outline would likely still be there and there may be a sticky residue. I'd just leave it on there if I had won that auction.

BTW - aren't peeled Beatles "butcher" covers worth less than unpeeled ones? I could have sworn I read that once...

1 hour ago, bresna said:

This went for $385. Way more than I thought and much more than I was willing to pay. Certainly too much with that sticker on there. Even crazier is the autographed DMM LP of "Adam's Apple" that went for $771! Ouch. Just because there was no sticker??

Image 1 - Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple LP - Blue Note France Stereo DMM VG++ Autograph Obi

Wait, the White B went for $385?! DMM for almost $800?! 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

See my original post. Owner is dead. I doubt this is consignment they made a deal with the heir(s).

I have to say I am shocked at the price on what Kevin has shared and while I can understand an "autograph" premium there ought to be a noticeable "non-removable sticker" debit.

Got it. Thanks! I wasn't reading attentively and missed the "late Lew Keck" part.

Just now, Dmitry said:

Wait, the White B went for $385?! DMM for almost $800?! 

Yes! Wild huh? Clearly the buyers are not buying these for the record. :) Those DMM pressings kinds suck.

I actually have both of those LPs with small b labels and VAN GELDER in the deadwax, so I only wanted one to put on my wall.

Just now, bresna said:

Yes! Wild huh? Clearly the buyers are not buying these for the record. :) Those DMM pressings kinds suck.

I actually have both of those LPs with small b labels and VAN GELDER in the deadwax, so I only wanted one to put on my wall.

Madness. It's hard to believe someone is stupid enough and at the same time wealthy enough to pay 30x more than they would've otherwise, had it not been signed by Wayne. Who is still living, may he live as long as he wished!

On 1/5/2022 at 1:47 PM, bresna said:

Those stickers ruin the record, in my opinion.  I wonder if the owner ever thought these would be sold. 

The stickers don't bother me - they are part of the charm (to each his own, I know).  This dude had an amazing collection and hit an large number of live shows, especially for the Triangle area.  He was one of us and then some.

I won Andrew Hill "Grass Roots" - ticket of the show attended (to secure the autograph) on the front, sticker on the rear.

The reason I bought this was for Hill's note on the back (above the autograph) which says "I love this L.P."

Fortunately the price was a little more modest than the Shorter lps.  Nothing against Shorter, but I would much prefer a Hill autograph!

While I did not buy it for "investment" purposes, I suspect it will hold its own against other autographed copies of Grass Roots :)

Edited by Eric

8 hours ago, Eric said:

The stickers don't bother me - they are part of the charm (to each his own, I know).  This dude had an amazing collection and hit an large number of live shows, especially for the Triangle area.  He was one of us and then some.

I won Andrew Hill "Grass Roots" - ticket of the show attended (to secure the autograph) on the front, sticker on the rear.

The reason I bought this was for Hill's note on the back (above the autograph) which says "I love this L.P."

Fortunately the price was a little more modest than the Shorter lps.  Nothing against Shorter, but I would much prefer a Hill autograph!

While I did not buy it for "investment" purposes, I suspect it will hold its own against other autographed copies of Grass Roots :)

I was able to get Andrew Hill to sign my LP of "Judgement!" after a show at Birdland, so I wasn't looking at that one.

I saw Wayne Shorter live many times but it was always in a large venue where there was no opportunity to get him to sign anything. The same goes for Herbie Hancock & Sonny Rollins. I was never able to interact with any of these Jazz greats when they played at the Berklee Performance Center. The local clubs, sure, but not there.

8 hours ago, Eric said:

This dude had an amazing collection and hit an large number of live shows, especially for the Triangle area. 

Even pre-Covid, live jazz in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel-Hill) was much more sparse that it was in Mr. Keck's hey day when he was getting these signed. These are impressive in terms of representing that history and who came through here. 

8 hours ago, Eric said:

I suggest you print the eBay page for the lot you won, and store with the record; also save the screenshot of it. It's iron-proof provenance. eBay doesn't keep these pages up for more than three months. They used to keep all their completed auction pages available for years, but stopped doing that about 5 years ago, which was a big disappointment for me.