“The Basics Of David Baker: A Conversation”

In honor of what would have been jazz artist and educator David Baker’s 90th birthday today, I’m posting an extended interview that I did with him in 2007. In part one, David  talks about the early days of the Indianapolis jazz scene, playing with Wes Montgomery and with George Russell at the Five Spot in New York City, why he had to abandon the trombone for cello, and the beginnings of the jazz-studies program at Indiana University:  

The Basics Of David Baker: A Conversation, Part One

• 3 months later...

Apropos of this topic, I heard for the first time the other day the Bill Evans/George Russell LP on Columbia, "Living Time," taped in 1972. First of all, what a wild, unexpected recording; not sure how I missed it all these years. But the reason I bring it up here is that I noticed that David Baker is listed in the trombone section. I may have been vaguely aware that at some point his jaw healed to the point where he was able to return to the trombone, but I was not aware he had recorded on the instrument that late. Unless the personnel on the jacket is listed incorrectly.